Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 AM

345 posts, read 252,263 times

Advertisements

I've had four face to face interviews this year and this is a first for me. I received the email below-interview is an hour with two people. Not sure what to think. Have you ever received an invite like this?

Interview Details:

We conduct behavioral based interviews, so please come prepared to share examples of past experiences related to the position for which you are applying. We use the SAR method for conducting these interviews:

S - Situation (what was the situation)

A - Actions (what actions did you take)

R - Results (what were the end results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 09:33 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
While I have never seen this listed in such a way for an interview invite, it is a very common interview technique, and one I use myself.

Come prepared to tell as out situations you have faced in the past. Prepare a few different ones. I would suggest one situation where you saw a need/lack/opportunity in your company, how you developed a plan to address that need, resources and contacts you used to make it happen, and the results of the project.

A second situation should involve a conflict with a coworker (or vendor, or customer) and how that played out.

A third should be more of an as hoc response on your part. Talk about a surprise, emergency or something similar that you could not prepare for. Describe your reactions and the results.

In all cases, prepare for followup questions that ask for more detail. You should also be able to say what you would do differently when faced with the same situation again, providing some proof that you analyze results, learn from them, and constantly improve.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the tips! I've been in behavioral based interviews before--just thought it was an odd invitation email to send.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM

68 posts, read 123,343 times
Sounds like something a government entity would send.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 AM

I told a friend of mine I should walk in the interview room and say, "Why don't we forget this whole SARS interview and jsut have a conversation so we can get to know each other, because I want to find out if I want to work here just like you want to find out if you want me".

Old 08-26-2016, 12:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Yes let's forget about this degrading exercise in HR junk science and talk about how I can add value to your company. What a novel idea.

Unfortunately people are not hired anymore on merit and value.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I told a friend of mine I should walk in the interview room and say, "Why don't we forget this whole SARS interview and jsut have a conversation so we can get to know each other, because I want to find out if I want to work here just like you want to find out if you want me".
Any reasonable interview will also have a conversational give and take portion. The SAR portion is to verify your competence and truthfulness.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Any reasonable interview will also have a conversational give and take portion. The SAR portion is to verify your competence and truthfulness.
I hope that is the case but it doesn't sound like it according to the many comments on Glassdoor.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it?
I screamed, swore, and pitched a big Erlenmeyer flask at him.

Do HR bimbos really think Mr./Mrs. sociopath is going to show up and tell you about the time he/she stole others lunches, sabatoged others, mobbed another worker into quitting...

I've had more than a few interviews that were like some cross between a police interrogation and a really degrading psychology session.

BTW all this emphasis on personality interviewing has done absolutely nothing to reduce the number of nasty people being hired. It just selects for good talkers.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it?
I screamed, swore, and pitched a big Erlenmeyer flask at him.
People do say the most amazing things. People admit to getting into physical fights. I had one person say that if they got into a conflict with another employee they would simply call the police, because that would give them a good case for a union grievance. That is what they had done at their two previous jobs.

Quote:
Do HR bimbos really think Mr./Mrs. sociopath is going to show up and tell you about the time he/she stole others lunches, sabatoged others, mobbed another worker into quitting...
I am not sure why you have to use a charged term such as bimbo, but yes, people do say such things. For the record, in my experience it is not HR that leads questions, it is entirely up to the hiring manager. Most of the nuance is found with follow up questions. Few people admit to crazy behaviour with an initial question, but follow-up questions often reveal more.

Quote:
I've had more than a few interviews that were like some cross between a police interrogation and a really degrading psychology session.
Perhaps. I cannot speak to you personal experience.

[/quote]BTW all this emphasis on personality interviewing has done absolutely nothing to reduce the number of nasty people being hired. It just selects for good talkers.[/quote]

In part it does. It also reveals some falsehoods. Simply scanning resumes for experience and credentials as you advocate would cause a tremendous number of problems as well, in addition to being completely unworkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search