U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:10 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,230,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
How did you know who the hiring manager is for each application?
I researched (example, advanced search thru linked in). I've also called before and just politely asked for the name of the manager in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,843,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I researched (example, advanced search thru linked in). I've also called before and just politely asked for the name of the manager in that department.
did you mail in your application?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,230,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
did you mail in your application?
I have snail-mailed in my resume and cover letter and that did not work as well as email. In fact, I can't recall if I've received any responses directly to snail mail---I keep a spreadsheet, but don't have it.

Lately, I've just been emailing. Email is pretty easy to figure out once you have the name b/c most companies have an email scheme (lack of a better word).

I know some people pooh-pooh this idea, but I tested the human-voiced resume and pain letter for positions I did not intend to accept just to see how they were received. I have not received any negative feedback at all and they did work (they got me an interview, which is the whole purpose). After that, I went ahead and used them for jobs I actually wanted.

This method doesn't work all the time. Right now, I have an interview with HR. I sent an email to the manager with my resume/pain letter, he thanked me and said he would send me over to HR for the "official" interview. I don't know how this is going to work out b/c the HR guy doesn't know anything about the position or, I'd argue, even the industry. I've already checked him out and he's only been with this company for 4 months and before he was an HR guy for a year for a totally different industry. He job hops alot. If they have no intention of hiring me, I truly wish they would've just not responded or said no, thanks. I hate wasting my time.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 PM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
The author claims to be in HR and then complains about the HR software tools. Come one, YOU folks in HR are the ones to determine what the tools look for; they are only building what YOU want them to build. If you had people instead of software, you would still be asking the same things and looking for the same answers. The problem isn't that the software has messed up HR, but that HR doesn't know how to accomplish their job.

You used a couple of examples to complain about the software such as "Job=Principal. Duties? Don't you know?" or when you said anyone could figure out duties from the job title. OK, HR folks, no you can't figure out duties from a job title because nothing is standardized. And no the hiring manager doesn't know what duties YOU did as a Principal, because the duties where you are might be different than what hiring manager is looking for with the same title.

Maybe HR just needs to focus on fixing HR internal processes before they try to fix everything else wrong in the hiring world.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
This is one of the author's points that just struck me as, well, quite frankly, a little stupid. We interviewed a guy who was hawked to us as a "business owner." Yea, he was the entire business, and he went out of business; titles can have a lot of flash and little substance.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 PM

298 posts, read 135,352 times
The Liz Ryan approach has never worked for me. All of my interviews have been from applying online except one case, which happened through networking and I didn't get the job. From the comments on this thread it appears that this approach is not a huge success for anyone (except one person).

Old 08-23-2016, 02:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
I'm going to do a Marissa Mayer style resume.

http://blog.enhancv.com/wp-content/u...ume-blog-2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or