Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM

94 posts, read 169,119 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a great job a little over a week ago, had 2 phone interviews and this was the face to face interview and it involved interviewing with several people in the company at different levels, and one on one each time. I think it all went pretty well and I felt very comfortable in the interviews. The last person I interviewed with was a VP level and at the end of the interview invited me to add them on LinkedIn and then stated that the hiring manager had a really good plan for me. I was thinking these were very good signs

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask when a decision would be made, so I contacted the recruiter 2 days ago that I'd been dealing with the whole time and asked them about a timeframe but have not gotten a response. I also emailed the VP (different one than mentioned) of the department whom I also interviewed with and asked them as well but no response.

I had great feedback during my interview and presentation, they said they were very impressed with me, so now I'm kind of taken aback at the lack of response at this stage in the process.

Shouldn't the HR person at least answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
In an ideal world, yes.
They could be lazy, they could be swamped, they could be out sick, the could be waiting on the hiring manager and VP, etc.
It's only been a week since the interview (who knows if you were the first or last candidate to interview) and two days since your email so ... be patient and go on with your job search.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:07 AM

Well still no answer after the weekend, and today I saw the job posted but for another country in Europe. (Same company) They have a team of about 3-4 people doing the same job for different regions of the world. Maybe I'm just used to interviews moving faster, as any time I've applied/final interviewed for a job, I had an answer within a week.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Just collecting connections/contacts as many on LinkedIn do.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 PM

Well no news is good news, I finally heard back from the HR rep and she said that she had not heard anything but most of the key players at the company are out of pocket this week at a huge international conference. At least I know I'm still in the running.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
I interviewed for a great job a little over a week ago, had 2 phone interviews and this was the face to face interview and it involved interviewing with several people in the company at different levels, and one on one each time. I think it all went pretty well and I felt very comfortable in the interviews. The last person I interviewed with was a VP level and at the end of the interview invited me to add them on LinkedIn and then stated that the hiring manager had a really good plan for me. I was thinking these were very good signs

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask when a decision would be made, so I contacted the recruiter 2 days ago that I'd been dealing with the whole time and asked them about a time frame but have not gotten a response. I also emailed the VP (different one than mentioned) of the department whom I also interviewed with and asked them as well but no response.

I had great feedback during my interview and presentation, they said they were very impressed with me, so now I'm kind of taken aback at the lack of response at this stage in the process.

Shouldn't the HR person at least answer?
Get used to it. In this day and age, as I have found during my job search, anything goes and the accepted rules of before just do not apply.

Before I landed my current job, I can recount two really interesting situations that occurred.

1. Did well enough in phone interview to be called for in face interview. All went well and was called back for a second interview with HR and the Director of the dept. I sat with the HR person for about 30 mins and at the end she handed me an info package with outline of benefits and so forth with this company. In effect an almost sure bet they were interested. Waited one week , then a second and received an email from the company saying they would be not proceeding with job offer. No background check or credit check etc. as I did not provide any personal info.

2. On Linkedin, somebody from a tech company looked at my profile. Then a week later, I get a call out of the blue from a recruiting firm representing the tech company. The recruiter was selling the position like I was a prefect fit for it. We discussed salary and he contacted the tech company to discuss that matter with them. I out of a real need to land this job, actually informed the recruiter I would be prepared to take a cut in salary in line with what the company was offering. He later that afternoon even added me on Linkedin. That was the last I heard from him. To go out of one's way to do everything possible including the cut in pay was still not enough to keep the ball rolling. The tech company was the one that came after me, I did even know the position even existed nor even applied for it. Totally weird.

Times have changed so much. Now between endless silly phone interviews, wishy washy recruiters and anxiety in the job market, I would advise to be very cautious in how much time and effort put into uncertain hiring situations. Move on and forget fast. It is really easy to get caught up with the game of conjecture and trying to figure out why no call or should I email again etc. If they are interested they will be in touch , that you can be certain. I landed the job I wanted eventually but not after the most perplexing job search ever gone through in all my young years.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 AM

242 posts, read 300,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Get used to it. In this day and age, as I have found during my job search, anything goes and the accepted rules of before just do not apply.

Before I landed my current job, I can recount two really interesting situations that occurred.

