Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 11,043 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data:

I spoke with the HR Recruiter and she told me that she spoke with the hiring manager about who to invite for an interview. She said she presented the manager with 10 resumes and picked 3 to move forward and I'm included in the list. She said that I was 3rd or 4th place. I didn't understand what she meant but now I think it means that I have the 3rd or 4th resume. If there's 2-3 people with a better resume, does that mean my chances are pretty low? I've never had a recruiter tell me this before so I just wanted to know what y'all thank.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 6,276 times
it does mean they have stronger resumes, but I wouldn't necessarily say that your chances are low. What matters is you made it past the first cut. Now you have a 25% chance of getting the job.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
I think your chances are as good as other folks'. Resume is just a first step, now kill it at the interview, and you are hired. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
It's all about the interview now. If it is a tough decision for them after the interview they might go with the better resume, but usually one person will stand out.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I agree that it means you are lower on the ranking after a review of your resume, but the interview is your chance to impress. Honestly, knowing where you stand is a good thing. You have to impress them and play up all the reasons your experience and education are perfect for this particular position. Do your research well and be prepared to sell yourself. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 AM

733 posts, read 760,596 times
You've got an interview - congratulations! Whether you are the top resume or the 4th-best, it really doesn't matter at this point because you have the opportunity to sell yourself. I've interviewed plenty of people who had a stellar resume who's skills didn't come through at all in an interview. Plus some people lie / stretch their skills on their resume, so it's possible you're going against someone who did that.

That said, every job posting has specific skills required / desired. It's possible someone else had more experience in certain key areas, or more matches of background-to-requirements, thus appearing higher in a ranking. But they obviously felt you had enough matches to bring you in. I'd just analyze your background to the job requirements, and be prepared to speak to them (either you have experience with 'that', or you are familiar with 'it' but haven't had the opportunity to work with 'it' yet but here's an example of something related in my background, etc.) Good luck!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
They may only be interviewing 3-4, your challenge is to move up to #1 by being very well prepared for the interview. We do the same, rank them on the basis of the resume, but the interview often changes that greatly. This preliminary ranking is done only to help determine who to interview. For example, we may only want to interview the top 10, so we have to rank them to determine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search