U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:27 PM

94 posts, read 115,996 times

Advertisements

I've been casually job searching for about 2 months, because I'm not happy where I am and I'm trying to move on. The following is SO irritating. I'll apply for a job, 3-4 weeks later I get a call from the HR person saying "This is Henrietta Human from Whiskey Hotels, inc. We have your resume/Hiring Manager has your resume, (insert whatever here) and would like to schedule an interview/screening/whatever. Please call me back so we can set up a time"

This happens alot and I cannot answer every call every time my phone rings. So I'll call back an hour or two later, and don't get a return call. I'll wait 2 days then try to touch base again. Nothing. A week goes by, I'll call again. Nothing. WHY WHY WHY? If someone can't be bothered to return a simple phone call to the person you were calling in the first place, perhaps THAT person's job should be available as well.

There was one company that called that I really wanted to work for, called the lady back within 30 minutes, and I never heard from her. I emailed their HR department directly and said that I'd been called and perhaps the person that contacted me was on vacation or had an emergency but that yes, I'd love to accept the interview with the hiring manager. A week goes by and the person emails me and says that they'll be scheduling interviews soon and that she'd be in touch. Never heard from her again, despite following up via phone/email once a week.

I am coming to the conclusion that HR people are the most unprofessional people that companies have. It's a shame that they have these folks representing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 04:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,336,934 times
it's just a sign of a bad company to be honest. HR folks get busy and have delays just like everyone else but if they don't respond back within 1-2 days i wouldn't want to work there.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 PM

1,193 posts, read 717,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
I've been casually job searching for about 2 months, because I'm not happy where I am and I'm trying to move on. The following is SO irritating. I'll apply for a job, 3-4 weeks later I get a call from the HR person saying "This is Henrietta Human from Whiskey Hotels, inc. We have your resume/Hiring Manager has your resume, (insert whatever here) and would like to schedule an interview/screening/whatever. Please call me back so we can set up a time"

This happens alot and I cannot answer every call every time my phone rings. So I'll call back an hour or two later, and don't get a return call. I'll wait 2 days then try to touch base again. Nothing. A week goes by, I'll call again. Nothing. WHY WHY WHY? If someone can't be bothered to return a simple phone call to the person you were calling in the first place, perhaps THAT person's job should be available as well.

There was one company that called that I really wanted to work for, called the lady back within 30 minutes, and I never heard from her. I emailed their HR department directly and said that I'd been called and perhaps the person that contacted me was on vacation or had an emergency but that yes, I'd love to accept the interview with the hiring manager. A week goes by and the person emails me and says that they'll be scheduling interviews soon and that she'd be in touch. Never heard from her again, despite following up via phone/email once a week.

I am coming to the conclusion that HR people are the most unprofessional people that companies have. It's a shame that they have these folks representing them.
Because they probably found another candidate to fill the interview slot before you returned their call. Most HR reps are under pressure to fill slots so a lot of times whoever they get in contact with first usually gets the slot.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 AM

46 posts, read 26,843 times
The 2 day gap is a little long. I know you were trying to be courteous but I would call twice a day for the next 3 days - one around 1130am and one around 350pm.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:34 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
I think they get points just for making out calls. It happens a lot.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:49 AM

191 posts, read 149,441 times
It's probably cause employers are routinely FLOODED w/ hundreds and hundreds of applications from well-qualified individuals, PER job opening!!

Think about it, if you're an HR person and you have 25 job applications/resumes on your desk from *similarly* qualified candidates you can be picky "just because you can" and choose who to call back, who to email back, etc.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2016 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Off-topic. No political commentary, please.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 PM

74 posts, read 34,111 times
I'm a district on call employee who interviewed for a permanent position. I was notified four weeks later that I wasn't selected. I think four weeks is just too long, but I've heard from other places that don't even notify at all.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM

179 posts, read 98,031 times
Hurry up, Hurry up, call me back ASAP!......wait... wait......we don't care....

Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,201,316 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe this too. It's because none of them are going to get fired because they missed out on hiring someone. It isn't like they work in customer service where if they don't do their job they loose business or the customers complain.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 AM

8,808 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Quote:
Don't even get me started on them. I now regard HR as the "profession" I respect the least below politicians and used car salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or