U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:08 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,895,115 times

Advertisements

The job is a family caseworker in which i set people up with the non profit's subsidized childcare. However, people still have to pay a little bit. So I need to know the math for payments. They said it's about an hour long test but the lady said she wouldnt tell me what's on it other than some math.

What type of questions and what type of math do people think would be on this test?

My caseworker through the American Job Center told me about the job bc she knows the hr manager for the non profit. When they set up the interview they didn't even know I was from their program or heard of the program. The HR manager didn't let them know I am from the program. My caseworker said she will follow up with the hr manager after I took the test and the interview.

I feel my caseworker should let them know before hand. The program I am apart of IS PRETTY IMPORTANT. The government pays half my salary for the first 16 weeks, but the the employer has to follow some requirements in order to get that break on my salary. I am apart of this program because I am living close to poverty and don't have alot of work experience, so this program helps out people in my situation. I feel like going into the interview the interviewer panel hasn't seen my resume and will probably start writing me off.

Do you think my interviewers should know before or after the interview I am apart of this program?

Is the type of math on this test worthwhile to study? I mean in college, you usually know a little what to study for.

What type of math would they ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,701 times
How hard could it be??

Basic math with some percentages probably, maybe looking stuff up in tables, following step by step directions....

Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
How hard could it be??

Basic math with some percentages probably, maybe looking stuff up in tables, following step by step directions....
I don't think it's hard, but she said an hour long?

Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 647,592 times
If you have common sense and at least some math aptitude you will be fine.
If worried, buy a tiny calculator with you.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:05 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
People qualify for subsides based on their income. It might be word problems, or case scenario's involving deciding if someone is eligible for babysitting assistance based on their income.

I think they will give you a written scenario, then a problem involving the scenario.

No way to really study, unless you want to look up your state's guidelines for what amount of income qualifies someone for assistance.

I looked up your area. Look on this link, and see if they give income guidelines. I'd take a calculator, or use your phone calculator for any math problems.

Hope this link gives you some guidelines for the income quals...Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes!!

SLO County Social Services

Last edited by JanND; 09-11-2016 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
People qualify for subsides based on their income. It might be word problems, or case scenario's involving deciding if someone is eligible for babysitting assistance based on their income.

I think they will give you a written scenario, then a problem involving the scenario.

No way to really study, unless you want to look up your state's guidelines for what amount of income qualifies someone for assistance.

I looked up your area. Look on this link, and see if they give income guidelines. I'd take a calculator, or use your phone calculator for any math problems.

Hope this link gives you some guidelines for the income quals...Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes!!

SLO County Social Services
It took me 40 mins to complete. It was 4 word problems, and two short answers. Easy. I felt I did good and should get the job.

Some were like calculating time out based on how long some one's child got childcare and practical questions like that/

Old 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM

2,614 posts, read 2,244,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
It took me 40 mins to complete. It was 4 word problems, and two short answers. Easy. I felt I did good and should get the job.

Some were like calculating time out based on how long some one's child got childcare and practical questions like that/

Great! Good luck.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Great! Good luck.
Me too or bust.

I have another interview with same co., but different department next week. No test next time. I don't know what to do if THAT ONE doesn't lead to the job. I am using a government program/grant to help get job placed with my degree in this state, but it's sucking.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:52 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
Did you not get the first job?

How did you get the second interview? Was it offered after your first interview? If so I would look at that positively, it may mean they are trying to get you hired.

If you aren't feeling unsuccessful utilize any helping counselors or job search staff in the program you're using to help you with whatever areas you feel that you need more support in.

They want you to be successful. Grant funded programs really want their participants to succeed, it means they will get more funding. So, be the squeaky wheel, ask for help, make a list...utilize all resources available. Good luck

Old 09-16-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Did you not get the first job?

How did you get the second interview? Was it offered after your first interview? If so I would look at that positively, it may mean they are trying to get you hired.

If you aren't feeling unsuccessful utilize any helping counselors or job search staff in the program you're using to help you with whatever areas you feel that you need more support in.

They want you to be successful. Grant funded programs really want their participants to succeed, it means they will get more funding. So, be the squeaky wheel, ask for help, make a list...utilize all resources available. Good luck
That's positive thinking about the situation. I have not heard back if I got the first job. I won't know until Thursday.

I think the non profit is interested in me because rather I am their favorite candidate or not, only paying half my wages for a financially struggling non profit is a huge benefit to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or