Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well maybe they already have a short list of candidates selected...why do you think this is not possible?
They renewed the job posting but that doesn't mean anything.

And that guy with 27 years of experience and Princeton diploma eventually will lose to another candidate from University of Pennsylvania with 30 years of experience.

Why do I think what is not possible? That they have a short list of candidates selected when they reopened the position? That doesn't make sense. That another applicant who they also didn't select for an interview has better qualifications than I do? Anything is possible, I just don't know where a comment like that fits into this sitauation when it seems nobody was selected for anything. I wasn't griping that someone else was selected over me, in fact I wasn't griping at all. I just found it interesting that I passed all levels of the process and still wasn't interviewed. Why pass me then, if I'm not even worth a phone call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Perhaps the supervisor wasn't happy with the pool of candidates, just becasue you pass the bare min, doesn't mean he or she wants to settle. Perhaps they are looking for something specific and keeping the rest in their back pocket. I'm sure the job has changed in 20 years.
Obviously the supervisor wasn't happy with the pplicants, but why say I passed the supervisor review then? And its not the same job I was in 20 years ago...

anyway, its not a big deal because I wasn't all that hopped up about the job anyway. Just found it interesting that they found no suitable applicants yet didn't even bother calling those who "passed". I might have impressed the pants off of them if they had (and maybe not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
I see some positions open for months/even years and they keep renewing them.
There is something fishy about it, but what you can do?
What if they are not actually planning to hire anyone? Just monitoring job market or whatever

Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Maybe there was a temporary hold on the position when you applied and now they have taken that hold off and have to repost it. Happens at my work more than you'd think.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
That happened to me once...when I was recommended for hiring, the manager said "oh, crap, we can't meet her salary" so they rejected me, reopened the position and reduced the educational requirements from a masters degree with teaching cert to a bachelors degree. The posted salary was much reduced.

No one ever asked me what my salary requirements were. I would have happily taken MUCH less than my previous salary.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:19 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Maybe they weren't really hiring.

Or - You don't know that they didn't hire anyone.

They may have selected a candidate for that job req and now are floating for a second one.

OR the job may have been wired all along for someone else.

So perhaps the designated candidate fell through during the process but they never intended on hiring you OR anyone else, for that matter - except the designated one.

It could have been something internal that got messed up and they needed to re-do everything, too. Like the hiring manager let it expire and they had to go through the procedure for internal reasons.

I was with the phone company for ages and we did it that way all the time. I even had job descriptions written specifically for ME that no other candidate could meet. But you still had to interview a few people. The HR did away with that and all the descriptions had to be standard.

But ONE THING HR can't do is force a hiring manager to accept a specific person. Even if they can force you to interview everyone.

It's also possible you got age discriminated and you'll never know IF you're in that age category. OR maybe they're trying to hire a minority and just don't bother saying it.

Is this a government "agency" job?

I will say, as someone who never had to go through this process much in my life, I find it completely RUDE that hiring companies don't send candidates rejection letters.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Maybe they weren't really hiring.

Or - You don't know that they didn't hire anyone.

They may have selected a candidate for that job req and now are floating for a second one.

OR the job may have been wired all along for someone else.

So perhaps the designated candidate fell through during the process but they never intended on hiring you OR anyone else, for that matter - except the designated one.

It could have been something internal that got messed up and they needed to re-do everything, too. Like the hiring manager let it expire and they had to go through the procedure for internal reasons.

I was with the phone company for ages and we did it that way all the time. I even had job descriptions written specifically for ME that no other candidate could meet. But you still had to interview a few people. The HR did away with that and all the descriptions had to be standard.

But ONE THING HR can't do is force a hiring manager to accept a specific person. Even if they can force you to interview everyone.

It's also possible you got age discriminated and you'll never know IF you're in that age category. OR maybe they're trying to hire a minority and just don't bother saying it.

Is this a government "agency" job?

I will say, as someone who never had to go through this process much in my life, I find it completely RUDE that hiring companies don't send candidates rejection letters.
Thanks for sharing.

This is partly what I was guessing, and you just confirmed that this is a real world practice.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thanks for sharing.

This is partly what I was guessing, and you just confirmed that this is a real world practice.
Your welcome. You can't take it personally. Sometimes they're also just trying to promote someone from within but the HR rules are such that they still have to go through the normal procedures - because it's a promotion and HR wants to know why they have to promote a person if others are equally qualified. Then they hope that nobody will respond that's equally qualified LOL.

That was the case for me one time. It took 6 months and 2 separate job descriptions being floated before my hiring manager was approved to promote and hire me from within. The poor guy had to interview a bunch of people that he had no intention of hiring for this particular problem job that he would NEVER have put a stranger into the role. Twice ha ha. TBH I think he finally had to have his director intervene with the HR director to make them put it through.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Your welcome. You can't take it personally. Sometimes they're also just trying to promote someone from within but the HR rules are such that they still have to go through the normal procedures - because it's a promotion and HR wants to know why they have to promote a person if others are equally qualified. Then they hope that nobody will respond that's equally qualified LOL.

That was the case for me one time. It took 6 months and 2 separate job descriptions being floated before my hiring manager was approved to promote and hire me from within. The poor guy had to interview a bunch of people that he had no intention of hiring for this particular problem job that he would NEVER have put a stranger into the role. Twice ha ha. TBH I think he finally had to have his director intervene with the HR director to make them put it through.
What you are saying explains a lot of things to me now.

Many people complain that their job applications just disappear in black holes, especially at certain big companies. And these poor applicants might even have no idea that those job listings are not for external hiring. They have zero chance from the beginning but don't know about it. Sometimes they have to waste a lot of time carefully filling out all the lines about their education and former job experience. It's sad.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Why do people try to make sense of what HR does? You will never know.

Maybe you got shafted.
Maybe you didn't.
Maybe they just promoted somebody else to manage THAT position and he wants to hire his friend, but he has to reopen the search to do so.
Maybe they didn't like your cologne.
Maybe they just let go of somebody else and are looking for extra skills to dump on the new hire.
Maybe somebody was on vacation, came back, got mad they weren't included in the job search process and demanded another go-round.
Maybe they just wanted to see a possible labor pool.

You. Will. NEVER. Know. Don't waste your time or energy trying to figure it out.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
The person they wanted didn't apply, didn't apply correctly, or didn't make it far enough so they reopened it so that person can get it right this time.

I hate pre-selection and it's not legal (not in federal gov't) but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search