Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times

Advertisements

Will a background check find out if I worked for a company for 4 days. I was never paid but I went through the onboarding process at the first company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,951,790 times
Typically, no. I would go as far as saying the chances are infinitesimally small.

Most background checks consist of credit, criminal history and/or employment verification. It is possible that yourpayroll (if it exists, bc you were not paid) was reported to The Worknumber or similar, but unlikely.

I think you are safe in leaving the position off your application.

What kind of job was this, and when?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,327,530 times
No. They will only know if you tell them and it is verified through HR.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:36 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,928,646 times
no; the background check verifies what you put on your application (education, jobs, etc). The background checkers are not private investigators looking into your past.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 911 times
Companies conduct background verification checks to get information about your past work history, criminal records, educational credentials, and residential proof. Today, almost all firms run background checks on candidates before offering the job.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:31 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,259,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dame247 View Post
Will a background check find out if I worked for a company for 4 days. I was never paid but I went through the onboarding process at the first company.
No. Companies who use third-party services to do the background check, only do so with the information for your employment history that you have provided. Their purpose is to verify you worked where you said you did. If you left off the place you worked for 4 days from your resume, there is no way for them to even know about it. If where you worked isn't to your credit for the job you are applying for, then don't list it on your resume.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:01 PM

23,264 posts, read 23,621,950 times
I’ve had several pre-hire background checks completed with HireRight and Sterling and can confirm that these companies only verified what information was provided.

I once had worked for an employer that was acquired by another company (and the office I worked for closed.) The background check company asked for a previous paystub to verify my employment and I was fine.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:30 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,856,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
No. Companies who use third-party services to do the background check, only do so with the information for your employment history that you have provided. Their purpose is to verify you worked where you said you did. If you left off the place you worked for 4 days from your resume, there is no way for them to even know about it. If where you worked isn't to your credit for the job you are applying for, then don't list it on your resume.
What if the prospective employer hires the OP, only for the OP to find out that an ex-colleague (or even former manager) from the four-day job also happens to work there? Should they remember the OP, I'm sure they'd talk and word would get around about the undisclosed job, no?

Old 10-29-2021, 07:37 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,871,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
What if the prospective employer hires the OP, only for the OP to find out that an ex-colleague (or even former manager) from the four-day job also happens to work there? Should they remember the OP, I'm sure they'd talk and word would get around about the undisclosed job, no?
LOL. Very unlikely and unrealistic.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:55 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,259,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
No. They won't talk, because they really don't care. It is always going to be a big deal to the person who quit a job, but to the company and former managers it is business as usual. People come and go all the time. Someone quitting a job after 4 days isn't on the same level of concern as if they committed arson on an office building. So there is no word to get around, because it isn't considered important information. Managers don't break down, cry and get hysterical because an employee left, it isn't like a romantic relationship to them. It isn't a traumatic event. It may have been to the employee, but not to the company, because no company would stay in business having such emotional attachments and reactions to changes in their environment.

Again, leaving off an employer or self-employed activity that isn't of credit to the job you are applying for is not lying and it isn't being deceitful. Employment history is history of your employment and activities that is pertinent to the specific job. If you actually gained something useful having worked there for 4 days before quitting that relates to the job you are applying for, then it is to your credit to list it. But if you worked in accounting for the last 5 years and in-between jobs you worked at a car crash for 4 days cleaning cars, that should be left off unless you are applying for a job to be the accountant for a chain of car washes and you think that would help.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 11-01-2021 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search