Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:00 AM

16 posts, read 13,821 times

Advertisements

the problem with any job search is that there are now 100 or more applicants for a single job. even if you have a good resume, the odds of being selected are not good. if a job exists with a $18-$19 hour pay rate, you can bet their will be hundreds of applicants.

with manufacturing, the major loss of jobs has been outsourcing to china; although automation does account for some of it. solution to that, make it to expensive for American companies to re-import their goods. that's where I think trump might do something....... I said might. Hillary sure didn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Really you should blame your fellow countrymen. They make up the market that wants ultra-cheap goods filling the shelves at Wallyworld. They aren't willing to pay slightly more to ensure middle class jobs for Americans. They would rather shop at Walmart where the employees rely on welfare to survive, instead of going across the street to the union shop that pays their clerks a living wage.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad356 View Post
the problem with any job search is that there are now 100 or more applicants for a single job. even if you have a good resume, the odds of being selected are not good. if a job exists with a $18-$19 hour pay rate, you can bet their will be hundreds of applicants.

with manufacturing, the major loss of jobs has been outsourcing to china; although automation does account for some of it. solution to that, make it to expensive for American companies to re-import their goods. that's where I think trump might do something....... I said might. Hillary sure didn't care.
Do the math. You have the same odds of landing the job regardless of the number of applicants. You just have to make sure you are a top candidate. Technology has made it easier to apply for jobs. There will always be a ton of applicants. That doesn't mean they are all qualified.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:13 AM

486 posts, read 991,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Life is a crap shoot. You put your best foot forward and hopefully it works out.

Opportunity is definitely less today and with more competition, so the risk is greater of putting in time/money/effort/debt etc... and not getting a return.

Everyone has to try something, but not everyone is going to make it.

It is just the way life is right now.
Exactly. However it seems many people on City Data will beg to differ with you. To the perfect people on City Data, all you need to do is pull up your bootstraps, work hard and life will reward you.

Really? Is that a guarantee?

Seems like many people are working hard in factories in China (they manufacture our goods, at least they have jobs), but what does all their hard work get them? There are ghost cities sprouting up in China, which are nearly empty as the apartments are too expensive for the average Chinese worker.

Whatever...no one cares.

Quote:
And don't bother waiting for anyone to actually help you. Most people would rather kick you when your down instead of helping.
This is so true...don't get me going on the cultural differences between poor/middle class whites, upper middle class/rich whites, Jewish, and Asian households in America. Let's just say poor/middle class whites are the worst when it comes to helping other poor/white middle class whites (especially their own families). They would rather see you worse off than them, then actually help you when you are down. But I am sure the CD Mods will cut this comment anyway.

Quote:
Sure, some people truly get lucky and are just handed opportunity, jobs or businesses through family, but oh well, you have no control over that and if that isn't in your cards, it isn't.
Agree. Sometimes life doesn't give you everything you want, or even a fraction of what you think you deserve from all your hard work. Life really is random. One day you are doing well the next day the Universe throws some bad luck your way (you get cancer, your house gets burglarized, you get laid off from your job, etc.). I think the Universe finds it funny to mess with people. I guess it really is kind of funny.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
You have to bust your chops in this country. Nothing is free. I learned the hard way but fortunately I'm on my way to getting a job that pays more than what I'm making now.

I got into the Department of Education as a substitute teacher and I'm sure its going to lead to good things in the future.

Whining isn't the way to go.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Really you should blame your fellow countrymen. They make up the market that wants ultra-cheap goods filling the shelves at Wallyworld. They aren't willing to pay slightly more to ensure middle class jobs for Americans. They would rather shop at Walmart where the employees rely on welfare to survive, instead of going across the street to the union shop that pays their clerks a living wage.
There is the catch-22. Those underemployed and unemployed depend on the Walmarts and other low cost providers of Chinese imported goods to survive. Bringing back manufacturing means higher pay for some, but higher costs for all. How much good does it do to make a few more dollars an hour if you have to pay more for everything?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM

486 posts, read 991,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is the catch-22. Those underemployed and unemployed depend on the Walmarts and other low cost providers of Chinese imported goods to survive. Bringing back manufacturing means higher pay for some, but higher costs for all. How much good does it do to make a few more dollars an hour if you have to pay more for everything?
It would do me really good if I could get a job manufacturing goods here in America. I would then have a job. I would then have a paycheck. I would then have money to spend on the goods produced here in America EVEN IF the goods cost more to buy.

Right now, I have NO job. No paycheck. No money to buy goods, be they made in China or America.

I wanted to buy new pillows for my bed. No can do, I have no extra cash for such luxury. I need a new toner cartridge for my printer (gotta print those resumes to bring with me on interviews and job fairs), no can do as I have no extra cash for such luxury. I would love to lease a decent car, so I can have reliable transportation for a job (should I ever get one). No can do as I have no extra cash or income for such luxury. I could go on and on...

BTW, when I do go to the Dollar Store I specifically search out goods made in America and I buy those goods over goods made in China. Of course, most of the goods made in America are made from imported parts/ingredients.

We need the manufacturing jobs to come back to America. Period.

But it won't happen in my lifetime.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Manufacturing isn't going to return like it was in the past where a low skilled person would be paid 30+/hr on an assembly line. Those days are long gone never to return. Manufacturing today is about automation and robotics. It is what it is. Adapt or fall behind
^^^This it won't ever be back. So if people are waiting for it to happen, IMO they are waiting in vain. It's all computerized and that's not going to change.

OP have you thought about trade school? There seems to be a shortage of electricians, plumbers etc. Are you good fixing things? My handyman charges $70/hour. Maybe you could do something like that part time at least.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:02 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Jeez...have a little bit of compassion or empathy, you never know when you may end up like the rest of us deplorable unemployed losers. You can "do everything right" and still you may end up unemployed or working a job at $11 an hour.

I swear 50% of the American population has the mentality "I've got mine...f*** you."

Anyway, I watch the show "American Greed" and the OP is correct, in order to make big money fast, you have to be a scammer/white color criminal - just look at Wall Street and our politicians.

Not that anyone cares...
I care.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM

260 posts, read 427,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I swear 50% of the American population has the mentality "I've got mine...f*** you."
This is the PERFECT C-D analogy. No empathy, even though I understand empathy can only go so far. But I'm stealing this quote, if I may...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search