U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:52 AM

1,579 posts, read 1,547,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
See title... Is it possible? I always seem to have a lot of luck making it final round interviews but I have terrible difficulty actually securing offers. I always try to seek out feedback because I want to know where I could improve, (especially when I feel I aced the interview), but most companies are very adamant about only providing a standard rejection or providing some "safe" and generic reason because these companies are afraid of a having a lawsuit on hand.

The one I get the most now is just simply the "You are an excellent candidate but we found someone better suited for the role". Umm, if I'm so excellent where should I be improving??! I just really wish companies would provide feedback so I could actually work on weak areas if they exist!

Any tips for digging the real answer why you weren't hired out of the company?
Other than telling you that you were not selected, is the only blanket statement they are at the least obligated to inform you. If they were to tell you or any of us the 'true' reason why you/we weren't hired, they would possibly open themselves up to a lawsuit.

If there was a modicum of respect towards you, they would give you constructive feedback and encourage you to apply again next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:03 AM

486 posts, read 722,325 times
Quote:
The one I get the most now is just simply the "You are an excellent candidate but we found someone better suited for the role". Umm, if I'm so excellent where should I be improving??! I just really wish companies would provide feedback so I could actually work on weak areas if they exist!
You should be thankful you get rejection letters/emails at all from companies you have interviewed with. I have had 14 different interviews since April 2016 and I have received only 4 rejections back from the companies saying "they went with a better fit." Most of the time after I interview I never hear from the company again.

Quote:
Any tips for digging the real answer why you weren't hired out of the company?
I have no tips, wish I did. I "ass"-ume the company's "Better fit" was either:

1) No one was hired. (fake job)
2) Job was given to an internal candidate. (which they planned all along)
3) The brother-in-law of the sales manager was hired. (it's who you know, not what you know)

Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,200,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
But they don't even always tell you DURING the interview either. Usually if they say they have concerns about lack of experience, they will tack on that they can train me so it must not be that much of an issue. Worse yet if I don't even get an interview they won't let me persuade them because it's usually due to failing their stupid test and they won't tell me where exactly I failed.
How am I supposed to persuade them I am the best for the job if they don't tell me what's exactly wrong with me in their eyes?

So it's okay for them to not have to take so much time on the hiring process when I as a lowly applicant can take years to find work? Just because they make "real" money their time is more valuable than mine? I'm already far behind the world. If I don't get hired soon I won't have much working years ahead.

I get tired of looking because it's always the same crap so there's rarely more than one job to wait for. I only apply for entry level jobs yet they don't want to even let me persuade them for a job that's supposed to be entry level.
They don't tell you, because they don't know themselves. Especially in team interviewing environments, they gather information on everyone and then try to do a summary of everyone and make choices for the next step in the process.

The thing to do, is always put your best foot forward from the time you create the resume, during the phone interviews, e-mails and the in-person interviews. You also have to do your home work on each position you apply for. Study the company, try to find out what department/group the company is in. Try to communicate with someone on Linkedin who works there and ask questions. This way, if you don't have exact experience on one aspect, find out what is most important to them and highlight that on your resume and in communications with them. Often times we are left to determine what requirement has the most weight and don't know what they are really after. Looking for a job is more work than the job itself, so if you feel like you are putting in a lot of effort research this, then you are on the right track.

Always try to find someone who works at the company to get more information and see if they would be helpful to use them as a reference. Also, many companies pay a referral bonus to employees for recommending someone they hire, so there is a financial incentive for them to help people. Often the company's benefits are listed on their website and sometimes they list in there as a benefit referral bonuses.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:36 PM

429 posts, read 296,265 times
oh please. they know all right why they reject people. Like many already said the reasons may not be legal oftentimes. it is what it is. sometimes job seekers reject creepy/weird companies.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 PM

3,315 posts, read 1,880,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
They don't tell you, because they don't know themselves. Especially in team interviewing environments, they gather information on everyone and then try to do a summary of everyone and make choices for the next step in the process.

The thing to do, is always put your best foot forward from the time you create the resume, during the phone interviews, e-mails and the in-person interviews. You also have to do your home work on each position you apply for. Study the company, try to find out what department/group the company is in. Try to communicate with someone on Linkedin who works there and ask questions. This way, if you don't have exact experience on one aspect, find out what is most important to them and highlight that on your resume and in communications with them. Often times we are left to determine what requirement has the most weight and don't know what they are really after. Looking for a job is more work than the job itself, so if you feel like you are putting in a lot of effort research this, then you are on the right track.

