U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM

211 posts, read 299,529 times

Advertisements

I was always told that employers cannot ask a former employer your salary and that a person can always embellish their income.

When I accepted my current position I need to provide tax returns or a W-2s to verify my income. I am currently looking for a new position have been told I should embellish my current salary to get my desired amount. Can employers actually ask to see my paystubs from previous employers? I work in Corporate America so they do pretty extensive background checks to make sure everything is legit.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,247,409 times
Employers can ask you for anything and then it is up to you to decide how to handle it. Personally, I wouldn't provide the information. It is none of their business and it destroys your position when negotiating salary.

If they ask for it on an application, leave it blank. If they ask, some applicants ask what the salary range for the position is and go from there, but be prepared to provide a salary expectation number based on the position and what you bring to the table. I am sure there are a lot of blogs on how to handle the situation.

It is one big game.

They can ask previous employers, but most won't verify.

Bottom line, you have to convince the employer you are worth the money no matter what you made previously.

FYI, Massachusetts just passed a law making it illegal to ask applicants their past salaries.

Last edited by High Altitude; 08-10-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM

8,818 posts, read 13,312,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I was always told that employers cannot ask a former employer your salary and that a person can always embellish their income.

When I accepted my current position I need to provide tax returns or a W-2s to verify my income. I am currently looking for a new position have been told I should embellish my current salary to get my desired amount. Can employers actually ask to see my paystubs from previous employers? I work in Corporate America so they do pretty extensive background checks to make sure everything is legit.

Thanks
Sure and you can photoshop them. Most former employers are not going to give out salary willy-nillly. If they did I could just call up and ask how much my coworkers are making. Also with all the personal information breaches companies have gotten very sensitive to that.

As long as companies have no problem demanding information they have no right to I have no problem embellishing and photoshopping paystubs/w-2's

Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

FYI, Massachusetts just passed a law making it illegal to ask applicants their past salaries.
Which is a good idea. That is basically a wage form of price-fixing.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-10-2016 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 02:38 PM

211 posts, read 299,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Which is a good idea. That is basically a wage form a price-fixing.
I like that idea.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:03 PM

9,791 posts, read 17,006,304 times
Whomever told you that doesn't have any idea what they are talking about.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:20 PM

429 posts, read 296,669 times
Like some already stated, most employers are not going to provide written proof of your past salary and most will not disclose it verbally either. The only way the prospective employer gets that information is if YOU give them copies of tax returns, paystubs or W2s. IRS and other govt' agencies are not going to provide this to "third parties." I actually called one day posing as a prospective employer and was firmly told NO. Not to "third parties." You can get your own paperwork from IRS or Labor Dept and then provide copies, IF that's what you want. Everyone is afraid of lawsuits these days, even gov't agencies. I agree, demanding "proof" of past salary IS price fixing. How can you advance to a better salary if your future is only based on what you were paid before? YOU CAN'T.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 2,298,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Which is a good idea. That is basically a wage form of price-fixing.
But wouldn't the economy explode with job creation if the government stopped interfering with the business community? That's what companies claim, they can't operate or do things how they want because there's always some kind of pesky rule or regulation which prevents them from doing just that. With these regulations, they say that the losers are the employee and/or job applicant.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 PM

If they wouldn't constantly behave like moral cretins and cause public outrages there wouldn't need to be so many regulations. unfortunately companies over and over have shown self-regulation is a bad joke. If we didn't have all the regulations we'd be like China with cities uninhabitable due to pollution and people afraid to eat domestic food because they are afraid of the quality. The only moral standards companies have are the ones dictated by the law.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,198,085 times
I have had background checks that actually include my salary at the time I left the previous companies, all the way back 10-15 years. It was interesting to see my increases and decreases over the years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or