U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,863,281 times

Advertisements

Dallas Morning News has an interesting column today about an employer who won't hire millennials unless they meet certain requirements. He also laid off a bunch of them. He has a marketing firm, so you would think he would want the young ones, but no. There is no one under the age of 28 at the law firm where I work (out of 50 or so employees).

Millennials need to get real about work world | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/DN-Hall_20bus.ART.State.Edition1.399c025.html - broken link)

Quotes:

It's not that millennials lack the creative genius or technological know-how that he's looking for. Far from it, he says. It's more that they lack the real-world grounding it takes to deal with responsibility, accountability and setbacks.
and

"They've been overparented, overindulged and overprotected," she says. "They haven't experienced that much failure, frustration, pain. We were so obsessed with protecting and promoting their self-esteem that they crumble like cookies when they discover the world doesn't revolve around them. They get into the real world and they're shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 16,332,146 times
Good article and all too true a problem in today's workplace.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
"Millenials"??

First time I've heard that one.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times
Have not read the article yet. Still need to get the DMN in the yard

I can see it though. We face it everyday and we do hire those over 21 w/ qualifications. A good majority of them are just not reliable. I sure don't remember being like that when I was in my 20's but times have changed. My dad is a semi-retired truck driver and he still gets calls to this day from places he put in apps for over 2 years ago. They want EXPERIENCED and RELIABLE employees and are having a hard time finding that in the younger crowd. Most of these companies are actually looking to hire the much older employee that in some cases is of retirement age. We have faced the same issues they have since we also hire drivers and it is they just flat out can not pass a drug test, can not get insured on our insurance due to too many tickets/wrecks, etc. In the past year alone we have had two new employees that have gotten pulled over for a basic commercial vehicle inspection and gotten ARRESTED due to outstanding warrants. Thank goodness both times they had only been there about a week or two and were simply riding w/ someone learning the ropes still. It really is starting to show the way that the parents overprotected these kids that being a "helicopter parent" was NOT in the best interest of their child to be a productive member of society.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,210 times
Since when have the Boomers been known as hardworkers? They invented the
'if you can't afford it, charge it' mentality.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

15,728 posts, read 26,762,482 times
Everyone is looking for something different at work. One of my instructors was brought into Sun Microsystems to determine why they had such a high turnover rate. What she found was that many of the former latch key kids were looking for a place to call home. She told the CEO that what they needed to do was put in a gym, a place to play video games and relax, put in a basketball court and other things that would make it feel more like home. They let the employees take time to do other things and guess what, they stayed all the time. Sun went from a 70% turnover rate to a 2% turnover rate.

These new kids that are entering the work force also have needs. They need a little structure. As the article stated, give them some boundaries and they will produce. Let them know in the beggining what is expected and let them do there thing. Encorage them and build them up and chances are these employees will be very successfull.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,888,687 times
Age discrimination is largely llegal, with a few exceptions provided by law, ie no drinking under 21, etc. Discrimination in employment for those over the age of 40 is prohibited in the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967. I'm not sure about having a minimum age though.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,377,322 times
I'd have to agree that these millennials (I like that word) are too soft. I follow school busses that stop at every house, then the parents load the kid into the car and back up the driveway so Junior doesn't have to walk all the way up the driveway. Now, I didn't have to walk through snow on my hands (uphill both ways), but these pampered babies won't get hired by me either.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,318,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Age discrimination is largely llegal, with a few exceptions provided by law, ie no drinking under 21, etc. Discrimination in employment for those over the age of 40 is prohibited in the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967. I'm not sure about having a minimum age though.
You can hire whatever age you want. You just cannot fire or discriminate on the job against people over 40. But if you do not wish to hire anybody under age 39, you are free to do so. If you do not wish to hire anybody over 35, you are free to do so too.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

12,014 posts, read 16,761,808 times
Where are all of these overindulgent, spoiling parents? I sure would have liked to have had one of those! And how dare anyone make assumptions that just because I'm 20 years old that I HAVEN'T dealt with failure, frustration, and pain? My age has no bearing on these things and in fact, what I've dealt with as a young adult speaks more than had these things occurred if I was 30, 40, or older.

Why shouldn't everything be taken as criticism? Criticism is a GOOD thing. I know of NO so called "millenial" who would say, as quoted in the article, "I don't mind living with my parents". These assumptions are ridiculous. Maybe it's different because I go to a college that is over 75% out of state? Maybe that's the attitude of state schools? I don't know. But I'm certainly not seeing this trend of people not taking responsibility.

If I'm not qualified for a job, I'm not qualified for a job. However, I do NOT want to be judged and denied opportunities simply because I was born in 1987 and happen to be part of some artificially constructed social grouping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or