Always try to find someone who works at the company to get more information and see if they would be helpful to use them as a reference. Also, many companies pay a referral bonus to employees for recommending someone they hire, so there is a financial incentive for them to help people. Often the company's benefits are listed on their website and sometimes they list in there as a benefit referral bonuses.
I wouldn't get any more information that would be helpful to me. They would just be saying what the job ad says..nothing beyond that.
If my disability was a concern, they wouldn't tell me because they'd be paranoid about getting sued and I know that it can be because one interviewer told me his concern was that I stuttered. Also there wouldn't be laws if it was never a concern to them.
If I asked them questions, it would be about myself and what concerns they would have because I am an unusual person that rarely fits qualifications on paper so if I was qualified they wouldn't understand how unless I got a chance to explain it to them.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:08 PM

299 posts, read 136,130 times
The best way for me to answer the original post is to provide a real example. At my last employer I wasn't given the authority to hire my own people. I was required to to go to the corporate office and involve my counterpart who covered another region. He was a big time bully and clearly didn't like me. I brought in 3 candidates one day and wanted to hire one of them. My counterpart was all pumped up about this candidate as well. While at my hotel I get an email from my colleague around 9 pm that evening (who copied the CEO for some reason), stating that he has rethought hiring the candidate because he left off that he had military experience on his resume and all of a sudden decided he didn't trust him. I responded to him and the CEO and explained my position, which was that career counselors advise us people in their fifties to to not look old on our resumes, but once we get in the door for an interview it's fine to talk about the progress in our careers (and the candidate did talk about his military record). Nevertheless my colleague responded and stated he didn't think the candidate had high integrity, and of course the CEO chimed in and said let's not hire him. I was of course very irritated, and the candidate sent me two emails and I couldn't respond because I found out the company checks emails. Fast forward three months later and I was fired. I called the candidate and told him what happened. He was very appreciative because he thought he nailed the interview and then heard nothing. Crap like my example happens all the time. Companies require you to interview with multiple people and if everyone doesn't agree you are out.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,996,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
The best way for me to answer the original post is to provide a real example. At my last employer I wasn't given the authority to hire my own people. I was required to to go to the corporate office and involve my counterpart who covered another region. He was a big time bully and clearly didn't like me. I brought in 3 candidates one day and wanted to hire one of them. My counterpart was all pumped up about this candidate as well. While at my hotel I get an email from my colleague around 9 pm that evening (who copied the CEO for some reason), stating that he has rethought hiring the candidate because he left off that he had military experience on his resume and all of a sudden decided he didn't trust him. I responded to him and the CEO and explained my position, which was that career counselors advise us people in their fifties to to not look old on our resumes, but once we get in the door for an interview it's fine to talk about the progress in our careers (and the candidate did talk about his military record). Nevertheless my colleague responded and stated he didn't think the candidate had high integrity, and of course the CEO chimed in and said let's not hire him. I was of course very irritated, and the candidate sent me two emails and I couldn't respond because I found out the company checks emails. Fast forward three months later and I was fired. I called the candidate and told him what happened. He was very appreciative because he thought he nailed the interview and then heard nothing. Crap like my example happens all the time. Companies require you to interview with multiple people and if everyone doesn't agree you are out.
I've had stuff like this happen to me several times (as a job candidate) and always wondered what went wrong. Had an amazing interview, or even had companies verbally tell me they wanted to make an offer (they needed time to put it together) or other encouraging words, then nothing. They would disappear without a trace. In fact, I just recently interviewed for one position where the hiring manager said she wanted to have me come back in to meet with the CFO as a formality type of thing. It was just part of their hiring process but she made it seem like I got the job. She said HR would contact me to setup the interview in a couple days (since the CFO had a busy schedule). It's been a month. I've followed up twice. I've heard nothing from them again!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:56 AM

299 posts, read 136,130 times
Quote:
I've had stuff like this happen to me several times (as a job candidate) and always wondered what went wrong. Had an amazing interview, or even had companies verbally tell me they wanted to make an offer (they needed time to put it together) or other encouraging words, then nothing. They would disappear without a trace. In fact, I just recently interviewed for one position where the hiring manager said she wanted to have me come back in to meet with the CFO as a formality type of thing. It was just part of their hiring process but she made it seem like I got the job. She said HR would contact me to setup the interview in a couple days (since the CFO had a busy schedule). It's been a month. I've followed up twice. I've heard nothing from them again!
You never know you may still get a call! I phone interviewed with a hiring manager on 6/29 and never heard a word so I wrote them off. Yesterday I received an email that they want me to come in for a face to face. I think many people are on vacation over the summer and it's hard to coordinate everyone's time.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,305,544 times
I've send an email before asking if I could do anything differently for next time, and they usually never respond.

The last one really puzzled me. I wanted this job so bad. It was perfect in every way. I was one of the last three to be interviewed. No idea why they didn't pick me. But I eventually let it go because they can only hire one person.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 AM

96 posts, read 65,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
You never know you may still get a call! I phone interviewed with a hiring manager on 6/29 and never heard a word so I wrote them off. Yesterday I received an email that they want me to come in for a face to face. I think many people are on vacation over the summer and it's hard to coordinate everyone's time.

I somewhat agree to a point. Here's my experience with "summer/vacation" timing issues. Some HR recruiters and hiring managers are just plain rude.

I interviewed with a VP (he rudely flipped though papers in the Skype interview - but that's a whole different topic...) from a financial services firm in the Bay Area in early June. I heard nothing back from this company until two weeks ago, when the dingbat recruiter sent me an email on Friday at 5pm requesting a meeting with me on the following Monday. I moved my appointments around on Monday to meet with her, only to be told that they moved forward with someone else. Seriously, wtf. Why couldn't she send a rejection email instead of wasting my time? I almost lost my temper, until the omnipotent force in the universe quickly put a zipper on my mouth. So I thought since I had her on the phone, I might as well ask her what I could've done differently, which she replied back that "they found a better fit".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or