Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM

628 posts, read 818,273 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand this. The top tier talent is either going to be gainfully employed as an FTE climbing the corporate ladder, while the best independent consultants are charging their rates directly Corp-to-Corp via 1099. If one goes through a staffing agency, they are billing the client much more than the contractor will ever see, and they are still responsible for their health care, more payroll taxes and no vacation. Plus what happens if the client changes its priority and kills off a project or reallocates their budget? No matter how good you are, your job is gone with no notice. Not to mention any conflict comes up and you have no leverage in protecting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Cheaper in the long run for the company using temp/contract.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Cheaper in the long run for the company using temp/contract.
In the best case scenario it might be, but in reality, the employee is going to be a flight risk (leaves without hesitation when something better comes along). Afterwards, they are going to have to train and ramp up another contractor when that one leaves or doesn't work out.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
At the end of the day, it is income. I temped for a year at the same place. I got really lucky with that. It was a long term open ended contract position. I also worked as a contract employee for 4 months. I am grateful. The bills got paid. Imagine how bad things would be if there weren't any temporary positions. It is not easy to find a full time job anymore regardless of education and experience.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
In the best case scenario it might be, but in reality, the employee is going to be a flight risk (leaves without hesitation when something better comes along). Afterwards, they are going to have to train and ramp up another contractor when that one leaves or doesn't work out.
I think this is factored in when they decide to go this route. People used to come and go every other day. It did not phase management.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:44 AM

It also causes a major disruption. We had a senior software engineer that was fed up with working long hours and not being able to get vacation or other benefits. He eventually announced he was leaving for another gig, but the project would of been severely delayed if he left. Mgmt had to basically counter by making him direct hire and promotion. This was something that they didn't plan and was an administrative headache. There is also something called 90 day probation period, which if the employee doesn't work out, they can be easily let go without enrolling them into benefits. Seems to make more sense than the contracting nonsense.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
At the end of the day, it is income. I temped for a year at the same place. I got really lucky with that. It was a long term open ended contract position. I also worked as a contract employee for 4 months. I am grateful. The bills got paid. Imagine how bad things would be if there weren't any temporary positions. It is not easy to find a full time job anymore regardless of education and experience.
I did as well. The problem is now I am 'unemployable' because I have 'too many temp jobs' over the past five years on my resume despite have 2 degrees in accounting & finance.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM

724 posts, read 448,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I did as well. The problem is now I am 'unemployable' because I have 'too many temp jobs' over the past five years on my resume despite have 2 degrees in accounting & finance.
Keep doing the temp jobs, meet more people and hopefully they can get you in somewhere.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 1,865 times
Quote:
Are your temp jobs through an agency? If so then list the agency instead of each temp job. Then you can add the experience skills you gained through each temp job. It will also improve your work history and it won't look like job jumping.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:20 PM

334 posts, read 221,261 times
Quote:
I would list the temp agency and dates. Underneath that, list your title, accomplishments, duties, etc. Some advice is to list every company that you temped at which I STRONGLY disagree with. Too many hiring managers do not understand temp work and it'll look as if you worked at all of these companies in the last few years which will look BAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search