U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 PM

22 posts, read 15,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
Wow, you got convicted of a felony just for writing bad checks? That's very excessive.

I can't give you any advice other than letting you know that I would hire you with that (if I was in such a position).

Good luck!
I believe it has to do with the amount it came to be. But I still think that if I had hired a lawyer, it would have been taken down to a misdemeanor. But I was scared and naive and took a public defender which I later found out was a divorce attorney (I visited his site recently and saw that) .He did tell me that when my background check gets pulled, it'll show up as something they call "high misdemeanor" which I've never heard of before. But I researched it and there's a lot more to it. I'll be able to get it expunged in December and I'm looking forward to that.

But thank you so much, I'm staying positive. I have a good job still and I'm grateful for all that I have and my accomplishments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 08:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 764,120 times
There was once an active member here - annerk - I think she was once an HR person, and she was vehemently against hiring any kind of felon or giving them a chance. But now you don't hear much from her now... Did her prejudice and bad karma towards felons come back to her?

But anyway, companies are extremely prejudiced against felons.

I think I saw a solution to one felon's problem in Chicago - he named his hot dog restaurant, "Felony Franks." It used to be in a dumpy black neighborhood I saw that disappear only for another one to appear in a better neighborhood.

You might try to get your felony expunged or pardoned by the Gov of your State. Do this paperwork by yourself, and don't hire a crappy lawyer for this. It might take a 4 year wait after papers are submitted, too

Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
ok, that's good that you did. Some would recommend that you be upfront as it always looks better, so good on your recruiter also.

It can go either way but I would think with your job history that company will overlook that.

Good luck.
Thank you! I've done my best to be honest and truthful, all I can do is wait.
I'll be sure to update as soon as I hear something next week

Old 08-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Usually when you fill out employment paperwork they ask you if you've been convicted of a crime, or sometimes of a serious crime/felony. If they asked and you lied, you can forget about it. If you told the truth you may be OK. If they didn't ask... no idea.
Yes, I had to fill that portion of the application after the offer and I disclosed it then.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
There was once an active member here - annerk - I think she was once an HR person, and she was vehemently against hiring any kind of felon or giving them a chance. But now you don't hear much from her now... Did her prejudice and bad karma towards felons come back to her?

But anyway, companies are extremely prejudiced against felons.

I think I saw a solution to one felon's problem in Chicago - he named his hot dog restaurant, "Felony Franks." It used to be in a dumpy black neighborhood I saw that disappear only for another one to appear in a better neighborhood.

You might try to get your felony expunged or pardoned by the Gov of your State. Do this paperwork by yourself, and don't hire a crappy lawyer for this. It might take a 4 year wait after papers are submitted, too
I don't know why that name looks familiar, I've been lurking these forums. But yea, I understand the stigma but people in my situation should be given a chance to prove themselves. And I know that a lot of times a lot of ex offenders return to bad behaviors which makes it bad for the ones that want to make things right and abide by society's laws.

I'm being proactive, I already have all my finger prints and expungement paperworks filled out and ready to be signed and submitted come December 1st and I plan on doing it all myself too.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,051,709 times
It may also depend on what kind of company it is. For instance, a financial company would most likely not hire you with this in your background. Other types of companies may be more lenient. Do you have to be bonded for the new job?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 PM

4,995 posts, read 1,799,289 times
Don't know what state you're from..but it is becoming common for the felony conviction question to be considered out-of-bounds....the fact that you have disclosed your past speaks well for you, to me. People make mistakes, and those who chose to sit on the sidelines and judge will be the first to whine, 'no fair" when it's their turn to make the hard choices.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
It may also depend on what kind of company it is. For instance, a financial company would most likely not hire you with this in your background. Other types of companies may be more lenient. Do you have to be bonded for the new job?
Without revealing too much, it is a territory sales position for consumer goods. I will have a territory and be provided with a company car to visit my clients. And I do not have to be bonded.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Don't know what state you're from..but it is becoming common for the felony conviction question to be considered out-of-bounds....the fact that you have disclosed your past speaks well for you, to me. People make mistakes, and those who chose to sit on the sidelines and judge will be the first to whine, 'no fair" when it's their turn to make the hard choices.

Good Luck and God Bless.
You're right, my state participates in "ban the box" so the initial application didn't ask for felony convictions, all it asked for was for moving violations. After I accepted the offer, I was sent back to the website to complete the portion where it asked for specifically any convictions. At that point, I had already given my recruiter the heads up and telling her that I had yet to receive anything asking me to disclose convictions, and that was when she told me that it will be part of the pre hire steps and I should just disclose everything and we'd go from there.

Thank you!

Old 08-12-2016, 10:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 2,326,881 times
Just out of curiosity...What did you put on the form where it asks "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?"...or have you gotten to that point yet?

Ooops...I just saw you already answered that...sorry, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or