U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:30 AM

12,245 posts, read 10,481,529 times

Advertisements

No, never. It's asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,884,549 times
I wouldn't add anything to do with politics. It may be illegal, but some people won't hire others with differing stances.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:28 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,490,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I wouldn't add anything to do with politics. It may be illegal, but some people won't hire others with differing stances.
No, it's not illegal to discriminate on political stance.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:08 AM

1,040 posts, read 795,808 times
In Wayne county, Ohio, we would know all about your political activities. There would be articles about you in The Daily Record newspaper. Hiding your political activities would not be an option.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 AM

17,489 posts, read 10,355,970 times
Does anyone out there actually think that they can 'hide' what they do on the outside, particularly if they are in the public eye campaigning for certain political parties or candidates?

Why even give a potential employer that ammo by outright leading them on mentioning your political activities on a resume?

I also find the OP a bit hypocritical, saying he would not hire someone that did something like political activity supporting democrats in college, listing things that not all democrats/liberals do. I've worked with many co-workers that leaned democrat/liberal, and not one of them screamed for an overly PC environment, or didn't want to discuss religion, or any of those other negative stereotypes. They were fun and chill people to work with, and most definitely NOT P.C. So what does that say about the OP?

It's almost like baiting a potential employer by mentioning political work on a resume. Kind of like how some people like to put politically oriented bumper stickers on their car. It's all about them and how everyone that doesn't share their views or think like them are the 'bad' ones.

Can You Be Fired For Your Political Beliefs Or Activities? Maybe

Quote:
Political affiliation/activities: Not all states have laws prohibiting political affiliation discrimination or termination for political activities, but many do. So do some counties and cities. The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 prohibits political affiliation discrimination against federal employees. In Michigan, the laws prohibit direct or indirect threats against employees for the purpose of influencing their vote. It also prohibits tracking of political activity. In Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky, employers are prohibited from posting or handing out notices threatening to shut down or lay off workers if a particular candidate is elected. In Oregon, it’s illegal to threaten loss of employment in order to influence the way someone votes. In Washington State, it’s illegal to retaliate against employees for failing to support a candidate, ballot position or political party. Some states, like California, Colorado, New York, North Dakota and Louisiana, say it’s illegal to retaliate against an employee for their off-duty participation in politics or political campaigns. In Florida, it’s a felony to “discharge or threaten to discharge any employee in his or her service for voting or not voting in any election, state, county, or municipal, for any candidate or measure submitted to a vote of the people.”

Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 AM

684 posts, read 506,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm currently updating my CV and I'm just curious if something should be included. Different people have given me contradictory advice on this.

I'm a member of the Republican Party executive committee for my county, and also served as a delegate representing my electoral district in the GOP state convention where we voted on the party platform. Some have told me this reflects that I am a well-rounded person and demonstrates my leadership and community service skills. I know others who have put something similar on their CVs and just left out which political party they were a member of.

Do you think that's a good idea, to mention it but leave out the political party? I do know that political affiliation isn't a protected category and that they technically won't be breaking the law by asking.

Personally, if I was interviewing someone, and they said they were President of the College Democrats I would most definitely not hire them (I would assume they will demand an overly PC environment, take issue with any mention of God, perhaps demand an unreasonable salary like the $15 minimum wage advocates or engage in union blackmail) , but if they left the party unidentified I would see their involvement as something positive. What's y'alls take on this?
I was once placed into a republican environment (every-one is a registered republican) in that work place. I ended up doing 2 weeks of jail over an F.U. email to the company owners.

In my previous job, it was clear that it's a liberal company. An aged woman decided to advocate her republican values (while others were focused on the job). When she complained about her problems with management, my advice was to run away from this company as fast as possible.

Now, I might not hire you with THAT on your resume (depending on the job of course). But it might be a good thing, because people who will hire you will be like minded and you will endup with a good experience, instead of a hostile one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or