Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 05:40 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I am definitely not a "pro-give-out-your-number-in-any-case"person.

Other than to get active and call our elected representatives, join organizations and lobby for certain rules about what companies can and can't ask -- then on a case-by-case basis all we can do as individual job hunters -- is apply at the given company or not.

I had spent way to much time anyway on an online application for a major medical center when the application asked for my SSN -- and pre-authorization to ask for a credit check. Couldn't apply without all that. Just on principle I wasn't willing to give that info -- yet.

I wanted to work there...but that turned me off so much that I did not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Just as in the example above, for the second time, I have run into an online application where the company -- a very good one very what I can tell -- wanted my SSN and authorization for a credit check -- just to apply online.

I know it's a case of, "they have the job and if I want it, I have to submit the information they request."
But as much as I think I would like to work for that company, unless I get desperate, I won't apply there because I don't think that's information they need just at the initial application stage.

I will say I haven't run into this situation often. The last time it happened was 10 years ago. Maybe it's happening more often I don't know. I also haven't looked for a job in 10 years.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
I will not give my SSN, especially if they are asking for detailed work history including salary, to an organization unless they can prove to me a direct business need.

In my current job search, I interviewed with two places that had a need -

Lockheed Martin - this was for a job that required security clearances and they wanted to run a basic check before they brought you in for an interview. They also had security considerations to let me into their facility as well.

Local Community college - They had residency requirements that they to abide by.

If I never heard of the place, I am not going to be inclined to apply. I have no way of knowing if it is a fly by night operation that adheres to best practices and I want my pound of flesh if they get hacked.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietteToma View Post
Why provide all that confidential information if there's a chance I might not even receive an offer?
Why NOT provide it if there's a chance you might?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why NOT provide it if there's a chance you might?
Do you not watch the news?

People should have a legit concern about keeping this sort of stuff to themselves.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Local Community college - They had residency requirements that they to abide by.
There are other ways to check residency without giving them your Social. Now, an educational institution may want to do a background check and credit check in any event. But they don't need the OK for that initially.

In my case the first place was not a "JOHNny" come lately -- but a major medical institution in the Mid-Aatlantic. The other was a major convenience store chain that started out as a dairy in eastern PA.

Of course there IS a point where prospective employers will get the SSN and/or do a credit check. But not just for me to submit the online application. When I know your at least interested in talking with me further, like maybe after the first interview, THEN you get that info.

They ask, because they CAN. And because some people will give up the info. But there are major corporations and institutions all over the country that DO NOT ask for that just so you can apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search