Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:14 PM

334 posts, read 221,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Exactly correct.

Some people put only minimal information into the HRMS web interface, sometimes going as far as listing only the most recent job title and dates, without including details. This forces a hiring manager to refer to the uploaded PDF version of the resume for complete details.

In some cases I am sure people do it to force the review of the painstakingly created resume, in other cases people are annoyed with the HRMS portal. Either way, it annoys me and it counts against the candidate.
Well, what annoys me is when you upload your resume and then, have to fill out every field in an application online! Then, in the area where it asks for Duties, I either copy and paste it right from my resume, or I put "see resume."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Well, what annoys me is when you upload your resume and then, have to fill out every field in an application online!
That annoys me too. A few years ago when I was unemployed and had some time on my hands, plus the need to apply for a bunch of jobs, I tinkered and created a resume that would mostly auto populate the fields in the forms. Saved time in the long run.

In my opinion, one reason companies use HRMS sites and require the fields is to create a level playing field for applicants. It is easier to compare experience if everybody fills things out the same way. One of the great benefits is weeding out functional resumes. I hate those things with a passion.

Quote:
Then, in the area where it asks for Duties, I either copy and paste it right from my resume, or I put "see resume."
If you C&P, I would read it. I sort all applications into three groups/piles. Interview, maybe and reject. If you simply put "see resume", I would dump your application right into the Maybe pile without further review. The maybe pile only gets looked at seriously if I don't have enough applicants in the interview pile. If I do have enough applicants in the interview pile, the Maybe pile turns into the reject pile.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:05 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If you C&P, I would read it. I sort all applications into three groups/piles. Interview, maybe and reject. If you simply put "see resume", I would dump your application right into the Maybe pile without further review. The maybe pile only gets looked at seriously if I don't have enough applicants in the interview pile. If I do have enough applicants in the interview pile, the Maybe pile turns into the reject pile.

Many, many hiring managers expect applicants to follow the instructions to the letter. Don't feel like writing a cover letter today? Many will reject you outright. Don't feel like C&P your information? Many would call tht lazy and reject you outright.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Hello everyone. I have a slight resume issue and hoped I could get some insight here.

I am currently employed since last Summer and am searching for a better position. My current job is not in my resume due to limited space. It will bring my resume to two pages. I have been getting callbacks regularly regardless however it may be necessary in the future to include it as time goes on.

My resume goes back to 1998 to 2016 with only two long term positions. I was promoted in both jobs. My question is how best to navigate this? Is a two page resume frowned upon? If I removed the first job I lose a ton of experience including higher management. If I add the current job, I add some office experience that I didn't have before.

First job is 1998 to 2005 in retail management, second is 2005 to 2016 hotel position with a trainer/shift supervision title.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.
I'd put:
New Position (promoted), ABC Company, City, ST, mm/yy - mm/yy
Old Position, mm/yy - mm/yy

Summary of duties (one paragraph)
- Accomplishments (4 or 5 bullets points)

Try to limit resume to 1-2 pages and no more than 10 to 15 years of history. Always submit in PDF format. I have 20 years of finance/accounting experience, yet my resume is focused on the last 10 years & only 1 page long - one paragraph summarizing my overall duties, and 4 or 5 accomplishments.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I'd put:
New Position (promoted), ABC Company, City, ST, mm/yy - mm/yy
Old Position, mm/yy - mm/yy

Summary of duties (one paragraph)
- Accomplishments (4 or 5 bullets points)

Try to limit resume to 1-2 pages and no more than 10 to 15 years of history. Always submit in PDF format. I have 20 years of finance/accounting experience, yet my resume is focused on the last 10 years & only 1 page long - one paragraph summarizing my overall duties, and 4 or 5 accomplishments.
Thank you. Still working on this resume after having to take a break from when i started the thread. I have heard about last ten years only should be included. I could eliminate the 1998 to 2005 job though It removes strong management experience. My last job alone was 11 years. Is over 10 years experience not relevant? Does experience "age out" so to speak? One employer told me something that long ago does not interest them.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 PM

724 posts, read 448,694 times
Yes it is relevant

Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Yes, experience does age out, but you should still put a job down on your resume if you think it is relevant and going to help you.

It also depends on what the jobs are, and how related they are. As an example, if your job 11 years ago was managerial, and for the past 11 years you have worked as an electrician, the old job experience will be heavily discounted if you are going into a pure managerial role. If you are going into construction management, it is complementary to your experience as an electrician.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Thank you. Still working on this resume after having to take a break from when i started the thread. I have heard about last ten years only should be included. I could eliminate the 1998 to 2005 job though It removes strong management experience. My last job alone was 11 years. Is over 10 years experience not relevant? Does experience "age out" so to speak? One employer told me something that long ago does not interest them.

Not only does it age you out, but it also could indicate a person who hasn't kept up to date in their field. Technologies, policies, and procedures related to the workplace, in almost every industry, continue to evolve at a rapid pace. Therefore, experience older than 10-15 years may be outdated, hence the reason for not putting "aged out" experience on you resume. However, in your case putting from 2005 to present should be sufficient. Also, try keeping it to 1 to 2 pages, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search