U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 752,753 times

Advertisements

I forget the exact wording, but on every form I've filed out, there is a part to list all of my former jobs. Under that there is a part that says something along the lines of "May we contact employer" with a yes or no box. If you check no, do they contact them any way? I'll be honest, I don't want them checking because one job I quit and the one before that I was fired from. The one I quit, I'm not much worried about, because I've seen them say we don't give references on the phone. The one I was fired from I'm sure does give bad references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 AM

792 posts, read 437,437 times
I've wondered about that myself at times....I know with my department store job, I was told the only thing they could say was "Diane worked here from X date to Y date".

Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 AM

They can say whatever they want, but what happens next is up to you. However, proving they said untrue remarks is imo useless. They can say something like you were late. If you were late, even once, it's true. I know at the job that fired me they claimed I was "frequently out". However, I was out twice in a YEAR. One time hospitalized and one time with a doctor's note. The best is the time I was out with a doctor's note, they were trying to make me leave early the day before to not make everyone sick. I know this as this what they told unemployment. Most places won't tell you what they said. Unless, I guess you call yourself but it's really your word against their word. 

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,647,974 times
The whole point of the "May we Contact" box - from my point of view - is to let you indicate that you don't want the company you are hoping to get a job with to contact the company you current are working for... this is so the current company does not find out you are looking for a job and then give you trouble for being "disloyal." Happens all the time.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The whole point of the "May we Contact" box - from my point of view - is to let you indicate that you don't want the company you are hoping to get a job with to contact the company you current are working for... this is so the current company does not find out you are looking for a job and then give you trouble for being "disloyal." Happens all the time.
I don't know why it's for all jobs. Usually you list 3-4 jobs. It's under all 4. Clearly, you're not working 4 jobs in a row.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,647,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I don't know why it's for all jobs. Usually you list 3-4 jobs. It's under all 4. Clearly, you're not working 4 jobs in a row.
I am assuming you are asking, "why is it on all lines of the job application and not just the first?" I would say that is related to the fact that (a) you could be working two jobs at the same time - a reason to look for one better job, and (b) forms are designed to work with the underlying database supporting the form and most relational table designs present all the same fields for each job.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM

136 posts, read 96,412 times
I've heard that if you check no for "May we contact," for your past jobs, the company might assume you have something to hide and frown upon it

Old 08-17-2016, 01:15 PM

4,646 posts, read 2,286,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c114 View Post
I've heard that if you check no for "May we contact," for your past jobs, the company might assume you have something to hide and frown upon it
I once heard a bizarre explanation from the employer's POV about the May We Contact question. Let's say you select No when asked about contacting your current job. This raises red flags for the prospective employer because they assume that when you're looking to jump ship in the future (under them), you'll keep it under wraps and they won't know. A lot of them don't like that and feel any employee looking for work elsewhere is betrayal and automatic grounds for dismissal.

Another lady said that she cannot understand why any applicant would answer No when asked if they can contact your present employer. Her reasoning is that her company will not contact your present employer until after an interview and you give them permission. She assumes every job applicant knows this and automatically trashes any app when the person selects No for any reason, current or past job. Glad I never worked in her department.

Honestly, I won't take a chance with it and I will always select No for current employer. You don't know the competence level of the HR person dealing with your resume. Many of them make mistakes when dealing with applications and reference checks.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:17 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
If I am currently employed and am trying to leave, why would I ever give a prospective employer consent to contact my current employer? The ultimate goal is to maintain the employment that I do have.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:48 PM

211 posts, read 299,014 times
I always put no, but to also be extra cautious for my current job I never leave any contact info, i.e. email or telephone number. I also don't list my supervisor. I leave it all blank. For previous jobs I will fill it out because I do not care if they contact them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or