U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:34 AM
 
429 posts, read 296,372 times
Reputation: 809

Advertisements

I responded to a local ad in the newspaper. The name of the company was not given, no email/website or fax. The only thing given was a phone number and address with a short list of job duties. No title for job.I found it cryptic. So I called the number and spoke to this very rude and abrupt fast talking man.I emailed my resume to him at two different emails. He kept insisting he never got it. It seemed he was either technologically challenged or was lying.I google the address in the ad and it did not match the 2 real addressed for the company the man claimed he worked for. Neither the phone number nor the address in the ad matched the ones listed on the legitimate website for the actual company. His name is not found anywhere on the website.There is nothing on LinkedIn, Facebook or anywhere else on this guy whose name is "Max". I found another ad from March in the same newspaper, for the same job, stating the same thing in it except they want to pay "cash." It's an office job so this is not legal. I say he was either a scammer or some fly by night "employment agency". Guy never gave me his last name. His phone is not a professional number to any business. I cancelled the interview. - WTF is he? What company does he work for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 AM
 
429 posts, read 296,372 times
Reputation: 809
Maybe I've watched too much law and order, but better be safe than well, dead or raped. Or shipped off to China in a container only to be sold as a prostitute. BTW, dude was Russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Altadena, CA
1,579 posts, read 1,548,163 times
Reputation: 2949
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

I received an unsolicited email from a 'hiring manager' who wanted to pay me big money to be an at home personal assistant to a CEO of a company that doesn't even have a website. They wanted all my personal information via email. I told her that I am not interested because this was a scam.

If it's too good to be true, and information about the company is extremely vague, then just ignore it as it's most likely a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 AM
 
429 posts, read 296,372 times
Reputation: 809
the company is real, they have a website, FB and everything else. Their address doesn't match the one he gave in the ad. The address belongs to some evangelical-charismatic church and it's a multi floor building.It looks like one of those scientology buildings in Clearwater. So he's renting a suite in a large building? Does he belong to this church? I'm not looking to be forced into a cult. Does he even work for the real company? WEIRD. If you're a legitimate recruiter of the company or outside agency, man, just state that in the ad. Or during the phone conversation. He's had ads in that paper since March. In the March one he's looking for a "male employee" and he wants to pay "cash". Really.....oh....Richard Gere in American gigolo comes to mind. The ad I responded to said nothing about paying in "cash." But still I found all this very disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,810 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Reputation: 31111
My suggestion is to report this to the newspaper. They will not like the idea of someone using their paper for a scam,
and better yet, if found to be a scam, can use their investigation as a news story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM
 
429 posts, read 296,372 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My suggestion is to report this to the newspaper. They will not like the idea of someone using their paper for a scam,
and better yet, if found to be a scam, can use their investigation as a news story.
right so some employed reporters can make $ while I continue looking for a job.. They going to give me a cut of the $? I'm also not interested in being in the news either. Maybe the paper already knows what he's doing it and don't care? He's paying them $ obviously or he wouldn't have an ad in there. The ad appeared back in March. Then it was taken off it seems. I'm job searching. I don't have time or $ to snitch on others or file grievances. I only have a certain amount of free minutes per month on my cell. Not going to waste that. I'm not asking advice on what to do. I'm just relating "this is what happened". This is what's going on out there with job seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM
 
9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
Reputation: 14535
Clearly your attitude is deserving of getting ripped off. You got good advice yet you seem to want to permeate your comments with prejudicial comments. Hemlock's advice was perfect yet you found every reason to tear it apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 09:18 AM
 
2,083 posts, read 1,858,791 times
Reputation: 2680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
right so some employed reporters can make $ while I continue looking for a job.. They going to give me a cut of the $? I'm also not interested in being in the news either. Maybe the paper already knows what he's doing it and don't care? He's paying them $ obviously or he wouldn't have an ad in there. The ad appeared back in March. Then it was taken off it seems. I'm job searching. I don't have time or $ to snitch on others or file grievances. I only have a certain amount of free minutes per month on my cell. Not going to waste that. I'm not asking advice on what to do. I'm just relating "this is what happened". This is what's going on out there with job seekers.
...What?

You report it, that way other innocent job seekers don't fall for it.

Grow the hell up and act your age. Hemlock gave sound advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 02:10 PM
 
429 posts, read 296,372 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
...What?

You report it, that way other innocent job seekers don't fall for it.

Grow the hell up and act your age. Hemlock gave sound advice.
WOW. the hostility. Every job seeker is responsible for themselves, just like I was. I sniffed the dude out and decided not to interview. I'm not responsible for other people. So wait, every time I deal with somebody who is a "potential scammer" or unethical employment agency - I should take it on myself to report them? I don't see anybody warning ME about scammers, bad employment agencies, etc.

Buyer beware; it's on each individual to investigate who the other party is. I don't work for the Attorney general, or EEOC. I don't work for the consumer affairs, better business, or whoever.
YOU grow the hell up. I don't know who the hell you think you're talking to here. And you don't know my age so leave age out of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
 
17 posts, read 12,871 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
WOW. the hostility. Every job seeker is responsible for themselves, just like I was. I sniffed the dude out and decided not to interview. I'm not responsible for other people. So wait, every time I deal with somebody who is a "potential scammer" or unethical employment agency - I should take it on myself to report them? I don't see anybody warning ME about scammers, bad employment agencies, etc.

Buyer beware; it's on each individual to investigate who the other party is. I don't work for the Attorney general, or EEOC. I don't work for the consumer affairs, better business, or whoever.
YOU grow the hell up. I don't know who the hell you think you're talking to here. And you don't know my age so leave age out of it...
It's unrealistic to report every scam you come across, but I don't see the problem with reporting it in this case, especially if it will help not only other job seekers but the newspaper to be more vigilant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top