Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 08:41 AM

74 posts, read 49,034 times

Advertisements

I overheard someone in my district talk about how people are coming in to interviews with jeans and flip flops. I was pretty surprised, it's so difficult to find a job here that I would think people would go above and beyond to get hired. Maybe they just don't care (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
You have two choices:

Be yourself, and get culled out as "not fitting in"

or

"Dress for success" (or to suppress) and run a risk that you're setting yourself up for a daily grind that will destroy more and more of your individuality.

I recognize, as well as anyone else, that a balance has to be struck between the two; my personal approach would be to dress up just "a notch or two" and learn about what's expected under day-to-day conditions as quickly as you can. If you don't like something about the dress expectations, don't take the job, as the resentment is only going to grow as it's forced upon you day-after-day.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Being myself sometimes involves playing video games in my underwear. I don't want to hire that guy, so I don't show up to work that way.

I hold myself to a higher professional standard at work, and this is part of the package of pay, responsibilities, etc. you don't want a job, you don't have to present yourself professionally.

For an interview, dress nicely, which to me means dressing even better than you expect to do so on a regular basis on the job.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM

74 posts, read 49,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Being myself sometimes involves playing video games in my underwear. I don't want to hire that guy, so I don't show up to work that way.

I hold myself to a higher professional standard at work, and this is part of the package of pay, responsibilities, etc. you don't want a job, you don't have to present yourself professionally.

For an interview, dress nicely, which to me means dressing even better than you expect to do so on a regular basis on the job.
The majority of teachers I work with (I'm an on call aide) wear t-shirts, jeans and yes, sometimes flip flops. But they have seniority and tenure so they don't have to worry about it. I'm sure they wore their finest to the initial interview, though.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The seemingly obvious way to find out what to wear is hang out and watch people coming and going a few days before the interview to see what the workers are wearing. Then dress a bit better, not always a coat and tie or long dress. We are business casual, and people I interview are almost always dressed better than I am, though I will wear a tie those days to help make them feel more comfortable in their suit.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:02 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
I'm interviewing for an internal role, at another location, tomorrow. My office is a mixed bag between casual (I wear jeans, t shirts and sneakers to work) and business casual. I don't know what this office is like, so I am going to wear a dress, tights and cardigan. I don't wear suits on interviews because they are not flattering on me, and then I'm uncomfortable and twitchy - but I still dress professionally. In that regard, I think it's a little easier being a woman, there are more choices.

Wearing jeans and flip flops to an interview is just bananas to me. Even though it's not that different from how I come to work.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:38 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
its contingent on the career field.

warehouse work, they don't want the three piece suit guy showing up.
Outdoor work? Again, wear what that environment calls for.

I wear business casual with a dash of class.

One lady that interviewed me had such a great taste in style...Head band that was more cultural, She wore her confidence well!! Think of Mimi From Cleveland ROCKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search