1. Did well enough in phone interview to be called for in face interview. All went well and was called back for a second interview with HR and the Director of the dept. I sat with the HR person for about 30 mins and at the end she handed me an info package with outline of benefits and so forth with this company. In effect an almost sure bet they were interested. Waited one week , then a second and received an email from the company saying they would be not proceeding with job offer. No background check or credit check etc. as I did not provide any personal info.

2. On Linkedin, somebody from a tech company looked at my profile. Then a week later, I get a call out of the blue from a recruiting firm representing the tech company. The recruiter was selling the position like I was a prefect fit for it. We discussed salary and he contacted the tech company to discuss that matter with them. I out of a real need to land this job, actually informed the recruiter I would be prepared to take a cut in salary in line with what the company was offering. He later that afternoon even added me on Linkedin. That was the last I heard from him. To go out of one's way to do everything possible including the cut in pay was still not enough to keep the ball rolling. The tech company was the one that came after me, I did even know the position even existed nor even applied for it. Totally weird.

Times have changed so much. Now between endless silly phone interviews, wishy washy recruiters and anxiety in the job market, I would advise to be very cautious in how much time and effort put into uncertain hiring situations. Move on and forget fast. It is really easy to get caught up with the game of conjecture and trying to figure out why no call or should I email again etc. If they are interested they will be in touch , that you can be certain. I landed the job I wanted eventually but not after the most perplexing job search ever gone through in all my young years.
I think that in this day and age until you have an offer in your hand you can't assume anything is yours even if all the signs are pointing to a positive outcome. I found myself in a similar situation to the OP. I managed to network with a CEO of a startup in my area who seemed keen to recruit me. She added me on LinkedIn and from the get go made it sound like the only thing standing between me and the job was my decision about whether or not to take it. Fast forward to after the interview and first up I get no response to my thank you note. A week goes by and I hear nothing so I send a follow-up and get total silence. This happened a month ago so I have long given up on that opportunity.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:53 AM

179 posts, read 155,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Times have changed so much. Now between endless silly phone interviews, wishy washy recruiters and anxiety in the job market, I would advise to be very cautious in how much time and effort put into uncertain hiring situations. Move on and forget fast. It is really easy to get caught up with the game of conjecture and trying to figure out why no call or should I email again etc. If they are interested they will be in touch , that you can be certain.
Exactly. At this point I will not go out of my way in the job search. I know I have the skills and experience to land any of the jobs I apply for, everything else is out of my control. For example, this company emailed me and scheduled an in-person interview with the dept Director in my hometown (the job is out of town). Great! I confirmed the interview with the person. A day later HR calls and wants to set up an interview at their company out of town and they want me to come in ASAP! I told them no. I can't drop everything here, spend all kinds of money I don't have traveling to their company when the hiring director had already scheduled an interview in my city, which is only about a 20 minute drive from my house. Oh, but they bitched and moaned about how I had to come and didn't I know this job was an out-of-town job? Yadda-yadda-yadda.

I told them that I didn't care and that the interview was already set up in my town. The HR girl hung up on me. I figured, who cares, I was not going to waste time and money going to an interview in which I would be immediately rejected or hear nothing back from. I can be rejected immediately from the comfort of my house during a phone interview. Well, a day later the hiring director emails me and says that the original in-town interview is still on. Goody! I have the skills and experience for this job. I will show up on time, and answer the questions. Everything else is out of my hands.

Don't bend over backwords for employers, they certainly don't do it for you.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
Well no news is good news, I finally heard back from the HR rep and she said that she had not heard anything but most of the key players at the company are out of pocket this week at a huge international conference. At least I know I'm still in the running.
OP Anything yet? Fingers crossed for you.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP Anything yet? Fingers crossed for you.
Nothing yet, from reading on Glassdoor, this company seems to take quite awhile to make hiring decisions, in fact some posters had already taken other jobs by the time this one got back to them with an offer, 6-8 weeks after interview; and expressed their frustration on Glassdoor, so I guess I'll sit tight and keep interviewing for other jobs I really like.

Sometimes I wonder though, if there are consistent bad reviews on Glassdoor for one thing that you can change, wouldn't you be inclined to change the way you do that one thing? Other than the interview process, the company gets pretty high marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search