Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,709,909 times

Advertisements

bad taste? is it possible? thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:15 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,563,424 times
I'm listening to responses to this as well!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 PM

12,061 posts, read 23,089,443 times
I imagine they have already moved on to the next person on the list; we certainly would have.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,123,552 times
Unless you had a really good reason, like say sick family member or say going to be out of the country when they wanted you to start, they'd sort of keep an eye on you. They would know you'd bolt when offered a different job in the future. IMO, not really worth it to go back. One, mostly, they wouldn't hire you. Two, you'd probably not be treated well.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,125,978 times
What have you got to lose?

I one declined an interview with an organization because I had already accepted a job offer from another company. Almost immediately after starting the job, I realized I had made a terrible mistake. The company was the wrong fit. I reached back out to the organization with which I had declined the interview to ask if the positions was still open. It was, and they scheduled an interview with me. The hiring manager was understanding about my situation. I got the job.

Chances are that in your case, they may have made an offer to their next choice candidate. But you never know. What's the worst that could happen?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,928,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
bad taste? is it possible? thoughts?
too many variables for any of us to know really.. but the thing is that it never hurts to ask. Be prepared for them to blow you off; and be happy if they decide to give you a shot. I would recommend that you ask yourself why you turned down the job in the first place and what is different now that you want to go back (and be prepared to tell them your answer if asked)

Old 08-18-2016, 08:12 PM

120 posts, read 109,420 times
Something similar thing happened to me recently.

Last fall I wanted to make a change (same industry, more narrow focus) I applied for a position at company B, they offered me the job but the pay was too low. I tried to haggle, they said "no thanks but what about this other position", basically offered me that job on the spot and the pay was much better. I went in to put my 2 weeks notice and my job(company A) offered me a 20% raise to stay. Albeit not as much as the offer but easier commute, continuing the job, etc. I politely declined and gave the whole "it's a small world, hope to work with you in the future" spiel in my e-mail.

This April I reached my fill and decided to give notice at company A. Considering the job market, it was a relatively amicable departure. I reached out to the company B, they just so happened to be looking for a the senior level of the job they offered me before. I went in, interviewed and got an offer within 24 hours. Also got another offer that same week, did the same polite decline with the company C, one of the interviewers added me on LinkedIn.

During the interviewed, they mentioned they weren't surprised I turned the offer (was a bit overqualified and the commute isn't ideal). I talked about how interested I was in having an expertise in one area rather than continuing to be a "Jill of all trades"

Hopefully you were polite in your decline and you've got passion to say why you're still interested. Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
Bad taste? Definitely not.
Possible to get the same job? Sure, but not likely.
But as a previous poster indicated: what do you have to lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search