U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 PM

427 posts, read 379,457 times

Advertisements

I was fired three times in like six months. I recently landed a full-time job, but doing the same type of work that I have been trouble with (manual labor). I have no idea how successful I'm going to be in this position, so should I just keep looking in my off hours? Or is that a waste of time, if I likely would have trouble making it to interviews anyway due to my full schedule?

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 08-11-2016 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,360,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I was fired three times in like six months. I recently landed a full-time job, but doing the same type of work that I have been trouble with (manual labor). I have no idea how successful I'm going to be in this position, so should I just keep looking in my off hours? Or is that a waste of time, if I likely would have trouble making it to interviews anyway due to my full schedule?
What kind of labor are you doing? Perhaps we can help you identify why you keep getting fired. If you don't improve your educational attainments by studying a marketable major, you will be likely stuck in menial wage labor.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,453,659 times
I've read a few of your posts. I think you need to make a commitment to doing your best. Don't go in with this idea that you're not going to be successful in this job. If you choose to continue to look in your off hours, that's fine. Looking and applying for jobs/getting to interviews are not the same. Keep an eye out for what's out there, but only apply to those that would be a much better fit. In the meantime, continue to give this job your best effort.

It might be really helpful to make a list of your skills in a workplace setting and a list of things you find challenging. That might help you pinpoint areas where you have the highest likelihood of success. It might also help you realize why you keep getting fired from these jobs. If you're in jobs that aren't a good fit, then your net job should remedy that (if at all possible).

Old 08-14-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I've read a few of your posts. I think you need to make a commitment to doing your best. Don't go in with this idea that you're not going to be successful in this job. If you choose to continue to look in your off hours, that's fine. Looking and applying for jobs/getting to interviews are not the same. Keep an eye out for what's out there, but only apply to those that would be a much better fit. In the meantime, continue to give this job your best effort.

It might be really helpful to make a list of your skills in a workplace setting and a list of things you find challenging. That might help you pinpoint areas where you have the highest likelihood of success. It might also help you realize why you keep getting fired from these jobs. If you're in jobs that aren't a good fit, then your net job should remedy that (if at all possible).
I think I have a decent shot at keeping this job. I really would like to keep it to prove to myself that I can hold down a job. I'm going to try really hard to be early everyday and just really focus hard for the duration of my shift. They are just starting operations anyway so everyone is going to have a little learning to do.

I'm just worried about two things: 1. whether I am going to last in this job. I suffer from burnout very easily and hope that working 40 hours is going to hurt my performance. 2. because I am worried about making labor my career, I am worried that if I stick around for a long while it's going to be harder to get out of what I feel like is a rut.

I am also really focused on getting my glam rock band off the ground and really would like that to make that my career. I am very busy with songwriting and recording right now. I have a little demo in the works. It's what gives me purpose in life.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
As an artist, you are ''out of your element'' in manual labor, that's for sure.
Try to just see the job as a ''means to an end'' or find a job in retail that is not so physically difficult and offers you work hours flexibility to do your music.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:11 PM

911 posts, read 713,021 times
I start a new job Friday. I really want to succeed at it. I looked around Google for being the underdog at work and found this. I printed it out and will take it to work with me.

10 Things Winning Underdogs Can Teach Us About Success

Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
As an artist, you are ''out of your element'' in manual labor, that's for sure.
Try to just see the job as a ''means to an end'' or find a job in retail that is not so physically difficult and offers you work hours flexibility to do your music.
i don't really care about flexibility for now. i need income to pay for my gender transition and to live in a better environment. i currently sleep on a bunk bed.

it's a shame i have to do these things for money. This job is actually dishwashing but it's very physical and exhausting, i would consider it "manual labor" for that reason.

i'm really burnt out on menial jobs and i feel like it's a shame i have to do these things for money. something i notice is that i only apply for jobs when i'm desperate for money. i don't really have that much ambition as far as employment goes. i see everything as $$$.

Today I really had an "oh no, what did I get myself into," when i started working today. i really have hated every job i have ever had. i feel tortured in my current role as a wage slave. i have been trying hard at this job, but i still utterly hate it. i just feel like i am wasting my life working there, even if i am desperate for money.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 08-16-2016 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,278,019 times
You need to learn how to keep a commitment. At some point, you need to realize that work is hard and good jobs are for skilled, commited workers. Yes, washing dishes sucks. If you can make it at least a year, you'll be in a position to be taken seriously. Right now, you won't be.

I have a great, highly-paid office job. I started as a dishwasher too, for a catering company. I built references/work history. You need to do this too, we all do. You can't be taken seriously by good employers until you demonstrate basic work ethic.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,855,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You need to learn how to keep a commitment. At some point, you need to realize that work is hard and good jobs are for skilled, commited workers. Yes, washing dishes sucks. If you can make it at least a year, you'll be in a position to be taken seriously. Right now, you won't be.

I have a great, highly-paid office job. I started as a dishwasher too, for a catering company. I built references/work history. You need to do this too, we all do. You can't be taken seriously by good employers until you demonstrate basic work ethic.
This is perfect.
Honestly there is nothing wrong with being a dishwasher but I would guess (unless you enjoy it..) that most do this at the start of careers and desire more. It's the "work your way up" mentality. Once you build up experience from one job and show your committed, you begin to look for something else maybe a step up. my first job was in a restaurant and then a grocery store, worked up to assistant manager then worked at a bank. Each job I was at for at least a year or more. Continued to work up in pay and ended up in a office job. Was cushy and I would still be there if I hadn't gone to self employment. Anyways, if your real serious then I would try to build up time at a job, then try to go somewhere else a little better. The suggestion of retail may be good. It would be awesome if you could make a career out of being in your band but.. As you know that's not paying bills yet. Try to put in full effort at work and in your off time, full effort in your music.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Both managers said individually I have been doing a great job. I've been bustin' ass. I've actually had the workload of two as I'm the only one hired on in this spot. For now, I am going to forget about being fired and continue as I've been doing.

Anyway, because I am 24 it is very hard being completely at the bottom. I really would like a more posh job. But that's life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or