Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 04:32 PM

29 posts, read 36,169 times

Advertisements

So long story short, I've been searching for a new job since I started my current one in late 2015. I was hesitant when I took it, but the money was so good I went for it. Anyway, the job was nothing as what I was promised, and for 1.5 years I've barely been doing anything, and when I do, it's nothing related to my career goals (primary market research). I have a new offer though. It's $15K less, 6 less vacation days, certainly longer hours, and about the same commute. But it's a perfect role that will put me on the path towards my goals. Did I also mention that I'd be giving up access to a pension if I stay at my current job 3.5 more years? I don't think I can handle the boredom much longer though. Would you give up amazing perks and hours for a more interesting job? I've tried getting a new role in my current organization, but have been told I need a bit more experience. I think this new role could give me that. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 PM

156 posts, read 123,806 times
This is a tough one because you would so use to making more money. If you feel the experience is worth taking the pay cut than do it. I would like to caution that don't take a job just for experience, also make sure the culture is good, you like your boss, company is good, etc.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
Let's not forget that the entire purpose of going to work is to make money. It doesn't matter how good the work, or the boss, or the culture is, if they stopped paying us, we'd stop going. And ultimately the goal is to accumulate enough money to pay for our current expenses and quality of life, and save enough to retire comfortably. So I'd be really certain that the new position offers enough in experience, culture, etc. to warrant what you're giving up. You can gain more experience towards your future goals at your current job... either by finding ways to expand your duties or by freelancing (which it sounds like you have lots of time to do). Also, be careful what you wish for... it would stink to give up a job where you're bored and under-utilized for one where you're stressed and over-utilized. Good luck and congrats on the job offer!!

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM

405 posts, read 573,191 times
Quality of life is really important but giving up a pension is the part that I'm concerned about as companies rarely offer them now a days. Are you unhappy at your job or just bored?

Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
i wouldn't move; that pension is worth quite a bit.. Also, why take less money? Work is work- do your job and who cares if it's boring? Your daily life should give you fulfillment; not work.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:28 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
What is the 401 match at jobs A and B?
I wouldn't even consider a place that offered only one week of vac a year.
I would leave a boring job in order to advance in my career field, not because I will let the job define who I am.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
what does your current employer say when you ask for more work, for more complex tasks utilizing skills more directly related to your desired career path?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 AM

29 posts, read 36,169 times
I took the new job. My current employer has told me that I'm not allowed to work on projects with our departments research team. They keep telling me new projects are coming, but in reality they don't have anything. I can only ask for so much to expand my skill set and hear "no" so many times. My job could easily be eliminated by years end. Yes, I'm giving up access to a pension (only vested if I stay at least 3.5 more years), but to get the full pension I've got to put in another 30. The reality is that this company may not exist in 30 years. The way I see it is that I'm taking one step backward so I can take a bigger one forward in another couple years. This job starts at 18 vacation days and offers a lot of holidays (not just one week)and the 401ks at both jobs are identical.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:04 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
best of luck on the new gig!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit42 View Post
So long story short, I've been searching for a new job since I started my current one in late 2015. I was hesitant when I took it, but the money was so good I went for it. Anyway, the job was nothing as what I was promised, and for 1.5 years I've barely been doing anything, and when I do, it's nothing related to my career goals (primary market research). I have a new offer though. It's $15K less, 6 less vacation days, certainly longer hours, and about the same commute. But it's a perfect role that will put me on the path towards my goals. Did I also mention that I'd be giving up access to a pension if I stay at my current job 3.5 more years? I don't think I can handle the boredom much longer though. Would you give up amazing perks and hours for a more interesting job? I've tried getting a new role in my current organization, but have been told I need a bit more experience. I think this new role could give me that. What would you do?
I would stay for the pension. A lot can happen in 3.5 years. You may get that promotion sooner than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search