U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM

152 posts, read 63,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
From the point of view of a hiring manager, this is not correct.

Yes, you certainly want to put your best foot forward. But nobody is going to reject you as an applicant if your belt doesnt quite match your shoes (well, maybe somebody in the fashion industry might...).

In reality, you will be assessed in comparison with every other applicant that interviews, and for most jobs there will be 4-6 people interviewed. The odds are that you will probably get 5 rejections after an interview for every one offer. The decision to offer a position will be based upon experience, education, the companies needs and yes, your presentation. Some if this is quite beyond your control.

One example that comes to mind was for a technical position we had open. Several applicants were qualified, some exceptionally so. The decision came down to 2 different candidates, one who was strong in area A, and weak in area B. The other was strong in B but weak in A. Both candidates clearly met our minimum qualifications, and both interviewed well. We chose the applicant that was strong in A, weak in B, mostly because we had another employee who was pretty decent in B.

The person we rejected was probably very disappointed, and might be coming up with all sorts of rationalizations. The simple fact is that somebody met our needs better. Had circumstances been just a bit different, we would have made a different decision.
Fishbrains, you make an excellent point. I completely agree. However, I was thinking of in terms of you are the person they want to hire, but...??? It's that but part(the pause) that I am asking about. I'm not perfect but when you are honest with them and you connect with them and you fulfill their needs and you are the person they are looking for, why the pause? It's probably thee must annoying thing in the entire world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 AM

152 posts, read 63,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtondsouza View Post
What is believe it is all about your knowledge and skill that matters during the interview. As long as you do not have the confidence in the job role, you are never be considered as a potential candidate. It is all about the confidence that matters during the interview.
Yes, you're right about confidence. Thanks

Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM

9,024 posts, read 8,443,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Fishbrains, you make an excellent point. I completely agree. However, I was thinking of in terms of you are the person they want to hire, but...??? It's that but part(the pause) that I am asking about. I'm not perfect but when you are honest with them and you connect with them and you fulfill their needs and you are the person they are looking for, why the pause? It's probably thee must annoying thing in the entire world.
There are big buts, and little buts. (There is probably am emoji out there somewhere for this...)

Talking excessively with your hands, wearing an out of style suit jacket, slouching, or wearing too much jewelry are all pretty minor matters.

I interviewed one person for a senior position once who refused to address women directly. I wasn't the senior person in the room, but I was one of two men, with about 6 women. My female boss was part of the interview team. This guy addressed every answer to me and the other male in the room, regardless of topic, regardless of who asked. This was a pretty big issue, and we decided to pass on the candidate because he creeped out 3/4 of the interview team, and the men on the ream thought he was just weird.

Table manners and public speaking might be a big issue, might be a little one, depending on the position being filled. In my position I go to business lunches/dinners several times a year, and I need to speak in front of groups weekly. I have to have a solid command of social niceties for this reason, whereas for other positions it might not matter.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:54 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,437,523 times
Quote:
Hi Domitian, I am sorry to hear about your interview. It is frustrating especially when you really want to work at the place. You never really know what goes on in the mind of a hiring manager. They will judge you on everything: how you sit, what you wear, your voice during the interview...I mean everything! And if even one minor thing out of 100 doesn't look quite right, they will negativitize that one thing like you've never seen a negative person do before.
That's taking things to an extreme, isn't it?
For every opening I had, there were almost always no "perfect" candidate but 2-3 equally-qualified candidates with both positive and negative aspects to them. Many times it comes down to personality, presentation, or other subjective tie-breakers. If you weren't selected, it doesn't mean you can't do the job, it just means I liked someone else better for whatever reason.
It's not complicated.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM

4,359 posts, read 8,006,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
That's interesting. I was just telling my wife about the weird interview I went on yesterday. . . I am an expert in a specific are of IT. I have certifications, I teach the certification class, experience, and involvement in a group devoted to that specific area. But the guy didn't seem to trust that I knew what I know and have done what I've done. He wanted to call in a buddy to talk to me and assess my knowledge (I felt like I was on pawn stars )

At first I thought it was just me - that I had not exhibited confidence or "sealed the deal". But then I realized that I've NEVER been accused of being unconfident or unable to communicate so it just had to be a skeptical hiring manager, by nature. I'm actually glad it didn't work out - imagine working for a manager whose alwasy distrustful and skeptical. It would be stressful and miserable.
I think he/she may have been burned in the past. And they're carrying that experience with them (as we all do). So it's unfortunate that things didn't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
The whole focus of HR now is to find reasons NOT to hire you. They write job postings that are so off the wall and compare applicants to a checklist. Of course that assumes an actual person even looks at the applicant's materials. Human Resource people shuffle papers and believe they wield magical powers over all employees. They are not to be trusted at all, never tell them anything related to your personal life and never tell them anything more than is asked.

Any business could eliminate 99% of the HR function by simply telling hiring managers they are responsible for their own hiring. The manager has a budget, he knows what he needs in an employee, and he knows what to look for in an applicant. The 1% of HR that would need to be retained is the legal piece--compliance. Hire a few attorneys to do this function and then completely eliminate your HR department.
In every company I've been with, recruiting is not the only thing HR does. In fact, I can't think of one where that was their 'main' service. So to say that you can get rid of 99% of HR function is a bit excessive. There are many functions that are strictly overhead (accounting, IT, admin, etc.). That doesn't mean they are useless.

Quote:
That's a pretty big assumption. Also - you're saying "I'm being honest". And maybe you are. But they key is whether or not they feel the same way. We all go through different experiences, and we rely on those past experiences to preserve our future. If someone was burned recently, it'll be much harder to get them to trust you. Finally - you may be the person they want to hire... but there may be two other candidates they feel the same about. Which could also be why the pause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or