Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 AM

405 posts, read 569,835 times

Advertisements

I had a phone screen 2 months ago and the recruiter reached out to me saying the company wanted to bring me in and had reconsidered my candidacy. The reason being they are not finding what they are looking for after previously being told I didn't have enough Director experience, but if they had a management position open they would definitely hire me. I thought this was great but I had a few questions first. Was this extended to everyone? Why the change of heart? His response was, "No it's just you that they changed their mind on and the CFO really liked the email you sent asking him to reconsider my candidacy." That's all fine and well but that letter didn't change my level of experience. I was told they would consider me for a Director role or something on a similar level. I stupidly put I would consider a decrease in salary as I'm aware someone with more experience may make the same as me, so it sounds like they are trying to offer me a lower position with lower pay. Thoughts?

Last edited by sonyab523; 04-27-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,185 posts, read 80,329,413 times
You can always refuse the offer, if one is made that is not acceptable to you. It sounds like they were unable to find someone with all of the experience they wanted for the pay they are offering. Perhaps they do consider you to be the closest to that, but are not willing to pay as much as if you did meet their experience level. Since you have already offered to work for less, that makes you even more suitable.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can always refuse the offer, if one is made that is not acceptable to you. It sounds like they were unable to find someone with all of the experience they wanted for the pay they are offering. Perhaps they do consider you to be the closest to that, but are not willing to pay as much as if you did meet their experience level. Since you have already offered to work for less, that makes you even more suitable.
They have a pretty competitive salary range, I'm surprised they couldn't find anyone. I have a call with the recruiter tomorrow for more in sight as what they are looking for that they haven't found yet. Luckily I told them I make more than I do so I have room to negotiate.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,132,274 times
So you asked them to reconsider your candidacy and they are doing just that. What's the problem? Why not go in for the interview before you sweat the details?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 PM

17,635 posts, read 15,358,308 times
Doesn't hurt to interview; whatever you do never except less money than you think you're worth. If you want a director title don't settle for less, because your best negotiating is done when they want you and they don't have you.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
So you asked them to reconsider your candidacy and they are doing just that. What's the problem? Why not go in for the interview before you sweat the details?
The issue is they have now changed to "possibly" a Director role or something similar. I want to make sure that they are not trying to offer me the same exact job but just change the title so they can pay me way less.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 AM

The feedback I received was they offered someone the position who was a VP and he declined because he wanted the VP title. They are looking for someone that is promotable and can grow into the position of VP. I guess I will see how I feel after the interviews. Sounds like they wanted wine on a beer budget and have come to terms with reality. Recruiter did insist the letter I wrote is what drove them to reconsider and that they see potential, potential to offer me less for the same I'm sure.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,487,854 times
Go in with an open mind. It could be exactly what you're saying (trying to get you for less money), but it's worth the look. It could be that they've adjusted their vision because people were asking for more, and they want someone who interviewed for the salary/job originally offered.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:59 PM

I went ahead with the interview and it was exactly what they told the recruiter, that I didn't have enough experience. I'm kind of upset they wasted my time, why have me come in just to tell me what I was told in the phone screen? The recruiter called me and said they are now looking for a senior director or vp candidate which was the opposite of what the recruiter initially told me. I accepted another director position but I'm thinking I should avoid any jobs where recruiters are involved, I've had nothing but bad experiences with their jobs.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,450,945 times
There is only way to find out. What do you have to lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search