Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 22,644 times

Advertisements

I wrote 3 bad checks on a closed account in 2011 and was convicted of a felony. I was sentenced to a year and half of probation but my probation officer told me to stop reporting after 6 months and discharged me. I didn't lose my job, in fact, I got a promotion within my company about 5 months after that in sales for a Fortune 500 company, I have worked my butt off to move on from my previous mistake and I take full responsibility of my actions, I've successfully turned my negatives into positives, took up fitness and clean eating to help me stay stress free and in the process, I've lost 60lbs. I switched majors from Nursing to Marketing since I realized that the laws are really strict in regards to getting a job after graduation in the medical field, but I've quickly realized that I'm actually much better where I'm at.

Fast forward to today, and I'm freaking out. After a month of a very extensive interview and the potential employer flying me out for a final panel interview, I got a job offer contingent upon successfully passing a background check. Took my drug test 2 weeks ago and I know that will be clean because I've never done drugs, and I know I passed my MVR record check since that is required for the job, never had a DUI/DWI, never had a speeding ticket either. They took forever verifying education since I completed that outside the country, but that is completed now and my employment verification checks out.
I spoke with the background check company and I was told that they are still waiting on a portion of my criminal background check to come back. Has anyone been in this situation and how was it handled?

Forgot to mention that I have spoken to my "future" boss who is excited to meet me and he's played an active part in checking on HR to clear me. The job requires me to relocate as well so everything is time sensitive.
I also received an onboarding email which requested I9 information and W2 deductions, which I have completed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:44 PM

273 posts, read 209,340 times
Wow, you got convicted of a felony just for writing bad checks? That's very excessive.

I can't give you any advice other than letting you know that I would hire you with that (if I was in such a position).

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Was the felony for an innocent mistake or purposeful embezzlement?

Make sure you're cleared for hire before you move!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post

Writing three bad checks on a closed account doesn't sound like an 'innocent mistake' to me, just saying.

Anyways, we need more information here.

Of course I have to preface by saying that I don't have any legal expertise here.

Is the OP sweating this entire process, possibly because the OP chose to state on the application that he/she was never convicted of any crime?

Did the OP do anything to expunge the matter from official records?

Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If the background check doesn't show the felony conviction, the company who paid for it has been ripped off. It is up to the potential employer to determine how they will respond.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Writing three bad checks on a closed account doesn't sound like an 'innocent mistake' to me, just saying.

Anyways, we need more information here.

Of course I have to preface by saying that I don't have any legal expertise here.

Is the OP sweating this entire process, possibly because the OP chose to state on the application that he/she was never convicted of any crime?

Did the OP do anything to expunge the matter from official records?

You're right, it wasn't an innocent mistake hence the fact that I stated that I've taken full responsibility of my actions. I won't go into details as to why I did it either because I would rather not have anyone feel sorry for me.
I did admit on the background check what I did, obviously and I also disclosed it to my recruiter. She advised me to put everything down and we can go from there after everything comes back.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post

Absolutely, no notices or moves till I get the clear to.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If the background check doesn't show the felony conviction, the company who paid for it has been ripped off. It is up to the potential employer to determine how they will respond.
Haha! You're absolutely right. I'm hoping they overlook it as it doesn't relate to the position at all. But I'm aware that it's a crime of moral turpitude, so who knows.
I'll be sure to update.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Usually when you fill out employment paperwork they ask you if you've been convicted of a crime, or sometimes of a serious crime/felony. If they asked and you lied, you can forget about it. If you told the truth you may be OK. If they didn't ask... no idea.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwoman1121 View Post
You're right, it wasn't an innocent mistake hence the fact that I stated that I've taken full responsibility of my actions. I won't go into details as to why I did it either because I would rather not have anyone feel sorry for me.
I did admit on the background check what I did, obviously and I also disclosed it to my recruiter. She advised me to put everything down and we can go from there after everything comes back.
ok, that's good that you did. Some would recommend that you be upfront as it always looks better, so good on your recruiter also.

It can go either way but I would think with your job history that company will overlook that.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search