U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM

270 posts, read 185,421 times

Advertisements

I find this irrelevant to a job seeker.

Who is it that you are suppose to know?

Yes someone can pass along your resume, but does that mean anything will become of it.

I hate when people say network. Who am I suppose to network with, where is it I'm suppose to do this networking. And while 'networking' am I supposed to say "Oh and by the way, do you know anybody or can you help get me a job?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
In my experience "it's who you know" means someone who is working at a company who can tell you there is an opening and will put in a good word for you. In Portland OR where I used to live, it was about the only way to get a good job or any job in many cases because for one job opening there could be as many as fifty resume submissions in one day.

I got most of my jobs by networking. I was on the hiring end of my last job and the candidates who were recommended by incumbent employees were put on the top of the list. That just saved time in weeding out those applicants who used to fill out applications with no qualifications whatsoever.

Of course, it wasn't the only way to get a job, but it certainly held a lot of weight especially in mid-level jobs where highly special skills were not required.

It's referrals from people with whom you once worked; you let them know you are now looking and ask if there are any openings or if they will let you know when there are. I had great jobs find me that way when I wasn't even looking. It's friends; ask if they have any openings where they are working if they are in the same field as you. It's just putting it out there that you are available or could be available.

These days, finding a job is in itself, finding a job.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,455,883 times
I hate networking. But I think networking is really important. I also think it can be really difficult without an "in" into the job market in your field. I have gotten several jobs now because of networking and knowing the right people (because of the networking).

It's hardest to network when you have absolutely no connection to the field. My husband is doing a lot of networking right now. He's going to events in his field, striking up conversations with people, passing along his card, being super social and friendly, etc. My field is more academic and I've made a point to introduce myself to various professionals, chat a bit, attend events where they will be, etc. My husband started off with no "in" into his field. I had one connection in my field and pushed forward from there. I'm not a big extrovert, and I don't like "cold call" types of conversations. But I have found it to be super helpful.

Quote:
And while 'networking' am I supposed to say "Oh and by the way, do you know anybody or can you help get me a job?"
Sure, but not quite like that. You say you are looking for a change or you'd love to hear about any job openings in your field, or you're interested in keeping in touch should some job openings come about, etc. It's worked for both my husband and I.

My resume has been passed along by people I know and it has made a difference in many cases. People are often more likely to hire those who come "recommended" from someone else, someone they trust. Ideally, we'd all get hired based on our qualifications alone, but the reality is that it doesn't always work that way.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM

10,063 posts, read 4,671,845 times
networking is when you already know people and they have a job, they call and ask if you are interested...
Or when you are looking for a job and you want to work where they do, they can give you advice on application process/help with resume/put in a good word

when people say networking is a problem, I take it to mean they have no associates who think well of them... sorry, but networking is fairly easy, you can do it in the grocery store, out eating, with coworkers, with hobby partners, church, etc

Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 AM

1,120 posts, read 659,122 times
OP, are you near the beginning of your career? I think this generally applies to people with a little bit of experience. Once you've been in an industry for a little while your name starts to become recognized by clients, competitors, or just other people in your industry. Going to industry events (conferences, etc) or joining a professional organization tied to your industry are also good ways to get to know people. Make sure to connect with these people on Linkedin as well, because corporate recruiters certainly find people going that route.

Once you become somewhat established in your field who you know does become important. I have people pass along job opportunities to me a few times a year. Many of them aren't even posted anywhere yet. That is actually how I ended up in my current job. They were looking for someone to fill this position and a former colleague passed my name along. On the reverse, I do the same thing for people I know in my industry when I become aware of an opening that might be a good fit for both companies.

The bottom line is that a hiring manager will instantly give more credibility to a candidate brought to them from a trusted employee/colleague/client, than someone who applies through a job site.

I definitely hate "networking" type events and avoid them as much as I am able to. I do try to remain in contact with former coworkers and clients who I had a good relationship with.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM

8,808 posts, read 13,301,562 times
At many companies job candidates recommended by either a worker or manager already at the company get to bypass the dysfunctional cluster F that is the HR run hiring process for people that apply which almost noone can get through the bad software, filters on the software that eliminate almost everyone, ridiculously specific list of specific qualification and experience, and gauntlet of general reasons HR has to eliminate candidates (age, gaps, credit, responses to irrelevant and stupid interview questions they ask...). Most people would never be hired if they had to go through the typical HR hiring process so someone that they know gets them straight to an interview with a hiring manager and HR is told to back down and deal with the paperwork.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,846,186 times
i hate networking but i've seen its advantages for locals or already has experience. i do have to say it varies per employer/company, especially if it's a company that's open to hiring foreign nationals on work visas. how is a foreign national supposed to have some connections to a company when they're not even in the country to begin with? some really crafty foreigners may have friends (already friends from their home countries) working in some companies here in the US (or whichever country they're aiming to go to), hence some insider connection, but most often it does not work that way.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM

273 posts, read 152,451 times
I like networking. I find it fun.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,302,347 times
You can be best friends with the hiring manager but you won't get in the door if you aren't qualified for the position.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,068,290 times
Networking is MUCH easier when your job and your hobbies are similar or the same. If your job/career is a drudgery then your not going to be inclined to go to trade seminars or go by shops and offices to meet people and discuss their products or what they are working on etc out of a pure intellectual curiosity.

When you are trying to accomplish your own projects, talking to vendors and contractors and other offices you naturally build up a contacts list in your phone.

I get calls for jobs from time to time, it used to be a lot more but my industry is in major recession due to world events.

I personally think everyone should be working towards financial independence, whether its index funds or rental properties people should have income outside of a day job that can keep them afloat if they are laid off. Better to just have to cut out eating out than to be totally screwed and needing to apply for food stamps. If you have even a few grand a month in passive income it also makes a job interview a MUCH more honest process as you are also interviewing the company because you don't NEED the job, like desperately need it, because you can get by on your passive income even if its not glamorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or