U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM

11 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was interviewing for this job. The recruiter called me initially and as at that time, I was kind of desperate for the job, i said the range of salary I want is at least 65 to 67k. Now I got the offer and she called, revisited the terms I said. The call was so unexpected that I didn't prepare well to answer those questions and didn't modify my original terms..... Gave her the impression that I'm still ok with the range of 65-67k. On second thought, I think I could shoot for at least 70k as :1. I just got a raise at work (3%) 2. I got a new certificate during this time. She said she will get the offer out. Now thinking about it, I wish I could ask for more. Should i wait until she sends out the written offer and then negotiate or should i email her right now saying, although I said that but i didn't do thorough research and would appreciate a higher salary. She also considers giving me a sign on bonus between 5-7k for relocation. Still I know salary would be the thing that sticks with me for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

68 posts, read 66,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_chris View Post
Hi. I was interviewing for this job. The recruiter called me initially and as at that time, I was kind of desperate for the job, i said the range of salary I want is at least 65 to 67k. Now I got the offer and she called, revisited the terms I said. The call was so unexpected that I didn't prepare well to answer those questions and didn't modify my original terms..... Gave her the impression that I'm still ok with the range of 65-67k. On second thought, I think I could shoot for at least 70k as :1. I just got a raise at work (3%) 2. I got a new certificate during this time. She said she will get the offer out. Now thinking about it, I wish I could ask for more. Should i wait until she sends out the written offer and then negotiate or should i email her right now saying, although I said that but i didn't do thorough research and would appreciate a higher salary. She also considers giving me a sign on bonus between 5-7k for relocation. Still I know salary would be the thing that sticks with me for a long time.
Typically I find that recruiters are the problem, but this time the opposite appears to be true. What exactly do you hope to benefit by telling her after she has prepared an offer letter with the salary you told her you wanted? Just so I have this right, this recruiter found you a job, gave you the salary you requested, even has offered relocation assistance, and is pretty much following your request/s exactly...and yet, you don't have the respect to tell her you are now having second thoughts?

Instead of emailing, pick up a telephone and call her and tell her the truth. If you do as you say and I was the hiring company, I would immediately pull the offer because it is clear you are wishy washy. That tends to invite in trouble.

It sounds like you are taking this job simply for money purposes. Now you are bickering over a few thousand dollars. Is your reputation with that recruiter and business worth that little amount of money? So do yourself a favor and allow the recruiter to retain her professional integrity by not embarrassing her with her client/employer; otherwise you might as well wash your reputation down the toilet at minimum with her and that employer.

Make a decision and be courteous enough to respectfully share it with the other parties involved in the transaction. By your own post that is precisely what they have done with you. If you tell her you want $70K or however much maybe they will simply say "OK" and this will all be avoided. Will all due respect I think you need to act a little more professionally in this situation than you are.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,070,781 times
First, recruiters aren't your friend. They work for the employer. If you're being high-maintenance to them, they won't push to put you in, as it's their reputation at stake.

Second, three grand a year is not even $1.50 an hour. Does it really mean that much to you to potentially lose the opportunity?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:43 PM

17,258 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Agreed with the two responses above.

I suggest you let it go.

I wouldn't take it too kindly as an employer or as a recruiter to have someone nitpick over salary that wasn't dealt with before.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:15 PM

3,781 posts, read 2,998,505 times
You've been asked twice what your salary requirements are. It's too late to change your mind.

Emailing to say you didn't do your salary research would be utterly foolish. Attempting to negotiate after stating your requirements twice would be unprofessional.

I am all for salary negotiations, but not in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or