Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM

738 posts, read 585,321 times

Advertisements

What, is everyone on vacation?

Holidays are great if you have a job. If you don't they're a curse.

Hurry up Jan. 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post

Hurry up Jan. 2.
Yes, pretty much. I was in that situation in the winter of 2008, miserable time made worse by lack of funds at the holidays. As I look around the office today, in our group over half are on vacation and most were also off last week. The bus was only 1/2 full, and traffic on the freeway was amazingly light. The schools have "winter break" and people use that opportunity to go on vacation to a warmer place, Hawaii and Florida being popular. There are empty desks in HR too, and no interviews would be scheduled until after the holidays. The good news for you is that many companies (like ours) have approved new positions for the 2017 budget, and will start accepting applications in the next few weeks. We have been running 15-20 openings this fall, currently 10 are posted, but these are just replacements for retirements.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, pretty much. I was in that situation in the winter of 2008, miserable time made worse by lack of funds at the holidays. As I look around the office today, in our group over half are on vacation and most were also off last week. The bus was only 1/2 full, and traffic on the freeway was amazingly light. The schools have "winter break" and people use that opportunity to go on vacation to a warmer place, Hawaii and Florida being popular. There are empty desks in HR too, and no interviews would be scheduled until after the holidays. The good news for you is that many companies (like ours) have approved new positions for the 2017 budget, and will start accepting applications in the next few weeks. We have been running 15-20 openings this fall, currently 10 are posted, but these are just replacements for retirements.

Nice to hear you're hiring. Thanks for the encouraging response.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Same thing. Our parking lot is empty. The most common email response I receive right now is an out of office reply. Most people, myself included, are focusing on cleanup tasks rather than starting anything new.

We did post 5-7 jobs in the last week.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I'm hoping for lots of new postings and some activity in the new year myself.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM

345 posts, read 252,239 times
I had an interview this morning (they contacted me yesterday at 4:30 pm) because the president of the company was in town until today. I was somewhat surprised. A national management position is budgeted for next year and they like my resume. The prez told me it's not budgeted until Q2, but that they have a lower level position which is available immediately (the one I actually applied for which is how they got my resume). I proposed to him that I could do the lower level position, get to know the company, etc. and if I am doing a good job move me into the national management position. He seemed agreeable to that but who knows. In a way I feel like I was sounding desperate but can't second guess myself now.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
We have been on a skeleton crew for the last few Fridays, but otherwise are operating normally.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I know how you feel OP. I'm employed but looking hard to relocate. I have like 20 apps out there and many of them are in a status that leads me to believe I'll get interview calls but just waiting for the holidays to be over already.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:56 PM

242 posts, read 300,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post

Hurry up Jan. 2.
I know how you're feeling. Right before Christmas I got a call back from the HR rep of a company I applied to for a writing job. She asked me for a writing sample to forward to the hiring manager which I did but now I'm waiting in suspense to see if I get an interview. In addition to that no one is dealing with hiring during this time so I can't be sending out new applications either.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Unfortunately, it seems like Jan 2 is also going to be a wretched holiday. The library where I get net access is to be closed.

Can't wait for all this crap to be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search