U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 PM
 
Location: ohio
2,740 posts, read 1,315,426 times
Reputation: 3116

Advertisements

I am 56 yrs old, out of work over a year, I was turned down for a warehouse/stock job at Kohls. Email rejection about 1 hr after filling out the online forms and taking their personality test. I can see right thru those questions, cant imagine that was the issue. I did mark a question that asked if you prefer to work alone or with a group as "Alone" - that was probably key.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM
 
68 posts, read 66,873 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I am 56 yrs old, out of work over a year, I was turned down for a warehouse/stock job at Kohls. Email rejection about 1 hr after filling out the online forms and taking their personality test. I can see right thru those questions, cant imagine that was the issue. I did mark a question that asked if you prefer to work alone or with a group as "Alone" - that was probably key.
I thought all that "testing" stuff ended a few years ago. Usually in the hiring market new things become all the rage, then the businesses who were fed these lies by consultants realize how idiotic they are and abandon them (after paying the consultant massive amounts of course). Go to the Kohls store and ask for the manager, tell him/her you think you'd make a great colleague and immediately start saying why, smile a lot and make them say no to your face. You may be surprised with the result.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,755 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Reputation: 31045
A personality test to work in a warehouse, ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 AM
 
Location: NYC
1 posts, read 1,799 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A personality test to work in a warehouse, ridiculous.
Personality tests disqualified me from overnight stock.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 07:59 AM
 
486 posts, read 721,228 times
Reputation: 1065
I have applied to my local grocery store, local casino, Dollar Tree, Lowes, Arby's, Staples. Some I was rejected, the others I never heard back. After applying for 106 jobs, and going on 17 interviews in over 5 months of job searching, I give up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 08:48 AM
 
Location: USA
6,223 posts, read 5,354,840 times
Reputation: 10636
Jobs that require fast physical labor often won't hire an older person. I had a co-worker in his mid 50s who applied for warehouse jobs and always was told he was overqualified, even though he barely had a high school education.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
298 posts, read 135,520 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abvincent1 View Post
I thought all that "testing" stuff ended a few years ago. Usually in the hiring market new things become all the rage, then the businesses who were fed these lies by consultants realize how idiotic they are and abandon them (after paying the consultant massive amounts of course). Go to the Kohls store and ask for the manager, tell him/her you think you'd make a great colleague and immediately start saying why, smile a lot and make them say no to your face. You may be surprised with the result.
Unfortunately the testing stuff is still in existence. Here are some of my experiences in the last year:

1) Interview from 8 am-1 pm. Put in a small room and test after test was given to me until approximately 5 pm. I still wasn't done, so they let me take home another 8 pages (personality) and return it to them. I didn't get the job, thankfully.

2) Interview from 9:30 am to 1 pm. Put in a conference room and 2 1/2 hours of tests. Took home another 300 plus question test (personality) which I emailed back. I didn't get the job.

3) Phone interview and then a link to take a personality/math/verbal test, which took about 2 hours. Was invited to a face to face, and after 2 1/2 hours of interviewing they handed me a 3 page aptitude test which they watched me complete. I got the job but was fired after 5 months for disagreeing with another manager (the CEO's favorite boy) about someone I wanted to hire and he didn't.

4) Phone interview and then a link to take a test. Took approximately 1 1/2 hours. Never heard back from them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Altadena, CA
1,579 posts, read 1,545,480 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I am 56 yrs old, out of work over a year, I was turned down for a warehouse/stock job at Kohls. Email rejection about 1 hr after filling out the online forms and taking their personality test. I can see right thru those questions, cant imagine that was the issue. I did mark a question that asked if you prefer to work alone or with a group as "Alone" - that was probably key.

Sign up with Manpower... they'll get you something.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM
 
68 posts, read 66,873 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Unfortunately the testing stuff is still in existence. Here are some of my experiences in the last year:

1) Interview from 8 am-1 pm. Put in a small room and test after test was given to me until approximately 5 pm. I still wasn't done, so they let me take home another 8 pages (personality) and return it to them. I didn't get the job, thankfully.

2) Interview from 9:30 am to 1 pm. Put in a conference room and 2 1/2 hours of tests. Took home another 300 plus question test (personality) which I emailed back. I didn't get the job.

3) Phone interview and then a link to take a personality/math/verbal test, which took about 2 hours. Was invited to a face to face, and after 2 1/2 hours of interviewing they handed me a 3 page aptitude test which they watched me complete. I got the job but was fired after 5 months for disagreeing with another manager (the CEO's favorite boy) about someone I wanted to hire and he didn't.

4) Phone interview and then a link to take a test. Took approximately 1 1/2 hours. Never heard back from them.
As a finance guy I would immediately quantify all that lost opportunity cost and tell them where to shove it. In fact, I would probably go home, estimate all the costs involved with the testing of the business, detail it in a report, show the massive loss and add the intangible loss as a result of the company's public reputation and send it directly to the CEO and add the HR VP as a cc. Sometimes the CEOs and leadership of these companies don't even know the extent of the ignorance they have working below them.

This entire "testing" garbage comes from IO Psychology. That has now shifted to ATS which are now the new ignorant rage. Who knows what it will be next.

By not getting any of those jobs you really dodged several bullets. Imagine going on a date with someone and this is how they treated you at the first date. Would you want another date or would you run for your life?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
298 posts, read 135,520 times
Reputation: 279
Oh and I forgot to mention another thing about example #1. A few days after I gave them the 8 page personality test I got a call from the hiring manager asking me to meet him for lunch. Of course I think I am getting an offer right? As soon as we sit down he says, "We aren't making you an offer at this time". I should have said a few choice words and walked out, but I didn't.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top