Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:07 AM

599 posts, read 693,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Wow. We could be twins. I graduated from a state college in Upstate NY with a B.A. degree in Fine Arts and a A.A.S. degree in Graphic arts - 25 years ago. I have worked in graphic arts/printing, customer service, office administration, database design and retail/food service. The most I have ever made was 31k a year. I just had an interview at a logistics company a week ago for an import coordinator. I'll never hear from them again. I am still unemployed - joy!

I have NEVER, EVER, EVER had an interviewer comment about my bachelor's degree. NEVER. Even when I apply to jobs that require a bachelor's degree, the interviewers NEVER ask me about my college education. When I was employed my bachelor's degree never gave me a heads up for promotions, I mainly worked with people who had only high school educations. Most of my supervisors did not have college degrees.

I understand my bachelor degree in Fine Arts is not highly sought after, but at least my obtaining any 4 year degree should show employers I have potential as I spent the time and money obtaining my education. Unfortunately, I don't think the world cares about "potential."

If I was a youngster I would look at getting a trade, such as auto mechanic, electrician. Of course there is no guarantee that even trade jobs are hiring or have decent pay. Well paying jobs in America are few and far between (OK, maybe just in the rust belt where I live).

Most jobs are not rocket science. Employers could find qualified applicants if they hired on "potential" and were willing to train. Most people can pick up on what is required for the job within a few weeks. Most jobs have the same tasks that are repeated each day. I have interviewed for 18 jobs in the past 6 months. I know, I could do ALL of those jobs with no problem. But for some reason the interviewers determined I was not the best "fit" for the jobs. I am qualified for all the jobs I apply to, and I still can't get a job offer. I am tired of the whole "employers can't find qualified applicants" lie.

I agree with you, as a hiring manager, I never really focused on the degree. I always focused on the job experience. Anyways whenever I hire someone with a degree or advanced degree I'm never impressed with their job performance or skills or abilities at all, they don't seem really smart or better than the ones without. Also I've noticed other coworkers that do have degrees are idiots and don't know how to do there job.

Last edited by back2MD; 10-22-2016 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Ll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 01:35 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
This topic has been discussed many times, and will continue to be discussed for a very long time.

Is a 4 year degree in general worth it?

On the surface, the answer would appear to be yes. Link after link shows that college graduates in fact earn more than their high school only counterparts. Accordingly, in general, someone with a bachelor's degree will out earn someone without over the course of their lifetime.

That said, it also depends on the individual and on the degree.

There are some people that don't go to college, but instead learn a trade or find a union type job, and eventually these people will be making some serious money, along with killer benefits and retirement package.

For these people, not going to college never hurt them, but from a young age these people knew what they wanted to do and worked hard for it. It should never come to a point where you are in your late 20's or 30's and above, and then come to a forum asking if you should learn a trade because you can't find a job. It shouldn't work that way.

Now, many people simply don't want that kind of hard physical labor and would instead go to college to get a degree.

But the problem is, some of these people don't have any clear plans or goals for their future. So they'll take the easy way out and get a soft liberal arts type degree, believing that any degree is better than none. Perhaps, but then these people will then graduate and bemoan they can't even find a job as a barista. Ever notice though that these complainers never seem to have graduated with a STEM degree.

Clearly the highest paying salaries for college graduates goes to those with STEM type degrees.

It's one thing if you choose a liberal arts degree because that is what you truly want to do. Perhaps become a teacher, a writer, things of that sort. But many people don't know what they want to do, and think just having any degree will automatically land them a job forever. Again, life doesn't always work that way.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:09 PM

57 posts, read 70,129 times
the OP answered their own question, a degree with those two words is pretty much toliet paper. liberal and arts is not a degree plan. it should even be banned from being able to apply for anymore.
You would have better luck studying Medieval underwater basket weaving.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I think a degree is good to have because it shows commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search