Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM

405 posts, read 568,960 times

Advertisements

I have been following this job posting since it was initially posted 8 months ago. I sent my resume in several times and since I was a good match, I found it odd that I didn't get a request for a phone screen. Finally, I decided to guess the email of the recruiter (in house) based on their name and send them my resume directly. I got a reply back and she requested a phone screen. First question I asked is I noticed the job has been open for nearly a year and why that is. She informed me the job was offered to 2 people who received counter offers so the job is still open. I had a phone screen set up with the hiring manager and he had to cancel due to a last minute meeting, she said he is very hard to get a ahold of as he is always traveling. Even with that being said 8 months is still a very long time and doesn't seem like they are serious about getting someone in the role. After the phone screen tomorrow I asked the recruiter if she could give me a time frame since I am actively interviewing, so I know not to bother if it will be a 4 month process. Was this too pushy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 PM

13,043 posts, read 20,698,725 times
I think they were just being polite and extending a phone screen since you made a direct to-the-person contact. However, if they brush you off a couple time, that may be their way of saying we were nice by responding but take the hint, we are not interested in you. You'll know if that's the case. As for pushy, you can be pushy with an outside recruiter as that's part of what they are paid to do, field the questions.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM

607 posts, read 970,881 times
Sounds like the classic time filler interview with no position open. Yes HR people can get bored...lol

Old 03-06-2017, 02:52 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,218,212 times
See em all the time. Same listings over and over

Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
Sometimes this happens because it's a horrible job with high turnover so they are always taking apps for the revolving door.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,012,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sometimes this happens because it's a horrible job with high turnover so they are always taking apps for the revolving door.
This. Have you researched the company?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
There are many reasons, this being just one of them. I had an opening that took almost 6 months to fill, because the first set of 30 applicants turned out to have exaggerated their skills and experience. By the time the application period closes, resumes are reviewed, and interviews are held, two months can go by. When I decided to start over, with a broader recruitment effort, almost 3 more months went by. Some positions requiring specific skills are better left open for a period of time than bring in someone who is likely to fail. Paying others overtime to cover the workload is far more cost-effective than hiring, on-boarding and trying to train someone only to have them fail probation and then start over.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM

486 posts, read 985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many reasons, this being just one of them. I had an opening that took almost 6 months to fill, because the first set of 30 applicants turned out to have exaggerated their skills and experience. By the time the application period closes, resumes are reviewed, and interviews are held, two months can go by. When I decided to start over, with a broader recruitment effort, almost 3 more months went by. Some positions requiring specific skills are better left open for a period of time than bring in someone who is likely to fail. Paying others overtime to cover the workload is far more cost-effective than hiring, on-boarding and trying to train someone only to have them fail probation and then start over.
To be honest with you, how many new hires actually fail their probationary periods and are terminated?

In my experience working in many phases of industry for 25+ years, I never had one co-worker or boss fail his/her probationary period because of lack of skills and get terminated. Even if that person was a complete screwup. Most people get a job and are either 1) good at the job and get things done; 2) are so/so at the job but can learn over time and are passable; 3) total screwups but are personable and are good at covering up their lack of competence. Most jobs do not require a laundry list of experience, for most jobs a normal intelligent human being can be trained to do the job in a passable manner. Just look around you, look here on C-D on the "Work and Employment" forum where supposed smart employed people complain daily about incompetent bosses/co-workers/customers etc.

Basically the workplace is not perfect, and the chance of finding the perfect candidate does not increase because you keep a job listing open for 8 months. To all employers out there that are looking for that perfect purple unicorn. Just hire someone already. Hire me. I am available.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,442,831 times
Yes. I commend your tenacity in getting to the hr manager but I would be put off by you.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:39 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,442,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
To be honest with you, how many new hires actually fail their probationary periods and are terminated?

In my experience working in many phases of industry for 25+ years, I never had one co-worker or boss fail his/her probationary period because of lack of skills and get terminated. Even if that person was a complete screwup. Most people get a job and are either 1) good at the job and get things done; 2) are so/so at the job but can learn over time and are passable; 3) total screwups but are personable and are good at covering up their lack of competence. Most jobs do not require a laundry list of experience, for most jobs a normal intelligent human being can be trained to do the job in a passable manner. Just look around you, look here on C-D on the "Work and Employment" forum where supposed smart employed people complain daily about incompetent bosses/co-workers/customers etc.

Basically the workplace is not perfect, and the chance of finding the perfect candidate does not increase because you keep a job listing open for 8 months. To all employers out there that are looking for that perfect purple unicorn. Just hire someone already. Hire me. I am available.
A former coworker of my just did. She has lots of experience but the culture was different than she was used to. They did not like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search