Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 777 times

Advertisements

So I have worked at my company 10 years in sales and KILLED my quota... number 1 in the country every year.

I got promoted and shortly after found out I was pregnant, when I came back to work I was told my position was no longer available and they moved me into a new position that is more account management.

I have since been looking for a new job and found a perfect opportunity for my dream job and received an offer which I accepted Monday. I filled out the background info the same day but I used my old title of national accounts instead of account manager because I haven't been at it long and I didn't want to explain what had happened to me and being out on maternity leave. They did ask if they could contact my current employer and I said no because I don't want to lose my job.

I received my background check today and they apparently verified my employment with my current employer but have the account manager title instead of the national accounts title I had on my resume so it was flagged as a discrepancy.

What should I do at this point? I am so embararrsed but I did have the job and the qaulifications I just didn't want to speak about being on maternity leave.

Sorry for the long post please post any thoughts you might have help me save my dream job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I think that you need to be proactive on this one. You need to contact the hiring manager and say that you noticed the discrepancy on the background check. You would like to clarify that the tilted you provided was accurate for most of your tenure with the company, the other title was only applicable for 6 months (or whatever).

Your intent when submitting your application was to accurately reflect the majority of your experience, rather than the exception.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM

607 posts, read 978,344 times
Why didn't you just say they moved you to a new job title and be done with it at the very beginning? You wouldn't have to mention pregnancy as the real reason.

But now that life has taken what is the present time, you will have to explain what could have been done before.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdd78 View Post
So I have worked at my company 10 years in sales and KILLED my quota... number 1 in the country every year.

I got promoted and shortly after found out I was pregnant, when I came back to work I was told my position was no longer available and they moved me into a new position that is more account management.

I have since been looking for a new job and found a perfect opportunity for my dream job and received an offer which I accepted Monday. I filled out the background info the same day but I used my old title of national accounts instead of account manager because I haven't been at it long and I didn't want to explain what had happened to me and being out on maternity leave. They did ask if they could contact my current employer and I said no because I don't want to lose my job.

I received my background check today and they apparently verified my employment with my current employer but have the account manager title instead of the national accounts title I had on my resume so it was flagged as a discrepancy.

What should I do at this point? I am so embararrsed but I did have the job and the qaulifications I just didn't want to speak about being on maternity leave.

Sorry for the long post please post any thoughts you might have help me save my dream job.
i would just say it was a simple mistake; that they filled your position while you were out on maternity leave and you didn't realize you put the old title. Your resume/experience are what got you the job, not the newest job title.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i would just say it was a simple mistake; that they filled your position while you were out on maternity leave and you didn't realize you put the old title. Your resume/experience are what got you the job, not the newest job title.
That might work, and is probably worth a try. From the background checker point of view, that is clearly false information on your application. Here, that is grounds for immediate rejection. It's worse because your new job looks like a demotion, or at least a less responsible position, and that you were trying to hide that. If you explain the situation in detail, it will appear that you were also trying to hide the maternity leave. A good background investigator can find that out, too especially if you posted anything about the pregnancy or baby on social media, but the current employer could have mentioned it.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search