Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to apply for welfare or other benefits (as a white male) if your job search is dragging out for a significant amount of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
go to your local county job and family services building and tell them you want to apply for benefits. Fill out the application, turn in your documents ( proof of income, etc) and wait for your interview.

As a single male ( why you mentioned your color, im not sure since they dont care nor do we), if youre working, you may not qualify but you can try.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
go to your local county job and family services building and tell them you want to apply for benefits. Fill out the application, turn in your documents ( proof of income, etc) and wait for your interview.

As a single male ( why you mentioned your color, im not sure since they dont care nor do we), if youre working, you may not qualify but you can try.
If you are unable to find work ...

Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Does anyone know how to apply for welfare or other benefits (as a white male) if your job search is dragging out for a significant amount of time?
You apply to welfare as a white male the same way any other race or gender would (i.e. the race info you gave is irrelevant). I think most cities/counties have a social services office and they would be able to tell you how to apply for welfare.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You apply to welfare as a white male the same way any other race or gender would (i.e. the race info you gave is irrelevant). I think most cities/counties have a social services office and they would be able to tell you how to apply for welfare.
Because you always hear about the stereotypes and while a stereotype is not typical of everyone, in general, there is usually some merit to them otherwise they would not exist. Of course anyone is free to do the paper work but what are your statistical odds of getting it if you are male but just cant get a job offer.

So it sounds like you just go down to the social services office and go from there. So none of it is federal?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Because you always hear about the stereotypes and while a stereotype is not typical of everyone, in general, there is usually some merit to them otherwise they would not exist. Of course anyone is free to do the paper work but what are your statistical odds of getting it if you are male but just cant get a job offer.

So it sounds like you just go down to the social services office and go from there. So none of it is federal?
I have no idea what the process is like, but I'm pretty sure they just use income/employment information for everyone (I don't think they can legally take any other demographic information into consideration). But I honestly don't know how welfare works. I think welfare falls under 'social services', but to get more accurate information about the process, I would just google 'welfare [city where you live]' and that would probably direct you to someone you can contact. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:49 AM

68 posts, read 123,309 times
Some states allow you to fill out or at least print and fill out online. This will spare you the trip and time at the facilty -- initially. Don't feel ashamed, everyone gets in a lull and struggles in life. Google State of Pennsylvania welfare and that should guide you to the agency that handles this.

The states set most their own criteria; however, it is a collaborative effort between states and Feds --similar to Medicaid. Go and find out if you qualify. If you are hungry go to a local food bank and get something to eat. Lose the shame because it is not beneficial to your goal of finding a job.

The Penn agency is Department of Human Services (Penn Department of Public Welfare). I just googled it and you can get all the documents online that will be required to get food stamps. Don't wait too long because I suspect these things take time to put in motion.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:40 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,857 times
There's food stamps, Medicaid, and SS Disability if you are disabled and paid into the system. There is ''Unemployment Insurance'' if you qualify. SSI if you are disabled and did not pay into the SS system.
There is no ''welfare'', as in a monthly check, otherwise.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:06 PM

191 posts, read 230,480 times
It's all over boyos, if the economy continues to worsen/does not improve soon we will all be "on welfare"

The prognosis does not look good, the economy has flat-lined like an EKG and has never "bounced back"

Anyways, as others have said, you're unlikely to get much as a single male w/ no kids.... but it doesn't hurt to ask. Worse that can happen is they say no, but if you do get approved maybe you can get an EBT card or a medical card of some kind

Also strongly consider you move in w/ family for a while to save on housing - swallow your pride. Can't be "picky" when money is tight.

Good luck

Old 08-22-2016, 01:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
There's food stamps, Medicaid, and SS Disability if you are disabled and paid into the system. There is ''Unemployment Insurance'' if you qualify. SSI if you are disabled and did not pay into the SS system.
There is no ''welfare'', as in a monthly check, otherwise.
More than likely, you'll only be eligible for food stamps, and that will depend on your income. It's very hard to get SSi, because you have to have been going to a doctor for the ongoing problems that you want it for. If you were laid off/fired from your job, you may be eligible for unemployment. Also, depending on your state, you may be eligible for what's called, "General Relief." It's a loan, and you get money (not a lot) for 90 days, but it has to be paid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search