Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 AM

131 posts, read 181,987 times

Advertisements

The modern 21st Century Resume used in today's incredibly competitive job market for professional white collar jobs that required advanced education and experience:

Two pages long (in most cases unless you are just out of college)

Key Words linked specifically to the skills needed for the job for the Applicant Tracking Software

Social Network (LinkedIn) address listed

Accomplishment Statements vs. a list of tasks

Career Headline vs. a Career Objective

Statement of qualifications in bullets near the top

Written specific to an actual job

Able to be scanned by a computer and then if it passes that, ability to get sell yourself in a ten second scan

Shows how your knowledge and skills in technology have added valuable to previous employers and solved organizational challenges
--------

The old fashioned 20th Century Resume (still be used foolishly today)

Jam everything in to one page no matter how many jobs you have

No Key Words or skills list

Lists every task they did in every job

Career Objective

Subjective statements saying how wonderful you are

Written for jobs in general

Written with the expectation that the hiring manager will read it thoroughly.

Last edited by Office Politics; 11-01-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM

21,664 posts, read 24,798,978 times
I haven't updated my resume in years. Social media has completely replaced it. I use Facebook, Ning, Linked-In. And I'm a dinosaur when it comes to that stuff. The only time I've even used a resume, which was years out of date from when I was working in a completely different industry, was when doing a contract job for the government. They needed a resume so I just gave them what I had which said I worked in accounting =D

Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 PM

270 posts, read 272,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
The modern 21st Century Resume used in today's incredibly competitive job market for professional white collar jobs that required advanced education and experience:

Two pages long (in most cases unless you are just out of college)

Key Words linked specifically to the skills needed for the job for the Applicant Tracking Software

Social Network (LinkedIn) address listed

Accomplishment Statements vs. a list of tasks

Career Headline vs. a Career Objective

Statement of qualifications in bullets near the top

Written specific to an actual job

Able to be scanned by a computer and then if it passes that, ability to get sell yourself in a ten second scan

Shows how your knowledge and skills in technology have added valuable to previous employers and solved organizational challenges
--------

The old fashioned 20th Century Resume (still be used foolishly today)

Jam everything in to one page no matter how many jobs you have

No Key Words or skills list

Lists every task they did in every job

Career Objective

Subjective statements saying how wonderful you are

Written for jobs in general

Written with the expectation that the hiring manager will read it thoroughly.
Frankly, I preferred the 20th century resume. The list of accomplishments crap is so easy to B.S. that if I did the hiring, I would immediately ask for references on anything that looked suspicious.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 AM

305 posts, read 281,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Frankly, I preferred the 20th century resume. The list of accomplishments crap is so easy to B.S. that if I did the hiring, I would immediately ask for references on anything that looked suspicious.

I agree. The bias in the poster was so amazingly obvious.

I love how he thinks that just putting a bunch of keywords makes your resume better. It makes it look even more generic than normal.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,993,348 times
Keep your resume to 1 page. No one's going to look at page 2. There's a difference between a resume and a CV.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM

131 posts, read 181,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I agree. The bias in the poster was so amazingly obvious.

I love how he thinks that just putting a bunch of keywords makes your resume better. It makes it look even more generic than normal.
KEYWORDS are just one important aspect of a 21st Century Resume.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM

6,598 posts, read 8,919,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
It looks worse to a human, but not to a computer. I've seen people literally just shove a "Keywords" or "Skills" section at the end of their resume, shoving tons of search terms into it. It probably does get them past some computerized filters, but it looks like crap to the human who then reviews it. I think the key is to get the search terms in your resume in a meaningful way.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,476,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It looks worse to a human, but not to a computer. I've seen people literally just shove a "Keywords" or "Skills" section at the end of their resume, shoving tons of search terms into it. It probably does get them past some computerized filters, but it looks like crap to the human who then reviews it. I think the key is to get the search terms in your resume in a meaningful way.
could always "frame" the resume with the keywords... but people really include a "search terms" section on resume? HAHA, never even thought of that, does that even look professional?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
KEYWORDS are just one important aspect of a 21st Century Resume.

Not really. Or, not unless you're just throwing your resume out there through big company HR software.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM

709 posts, read 763,073 times
What is a career headline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search