U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,398 times

Advertisements

Background - I was let go from my company almost 2 months ago. They basically let go of half of the their sales team. There was no warning that this was going to happen. They did not base who they kept on performance but based on tenure. Old people stayed, new people were let go.

I have been interviewing at companies as if I still work at my previous company. I'm a little embarrassed to say I was let go because this is the first time it has ever happened to me. When a company asks, why I'm looking to leave my current company after not being there for very long, I have a strong response as to why.

So I interviewed with a company and let them assume that I was still working. They made some comments about how it is a bit of a red flag that I'm looking to leave a company after only a couple of months but I talked around it and in the end they gave me an offer.

The offer is pending a background check where they asked me about my employment dates. I was honest with the background check and stated the date of when I was actually let go and selected that I was let go as the option.

I'm worried that once the background check is run, that my offer will get taken back. Has anyone experienced this before? If I was honest with the background check, will the report come back as all green saying that there is nothing to worry about. Or will someone read through it and notice that I was actually let go from a company a couple months ago and will that raise some flags?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,272 times
Well, nothing you can do but ride it out and see how it goes.

Was the person you told about the real dates not the same person(s) involved in the interviews or original application who you told you where still working?

The person who does the background check might never respond back to the interviewers other than, you checked out, meaning what you put down for the background check was true and the two people never cross reference and have no clue.

You might get lucky. Actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

Next time, don't lie about it. Mass layoffs happen and are understandable if you are a good candidate for the job.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM

the company is using a 3rd party for the background check, talentwise.

So when I filled out the talentwise doc, I was accurate about the my dates

Old 08-11-2016, 02:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,240,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnimeel View Post
the company is using a 3rd party for the background check, talentwise.

So when I filled out the talentwise doc, I was accurate about the my dates.
It all depends on if the company reads the fine print on the report sent back or just sees that everything is confirmed, checks out and that is that.

How long did they say it would take for the background check to come back?

Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM

No. I submitted the background check on Tuesday. I called the Talentwise this morning and they said it's still pending and they need to contact my last 3 employers. Talentwise's website says that it usually takes up to a week.

With background checks, is there a cover page that basically states everything passes? or are there specific call outs to certain areas?

Old 08-11-2016, 03:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,799,248 times
We provide a copy of the application or resume along with the request so that any discrepancies can be flagged immediately for followup. Some employers will take the report and compare it themselves with resume, others (like us) let the background company do it so we don't miss or overlook any discrepancies.

Most times an error like a resume with one date and a background check with another isn't that big a deal as things can change day by day. Normally they just ask you to explain. It only becomes a serious issue when the employer made sure they gave you an opportunity to correct any changes during the interview but you instead made the conscious decision to lie and pretend you are still working when you knew you were terminated. That can cause them to dump you from consideration.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,450,035 times
Quote:
So I interviewed with a company and let them assume that I was still working. They made some comments about how it is a bit of a red flag that I'm looking to leave a company after only a couple of months but I talked around it and in the end they gave me an offer.
If someone does read the report that goes with your background check, there might be something to worry about. That was the perfect opportunity to tell the truth. As someone said, it happens. You weren't let go because of issues with your work efforts. A simple phone call would verify that it was a mass layoff. Does your resume also imply you are still working? If it were a few weeks after your layoff, probably not a really big deal. But it has been several months, so that would be a red flag to some employers, knowing they had given you an opportunity to clarify. Letting them assume when you had the chance to clarify is more like lying.

Hopefully no one will read that closely and you'll be set. Good luck--

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,288,659 times
They probably won't even notice. A lot of times they only check if what you put down on your check is true. They don't compare to your resume. Most of the time HR doesn't even read the report. The pay only check the cover to see if there are any red flags. And red flags regarding employment are normal because often job titles don't match etc. I'm curious to see what happens. I think it is more likely than not you get away with it.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 PM

270 posts, read 184,916 times
All you can do is wait for the background check to come back.

In your situation I don't know if a discrepancy will come up unless the employer compares your resume and what you told them to what you put on the background check.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM

22 posts, read 15,231 times
How did this turn out for you? I just got a report on a background check on me. They used The Work Number to verify dates of employment and the site is pretty accurate. I was off 2 months on an employer but I got a "yes" as in verified in the report, it didn't seem to matter.
Have you submitted to the background check yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or