U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,848,475 times
Reputation: 944

Advertisements

with most transactions these days being done online or electronically, that goes without saying that job postings would go that route as well. i got my current job (and this was in 2010) through an online posting. however, this article (Forbes Welcome) is refuting all that. did i just get lucky back in 2010 when i applied for that job online? and it was even through a recruiter, not directly through my current employer.

so since it's encouraged to physically apply for a job, what is now the most professional way of presenting your documents to the hiring manager/HR/etc if going to the office yourself or mailing your application? including folded vs. unfolded? what sort of folder/envelope to hold your documents in? i'm not in process of doing a full jumping ship at this point, only trying to find per diem jobs, but i still want to do things right in case i might eventually jump ship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 AM
 
9,802 posts, read 17,022,335 times
Reputation: 18469
I think the author is off base on a number of points. You will also find that you cannot simply present yourself at most professional or semi-professional workplaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,023 posts, read 8,443,571 times
Reputation: 15621
We would not accept hard copy documents from applicants.

Our online HR system allows us to share application materials between hiring committees, HM and HR. It serves as a record of applicants should legal questions ever arise.

Some people think that handing a hard copy of the application materials to somebody allows you to do an end-run and gain preferential review. At least in our case it does not.

Job searching is different than it used to be. You can easily find hundreds of jobs to apply to, and so can everyone else. The result is more applications for each position. While you may feel that online applications are a black hole, they do result in jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,199 posts, read 10,402,078 times
Reputation: 33280
I think popping into a random workplace and applying on Taleo have about equal success rates. Both very near to 0. It's all about who you know. Get someone to put in a word and your resume will get a look and you will get an interview. It's not fair necessarily but it's how it works now. I really thing the hiring process needs a complete overhaul. Taleo is the worth thing to ever happen to hiring in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 AM
 
9,802 posts, read 17,022,335 times
Reputation: 18469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think popping into a random workplace and applying on Taleo have about equal success rates. Both very near to 0. It's all about who you know. Get someone to put in a word and your resume will get a look and you will get an interview. It's not fair necessarily but it's how it works now. I really thing the hiring process needs a complete overhaul. Taleo is the worth thing to ever happen to hiring in my opinion.
That may work in some industries or at some places but, as a blanket statement, it is not a universal truth. Where I work a "good word" helps if you are in the final cut -- it will not get you an interview if you don't qualify for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,785 posts, read 9,254,824 times
Reputation: 7363
If you do a search of this forum, I actually posted about human-voiced resumes and pain letters.

I had been applying to places online. I was applying for jobs that I was qualified for in all ways (had the education, skills, experience) and nothing.

I switched to the human-voiced resume (with dragon slayer stories) and the pain letter. I'm getting call backs. This style resume and the pain letters are working for me, particularly, where the employer has some ridiculous job description.

I really like this author and she was right on another point, too. She also thinks that you shouldn't waste time with HR. Bypass them and talk directly to the hiring manager. This is nothing new. I have always tried to do this. But what is new is simply contacting the hiring manager and telling him the truth: "I'd prefer to talk to you, Mr Hiring Manager, because, in my experience, HR doesn't really understand the nuances of this position." Guess what? This worked for my husband. I can't recall if "nuances" was the word he used, but something like that. He did get the job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,848,475 times
Reputation: 944
the thing is, i work in healthcare. in my area, we have a shortage of locals who are actually qualified as therapists (not assistants) due to it being a small city, not a larger city with universities that push out graduates we would need for such positions. so most of the therapists (again, not the assistants as we have a local college that make assistant applicants easily available) we have in my facility are from out of state or foreign nationals even. the only way we can get applicants from such locations is via online job postings, or postings in those universities for potential applicants once they graduate. we do have the occasional student who eventually works with us, but it's rare we get a therapist that way.

i'm just worried that ever since i applied online late last week for per diem jobs in my area, i yet have to hear back from the employers. how long should i wait to hear back from them for per diem applications? or should i mail them my applications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,848,475 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
If you do a search of this forum, I actually posted about human-voiced resumes and pain letters.

I had been applying to places online. I was applying for jobs that I was qualified for in all ways (had the education, skills, experience) and nothing.

I switched to the human-voiced resume (with dragon slayer stories) and the pain letter. I'm getting call backs. This style resume and the pain letters are working for me, particularly, where the employer has some ridiculous job description.

I really like this author and she was right on another point, too. She also thinks that you shouldn't waste time with HR. Bypass them and talk directly to the hiring manager. This is nothing new. I have always tried to do this. But what is new is simply contacting the hiring manager and telling him the truth: "I'd prefer to talk to you, Mr Hiring Manager, because, in my experience, HR doesn't really understand the nuances of this position." Guess what? This worked for my husband. I can't recall if "nuances" was the word he used, but something like that. He did get the job offer.

what kind of industry do you and your husband work in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
3,785 posts, read 9,254,824 times
Reputation: 7363
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
what kind of industry do you and your husband work in?
The industries that we've used this in include health insurance, accounting, and, believe it or not, restaurant management. Forgot to add sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM
 
1,447 posts, read 1,848,475 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
The industries that we've used this in include health insurance, accounting, and, believe it or not, restaurant management. Forgot to add sales.
How did you know who the hiring manager is for each application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top