U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 AM

12 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

I currently work retail at Marshalls. However, I recently graduated college and been having no luck finding a second job. I applied to a few recently and no calls at all. My boyfriend also tried finding a second job. He got lucky and got hired but they had to come up with a schedule to fit his current schedule for his night job. He works at a supermarket from 7pm-11pm 5 days a week. He got a call a few hours ago from the new job saying they couldn't come up with a schedule for him because of a sleep law even though he lives pretty close to this place. He would of worked 5 days a week from 8am-1pm and it was only a 10-15 minute bus ride from where he lives. Then he would of went home for like 5 hours and then went to the night job, He could of done it. I never even heard of a sleep law where you need 8 hours of sleep to work another job. Oh for this law we are in NYC if it helps :/

How can we both find second jobs? I even looked for more retail because I had retail experience and nope, nothing. My mom told me she might ask her boss at her part time job that is once a week if they can hire me because I volunteered their a lot helping my mom and I know the job and stuff and its once a week for my mom but the program is twice a week. I'm sick and tired of only one job that pays $10 an hour and I want to get a second job, get an apartment, etc but no luck. Even the employment agency near me only has jobs like security guards and truck drivers up. *sigh*

I also walk my neighbors dog and they pay me $15 to walk for one hour, but they haven't called me recently because they are home and their daughter is home from school (college) but i think she went back now..

Any advice on what to do to get a second job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 02:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,856,307 times
I would try websites like Indeed and Idealist.org.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 AM

12 posts, read 8,407 times
I been trying Indeed but i never heard of Idealist.org

I will give that one a try too, thank you!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,452,227 times
I've had second jobs at grocery stores. I don't know what you majored in and if there is any possibility of getting a job in your field that pays more, but I'd keep looking in that direction as well. As you know, $10/hour isn't a lot when you're trying to live independently.

Do you have a set schedule, or does it vary? A set schedule makes a lot easier to find another job. You could possibly make more with set hours working at a school in the office or as a paraprofessional or the custodial staff. It wouldn't equal 40 hours a week, but it might be easier to get a second job to accommodate that.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:44 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,316,763 times
Snagajob, this site/app lists all kinds of low level part time jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or