Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Take anything you have ever done and bend it to work.
Great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:00 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have done a couple of federal interviews. They are well aware that people stretch their experience and seem to go out of their way to figure out whether you are engaging in this sort of tactic. In both cases where I was interviewed, I did not stretch my experience and was able to get interviewed based on my actual experience. They were just single vacancies and I think the probably had candidates in mind for both, but sometimes those do fall through.

In one case, they did a reference check that was longer than they spent on my interview. They asked my references very specific questions about my ability to do the job and my skills. This was a somewhat unusual skill set since it had a training/educational component as well as the actual job, so they wanted to make sure the person selected could do both parts. In the end I think an internal candidate just moved to that office (I got the "candidate selected from another hiring source" rejection, but it goes to show that the people who lie on the resume or stretch too much still aren't going to be able to get the job.

For more entry level positions that don't use veterans preference, I have known people who have gotten the positions without claiming to be expert on everything. In fact, I think people tend to be discarded generally if they claim to be an expert on EVERYTHING unless they are doing a very similar job. Even if I do something similar, there are usually a couple of questions that are so subject specific that I haven't done that element.

One of my interviews was because I applied well below my grade. I was having no luck and just wanted to see if there was something wrong with my resume. Apparently there wasn't, but I didn't get the job probably because I was a bit overqualified.
I think this is a good idea, to apply for GS7 and just see if I get an interview or even an offer. This will let me feel out how to get through the system and get hired if I am ever laid off. The funny thing is some of these jobs have a very large pay band, like GS7 to GS11 type of thing, I would think I would have at least qualified for GS7 and got an offer but as another poster said I think I was more selling myself short rather than stretching out my resume beyond what is reasonable. If I reach a happy medium between the two or maybe just stretch a little hopefully I will get offers for at least GS7 positions.

Although in a GS7 roll if not promoted up quite a bit I would probably end up going back to private sector when things picked up because the pay differential is just so huge, a GS7 roll is slighly more than working at a liquor store but would allow me to keep working in a professional enviornment and maybe building some experiences that I can use.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think this is a good idea, to apply for GS7 and just see if I get an interview or even an offer. This will let me feel out how to get through the system and get hired if I am ever laid off. The funny thing is some of these jobs have a very large pay band, like GS7 to GS11 type of thing, I would think I would have at least qualified for GS7 and got an offer but as another poster said I think I was more selling myself short rather than stretching out my resume beyond what is reasonable. If I reach a happy medium between the two or maybe just stretch a little hopefully I will get offers for at least GS7 positions.

Although in a GS7 roll if not promoted up quite a bit I would probably end up going back to private sector when things picked up because the pay differential is just so huge, a GS7 roll is slighly more than working at a liquor store but would allow me to keep working in a professional enviornment and maybe building some experiences that I can use.
It's a catch-22 applying at the GS7 level. That level tends to get an insane amount of applicants, and "being qualified" hardly gets you out of the system even if you stretch your resume as much as you can and score high on the questionnaire. Vet Preference, already being in the federal system, and other additional points are usually needed to even get to the point where they even consider you at the GS7 level. If you have the professional experience and education, shooting for a much higher GS level would tremendously increase your odds. From what I've heard, applying to GS7 positions is truly putting your resume into a black hole.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's a catch-22 applying at the GS7 level. That level tends to get an insane amount of applicants, and "being qualified" hardly gets you out of the system even if you stretch your resume as much as you can and score high on the questionnaire. Vet Preference, already being in the federal system, and other additional points are usually needed to even get to the point where they even consider you at the GS7 level. If you have the professional experience and education, shooting for a much higher GS level would tremendously increase your odds. From what I've heard, applying to GS7 positions is truly putting your resume into a black hole.
What about the positions where they have a range like GS7 to GS11 with multiple openings but one posting. Or maybe its just one posting but they will hire you at the level you are qualified, I suppose that really becomes a GS7 roll becuase it will bring in the applications.

Although you would be surprised that there are GS7 positions that require engineering degrees and other specialized experience ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search