U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM
 
332 posts, read 832,350 times
Reputation: 240

Advertisements

I interviewed for a position last Wednesday that went really well, and the hiring manager told me that they had a few more candidates to meet with and that they would get back to me either way in two weeks. I have another interview today for essentially the same position with another organization, but assuming they are on similar timelines, if I were to be offered the first position I wouldn't necessarily know if I had a shot at the position I'm interviewing for today. I am currently employed and making good money, but there is no room to advance where I am and the positions I'm interviewing for are the next step up the career ladder for me. I'd be interested to hear from others who have been in similar situations. For example, lets say that I receive an offer from the first employer next week. Would it be out of line to ask for 24 hours to consider it, and then call the second employer informing them of the offer and asking if I am still being considered for the position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,273 posts, read 11,332,006 times
Reputation: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I interviewed for a position last Wednesday that went really well, and the hiring manager told me that they had a few more candidates to meet with and that they would get back to me either way in two weeks. I have another interview today for essentially the same position with another organization, but assuming they are on similar timelines, if I were to be offered the first position I wouldn't necessarily know if I had a shot at the position I'm interviewing for today. I am currently employed and making good money, but there is no room to advance where I am and the positions I'm interviewing for are the next step up the career ladder for me. I'd be interested to hear from others who have been in similar situations. For example, lets say that I receive an offer from the first employer next week. Would it be out of line to ask for 24 hours to consider it, and then call the second employer informing them of the offer and asking if I am still being considered for the position?
It will depend upon them however honesty in this situation is usually best. Which job do you want is the real question and then yes, you can call the other company and tell them your situation and very politely ask when they will be making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
 
17,318 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Reputation: 28841
google search

What to do when you're offered a job and you need more time to decide - Business Insider

When You Need Time to Consider a Job Offer | On Careers | US News

Get More Time to Decide on a Job Offer by Asking for a Specific Deadline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,338,406 times
Reputation: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I interviewed for a position last Wednesday that went really well, and the hiring manager told me that they had a few more candidates to meet with and that they would get back to me either way in two weeks. I have another interview today for essentially the same position with another organization, but assuming they are on similar timelines, if I were to be offered the first position I wouldn't necessarily know if I had a shot at the position I'm interviewing for today. I am currently employed and making good money, but there is no room to advance where I am and the positions I'm interviewing for are the next step up the career ladder for me. I'd be interested to hear from others who have been in similar situations. For example, lets say that I receive an offer from the first employer next week. Would it be out of line to ask for 24 hours to consider it, and then call the second employer informing them of the offer and asking if I am still being considered for the position?
i've been in this situation recently - with three offers; two from previous employers and one from a new firm. I let them know i would need a week or two to go over the details and make a decision and it worked out for me.. This may depend on your level in the organization - if it's higher up then it's expected you would need time to discuss and go over options and such where a week is certainly very common; lower level i would say a few days is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM
 
3,788 posts, read 3,004,141 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I'd be interested to hear from others who have been in similar situations. For example, lets say that I receive an offer from the first employer next week. Would it be out of line to ask for 24 hours to consider it, and then call the second employer informing them of the offer and asking if I am still being considered for the position?
No, of course not. I've rarely given a decision within 24 hours, even if I didn't have another offer on the table. There's no need to rush - you need time to evaluate the opportunity and compensation package. It's perfectly appropriate to inform organizations with which you have already interviewed that you have an offer from another employer.

I've had multiple instances of more than one offer. If this comes up, just be honest and aboveboard and it'll all work out. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 PM
 
68 posts, read 67,221 times
Reputation: 81
It sounds like you are assuming both places will have a wholly equitable environment. If you like both companies equally, then you accept the first offer; essentially the second company missed out because it was late to the plate. If you like the second company more, than you need to ask yourself why you would take a job at the first place to begin with when you are already admitting it doesn't provide the environment you are seeking. In my view, taking a job simply because it offers a step up could end in regret.

If you think both businesses are great and each offer is equivalent, then yeah call the second company and let them know you have an offer but are still interested in their opportunity. They will value this because they can then take you out of the running and save themselves a lot of time, damaged reputation, and money. If you are candidate #1, but you don't want the job, then they don't want to damage the potential relationship with candidate #2 and have to start the process all over again. So by calling you are truly doing them just as much a favor---this could help you down the road.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top