U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM

101 posts, read 131,552 times

Advertisements

I'm an American citizen and I also have Irish citizenship by descent, so I could obtain an Irish passport after taking care of some paperwork. All the Brexit stuff aside, this would grant me EU citizenship and open doors to employment in the EU without having to worry about visas and such (if I'm not mistaken).

Is this dual citizenship a selling point to overseas or domestic recruiters if i was looking to move overseas? It's not something I've listed on my resume or on my Linkedin profile to date.

It's something I've been wondering about. My wife and I occasionally talk about moving overseas at some point. We already have experience as expatriates (we lived in sub-Saharan Africa for a few years, working for a NGO) and know about what it means to live, not just vacation, in a different country.

I'm working in a job a really like in a city I really like, and I have no plans to change either in the near future, but if I wanted to start exploring overseas options in a few years, would my dual citizenship be a selling point?

FWIW, I work in online education/training, and have fifteen years of experience in the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 AM

771 posts, read 1,211,765 times
To be honest, I think only under very specific circumstances (like if they're looking to fill-in an urgent position overseas that requires very specific knowledge). My experience, having lived in three countries, is that most US employers have no issues dealing with the visa paperwork and the expense is usually already baked into their budget.

The one thing that would most definitely make you more attractive to recruiters and companies that have offices in Europe is speaking multiple languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search