Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Exactly. If she can't work, then he is stuck at that job. I would never consider a career change in his position.

Did I not make it clear that we live in one of if not THE most expensive town in Fla...No we did not choose to live here our parents moved here.... we cannot afford to live here. We will never be able to buy a home on a $70k salary, we've tried.. twice...

It sounds to me like there are a lot of high and mighty people on here wanting to crap all over us. $50K salary isn't even middle class anymore and some of you are making it like we're asking for $150,000 a year. I have no doubt that if you were in our position you wouldn't be taking a $30,000 a year pay cut, probably even if you weren't in our position. That is an absurd notion. $50,000 doesn't even get you a house now a days and hardly a rental so unless you'd like your taxes to pay for my food stamps perhaps a little more help and less crapping all over us would be cool.

So sorry if people want a livable wage to support their families. Maybe some of you saying you wouldn't pay your assistants and such those salaries are part of the problem. Especially those who have degrees and graduated top 15% of their class. Obviously that person has dedication and perseverance . It sounds like some of you graduated in the 70's and got a job with a high enough salary to buy a house in year cause you paid off your tuition on PT work all summer.

My husband is burnt out in law enforcement.. Period. hes burnt out on 14+ hour shifts always at night. All holidays (did i mention he doesn't get any holiday pay, its all straight time) all birthdays, all weekends. He's BURNT.. OUT.. Do you know how taxing it is on ones mind to answer 911 calls of people hysterical and screaming and dying or dead for 15 years? Most people don't last 1 year at the job from PTSD let alone 15. You'd think we were asking for the Earth to shift because my husband wants a career change.

Not trying to be mean but jesus christ. We're not morons..

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 04-18-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why didn't he do some research before choosing that degree? Sounds like neither of you thought ahead when you were deciding what he wanted to get a degree in. You can't depend on college advisors.

He did and his prior family members has been very successful in that field. He also wanted to get into it, he enjoys it. He's amazing with math and economics. He never even bought economic books his entire college career and graduated top of his class. To say finance isn't a decent degree is pretty insane.. His grandfather, two uncles, and father retired as multi-millionaires in the field. I'm not sure where you're going with this? Would he have been more successful as a lib arts major painting chalk on the sidewalk?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:43 PM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Would he have been more successful as a lib arts major painting chalk on the sidewalk?
I am a liberal arts major, one of my degrees is a B.A. in Fine Arts. I actually won a chalk sidewalk competition a few years ago. I won $50.00! Not bad for an unemployed Liberal Arts major.

Seriously though, I have been told by many C-D posters the Job Search forum is NOT a therapy forum. Therefore do not expect many posters on here to have any empathy with regard to you and your husband's job searching issues/problems. I guess this forum is only for employed people to give "real-world" advice to the hopeless unemployed who are doing everything wrong in their job search.

Anyhoo, I still post about my job searching failures on C-D. I try to make the posts funny (I *try*), because really, my job search is now a complete farce. If I had any good luck, I could sell my job searching experiences to Hollywood for a sitcom. But alas, good luck has hightailed it out of my life.

I hope your husband gets some good luck in his job search. Good luck will always trump hard work, that's my opinion anyway.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I am a liberal arts major, one of my degrees is a B.A. in Fine Arts. I actually won a chalk sidewalk competition a few years ago. I won $50.00! Not bad for an unemployed Liberal Arts major.

Seriously though, I have been told by many C-D posters the Job Search forum is NOT a therapy forum. Therefore do not expect many posters on here to have any empathy with regard to you and your husband's job searching issues/problems. I guess this forum is only for employed people to give "real-world" advice to the hopeless unemployed who are doing everything wrong in their job search.

Anyhoo, I still post about my job searching failures on C-D. I try to make the posts funny (I *try*), because really, my job search is now a complete farce. If I had any good luck, I could sell my job searching experiences to Hollywood for a sitcom. But alas, good luck has hightailed it out of my life.

I hope your husband gets some good luck in his job search. Good luck will always trump hard work, that's my opinion anyway.

Lol $50.00 is pretty good for sidewalk chalk ! Yah I feel like I've been berated like a small child on here. Clearly its easy for everyone else and the rest of us are just shmucks derping around for jobs. Hubs is spending 4-5 hours a day applying for jobs so this isn't some game to us. This is lively hood. Good luck to you too!

Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Such a common problem, the more money you make the more money you need. I know of so many people that made $30,000 a year that could barely get by, then made $50,000 and could barely get by.
It's hardly the issues of us not being able to get by right now. The issue is long run he's maxed out on pay and we cannot afford a home in the town (nor surrounding towns) and it would be nice to not have to throw away the amount we pay monthly.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Did I not make it clear that we live in one of if not THE most expensive town in Fla...No we did not choose to live here our parents moved here.... we cannot afford to live here. We will never be able to buy a home on a $70k salary, we've tried.. twice...

