U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM

2,593 posts, read 1,293,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That goes against everything employers say these days. They only want candidates who really want to work for them. If they find out that you're applying elsewhere, then they take it that you're just looking for any opportunity and truly don't believe that the particular company stands out from the rest.
Depends on whether it's a buyers market or a sellers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 5,669,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That goes against everything employers say these days. They only want candidates who really want to work for them. If they find out that you're applying elsewhere, then they take it that you're just looking for any opportunity and truly don't believe that the particular company stands out from the rest.
I worked at over 30 companies in my consulting career and that was not my experience.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 AM

299 posts, read 254,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Depends on whether it's a buyers market or a sellers market.
I have to say that sounds a bit unrealistic. I think jobs should expect that their not the only one you're applying to. The job market is tough these days. Is HR really that narcissistic to believe their company is THAT special that it's the only one I'm applying to? I get it's a dumb, careless mistake, but I think it's unrealistic to assume they want their company to be the "one and only" I'm applying to.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I worked at over 30 companies in my consulting career and that was not my experience.
Agreed. I don't think companies expect you to be pining for THEM and only THEM. There's TONS of companies and jobs out there... why would you limit yourself to just one opportunitY?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! So -- I decided (the night I realized that I sent the wrong cover-letter) to let it go and see if the manager noticed. HE DID. The next day he sent an email basically saying "thanks, but BY THE WAY, I hope you realize that we are ____ company not ___ company." From the sound of the e-mail it seemed he was peeved, annoyed, and unimpressed with my mistake. Basically -- he DEFINITELY noticed. So I sent an e-mail back basically saying I realized my mistake and I sincerely apologize and that I have attached the correct draft. I kept it simple, no excuses. They responded back saying "great!" so I don't know. I think I ruined my chance at the job, but I'm hoping I didn't burn any bridges and that I left on at least a semi-professional note. I realize it was a careless mistake, but I wish something this minimal wouldn't disqualify me from a position, because I really am qualified for this position and it seems to be a good fit, but talk about a BAD FIRST IMPRESSION!!!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
So, bottom line - I already know I'm screwed, but someone should help me feel better because I'm SO embarrassed.... borderline mortified AND I look like a complete careless, idiot. I hate feeling like this because I put a lot of pride in my work.

Long-story short: I am applying for a second part-time job. I'm a grad student with an internship, so I need something flexible. I applied to a nonprofit this morning and forgot to send a cover-letter. I e-mailed back once I got home from work and wrote a really nice cover letter... and apologized for forgetting to attach it. BUT, I addressed the cover letter (that I "forgot to send") to the WRONG nonprofit. Yes I'm serious. Yes i realize ITS very stupid. I am REALLY embarrassed.

I addressed the cover-letter to a VERY similar nonprofit, with a similar mission statement, but a completely different name. I even included the wrong nonprofit's mission statement. I am mortified and I have no idea how I let this slip past me. I've never done it before and mistakes like this REALLY aren't like me.

I don't know what to and that's where YOU ALL come in. Should I send a follow-up e-mail? I'm thinking probably not because I already sent an e-mail saying I had forgotten to send the original cover letter. I know I look like COMPLETE idiot. I don't need people to tell me that. Should I hope she doesn't notice??

****ty thing -- is this would have been a really cool gig, but I know I messed up my chances. I'm seriously so embarrassed!
Profusely apologize for sending the wrong cover letter and simply attach the correct cover letter. People know that someone of your skill set is looking for other work and applying to organizations with similar job titles. I think she will appreciate your candor and being quick to try to correct this unfortunate, but not unusual mistake.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,057,692 times
I think this depends upon the position. Is attention to detail required?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I think this depends upon the position. Is attention to detail required?
YES.....LOL Flunked that one.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,535,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
So, bottom line - I already know I'm screwed, but someone should help me feel better because I'm SO embarrassed.... borderline mortified AND I look like a complete careless, idiot. I hate feeling like this because I put a lot of pride in my work.

Long-story short: I am applying for a second part-time job. I'm a grad student with an internship, so I need something flexible. I applied to a nonprofit this morning and forgot to send a cover-letter. I e-mailed back once I got home from work and wrote a really nice cover letter... and apologized for forgetting to attach it. BUT, I addressed the cover letter (that I "forgot to send") to the WRONG nonprofit. Yes I'm serious. Yes i realize ITS very stupid. I am REALLY embarrassed.

I addressed the cover-letter to a VERY similar nonprofit, with a similar mission statement, but a completely different name. I even included the wrong nonprofit's mission statement. I am mortified and I have no idea how I let this slip past me. I've never done it before and mistakes like this REALLY aren't like me.

I don't know what to and that's where YOU ALL come in. Should I send a follow-up e-mail? I'm thinking probably not because I already sent an e-mail saying I had forgotten to send the original cover letter. I know I look like COMPLETE idiot. I don't need people to tell me that. Should I hope she doesn't notice??

****ty thing -- is this would have been a really cool gig, but I know I messed up my chances. I'm seriously so embarrassed!
I work in a nonprofit and have worked in nonprofits for several years. Depending on the market you are in, you may be legitimately screwed. A lot of the decision makers know each other within a nonprofit market (it can get a bit incestuous) and your name could get around.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I work in a nonprofit and have worked in nonprofits for several years. Depending on the market you are in, you may be legitimately screwed. A lot of the decision makers know each other within a nonprofit market (it can get a bit incestuous) and your name could get around.
Okkkayyyy?! Call me out on this if i'm wrong... but I REALLY don't think ONE cover-letter stumble will screw-up my entire career. Maybe if I ended up screwing up my organization's budget or somehow robbed money from where I work -- YEAH I'd be "screwed"... but one simple cover-letter mistake? I doubt she'll even remember me. I ended up e-mailing her back with the correct cover-letter and apologized. She said something along the lines of "Thank you!" She never e-mailed me back and I probably didn't get the job, but I doubt this will destroy my career. I have good references, am working towards a masters degree, intern and am working FT. I'll figure it out if she decides to throw my name around the nonprofit world, calling me a careless employee..... Also -- I doubt she'll have time to do that. Lol............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search