U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 03:43 PM
mcq mcq started this thread

336 posts, read 545,423 times

Advertisements

So I finally received the word. I knew it would come eventually. Couldn't find another job before the clock ran out. They like me there, but just don't have anything internal appropriate for me on this side of the planet. Since I had nearly ten years there, I receive about 2 month's severance (they usually give 2 weeks) and met with the President of the company who insisted I had his full support to find my next position elsewhere, even reaching out to his connections if needed. And he is VERY well connected across the country, if he stays true to his word.

Now my question is, has anyone had a similar situation where the company that lays you off, does in fact come through and assist you in finding your next position elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM

435 posts, read 435,731 times
You had exponentially more time than myself at your company's..However I was laid of (2) times and got the same speech and never got as much as a linked in recommendation .....Now once again that was MY experience but I STRONGLY advise you to actively find opportunities asap and directly as for connection or recommendation. I will almost say NO is going to activity help you out.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:36 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
So I finally received the word. I knew it would come eventually. Couldn't find another job before the clock ran out. They like me there, but just don't have anything internal appropriate for me on this side of the planet. Since I had nearly ten years there, I receive about 2 month's severance (they usually give 2 weeks) and met with the President of the company who insisted I had his full support to find my next position elsewhere, even reaching out to his connections if needed. And he is VERY well connected across the country, if he stays true to his word.

Now my question is, has anyone had a similar situation where the company that lays you off, does in fact come through and assist you in finding your next position elsewhere?
My company gave 2 weeks per year of service severance plus 2 months subscription to a placement agency.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:00 PM

789 posts, read 1,680,833 times
I'd be skeptical, but quick to act on their communicated goodwill. The best way to apply for any position is through an internal referral. As you apply for new positions, mine your old employer's contacts on LinkedIn and ask them to personally send your resume with a recommendation to the hiring manager or whoever they know at the company who is as high up as possible. Don't abuse it by asking too many times, but instead focus on those positions that you are most qualified for and most excited about. Make sure to specifically give them the name(s) of the people you want the resume sent to, and pretty much pre-write the email for them (I was hoping you could reach out to Debbie at ABC Corp at Debbie@ABC.com and send her my resume for the Analyst position. I think I'm a great fit for this position due to my extensive training and experience working on X process with Y software and Z products, and my ability to work with diverse teams and satisfy customers, etc.)

Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 AM
mcq mcq started this thread

336 posts, read 545,423 times
Thanks. I certainly understand it could be empty promises, but these are people I've known since I started out here and have talked to many times over the years, so I'm going to do the best I can with it. I don't really have anything to lose, but won't be neglecting my own efforts either. I'm going out on the best terms that I can. My skepticism as to how much help I'll actually receive prompted this post. Just to see if anyone has been in a similar situation or received similar promises.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Were there internal opportunities on the other side of the planet?

Old 09-10-2016, 02:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,335,852 times
no one here can give you a real answer as to the person you are speaking to and their honesty level. If it were me though, i would immediately be searching for employment and ask his/her assistance with networking for jobs. Then you have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or