It sounds to me like there are a lot of high and mighty people on here wanting to crap all over us. $50K salary isn't even middle class anymore and some of you are making it like we're asking for $150,000 a year. I have no doubt that if you were in our position you wouldn't be taking a $30,000 a year pay cut, probably even if you weren't in our position. That is an absurd notion. $50,000 doesn't even get you a house now a days and hardly a rental so unless you'd like your taxes to pay for my food stamps perhaps a little more help and less crapping all over us would be cool.

So sorry if people want a livable wage to support their families. Maybe some of you saying you wouldn't pay your assistants and such those salaries are part of the problem. Especially those who have degrees and graduated top 15% of their class. Obviously that person has dedication and perseverance . It sounds like some of you graduated in the 70's and got a job with a high enough salary to buy a house in year cause you paid off your tuition on PT work all summer.

My husband is burnt out in law enforcement.. Period. hes burnt out on 14+ hour shifts always at night. All holidays (did i mention he doesn't get any holiday pay, its all straight time) all birthdays, all weekends. He's BURNT.. OUT.. Do you know how taxing it is on ones mind to answer 911 calls of people hysterical and screaming and dying or dead for 15 years? Most people don't last 1 year at the job from PTSD let alone 15. You'd think we were asking for the Earth to shift because my husband wants a career change.

No, I certainly would NOT be taking a pay cut like that...especially when I am the bread winner. Hence most of the posts here.

I don't know what choices you have then...if he's that stressed out you're going to have to live on less. There is no magic place that pays what you want.

FYI- it's YOU who is crapping on people who took the time to even acknowledge your thread.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM

881 posts, read 615,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
No, I certainly would NOT be taking a pay cut like that...especially when I am the bread winner. Hence most of the posts here.

I don't know what choices you have then...if he's that stressed out you're going to have to live on less. There is no magic place that pays what you want.

FYI- it's YOU who is crapping on people who took the time to even acknowledge your thread.

The OP is clearly venting...but human nature has this natural tendency to find fault with a complaint -- complaining about a complaint, IOW...it's like The Book of Job, how even his friends believe he's responsible for his own predicament even though we as readers know it was just a silly bet God made with the Devil...I'm an atheist but that's my favorite book in the whole Bible -- so true: life happens, and people have this tendency to believe in a just and orderly universe so ergo it must be something the sufferer is doing wrong!

I mean, there are over five hundred billionaires in this country alone so obviously the rest of us are complete morons, right?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM

838 posts, read 565,590 times
Quote:
70k a year should be PLENTY to purchase a property, I personally know of folks working at McDonalds full-time on a 25-30k/yr salary and have paid off their properties.

At the risk of coming off as a jerk because i don't know your situation; It just seems that you guys aren't willing to compromise or budget.

Have you considered purchasing a cheap 40-60k property anywhere else, Perhaps he can find an affordable property and relocate his job to another state since you cannot afford to live there.

Quote:

As i stated previously it really sounds like you're not willing to make some sacrifices, If you can't afford your current living situation you can down-size, do some budgeting etc; As for your husband it just sounds like he's going to have to continue working at his current job until he finds any company that will match his current salary which frankly i don't think will happen due to lack of experience within the field.

Has he considered maybe changing his position but continuing within the LE field?

Quote:

You may not be asking for the 'Earth to shift' but you are asking for an 'exception' to be made,
Fact is that him changing to a completely unrelated field to 'put his degree to use' will result in a pay-cut since he would be starting a new career;
It would be unrealistic for his new employer to match his current salary simply because he has experience in an unrelated field, doesn't work like that.

Lastly if he's as burnt-out as you say then perhaps he just needs to use some of his vacation days so he can have some time ALONE,
I sympathize with him that job can be stressful specially after doing it for so many years but it can be so much worst.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:36 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
I went to Indeed and looked for entry level finance in NYC, NY and there were a number of jobs, one in particular that went up to $75K with 0-2 years experience. Even though NYC is a high COL area, you would be able to find an apartment and commute from a number of towns in NJ or Long Island and I don't think it would be that much higher than Naples. I suspect your husband is running into one of two things.

He has an out of state address- just like people trying to get to FL coming from out of state only in the reverse. Do you have any relatives or friends whose address you could use when applying?

His resume may need some work. Although since he's already gotten an offer, this is probably less likely.

Does his college have any job resources? Many, many years ago, I got my first job through the placement office at the college.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Lol $50.00 is pretty good for sidewalk chalk ! Yah I feel like I've been berated like a small child on here. Clearly its easy for everyone else and the rest of us are just shmucks derping around for jobs. Hubs is spending 4-5 hours a day applying for jobs so this isn't some game to us. This is lively hood. Good luck to you too!
I couldn't believe I won the sidewalk chalk painting competition. $50.00 is a pretty good prize. I never win anything. However...

...the week after I won my $50.00, the a*hole neighbor's son across the street from me burglarized my house and stole ALL of my jewelry. I never got any of it back. I should have known that the hammer was going to come down on me. Thanks Universe!

I seem to have a lot of bad/no luck lately. I guess I am not supposed to have money. Oh well, like I said my job search is a farce, as is my life in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search