U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM

11,259 posts, read 8,414,613 times

Advertisements

I'm throwing applications out there to see where I end up. I'm trying for a promotion/transfer. Once I get the promotion, I can apply for one more level up before retirement.

Without getting in the weeds about my career field, etc, I do work for the gov't and am currently in New England. I'd love to end up in one of the "good for retirement" states. I have about 6+ yrs until retirement. I'm in a field I could stay longer if I wanted to. I love my job.

So far I've been from TN to CT to HI to GA to CT. I've always paid my own relocation expenses.

My sister (only sibling) is in Denver so I applied in Boulder. Colorado is #2 for best retirement states on the list I printed out.

I applied to a job at Wallops Island. Virginia is #6 and I have dear friends there. I grew up in VA but probably wouldn't want to be there forever.

I applied to Guam. It's a promotion but there's no locality pay and that factors into retirement. That wouldn't be a big problem since I could do 2 or 3 years there, then transfer back to the US and get my "high 3" back here.

I was selected for a job in NYC/Manhattan (in January) but the agency is going through some chaos post-hiring freeze. No word on a start date so I said "to heck" and started applying again. I'd really like to do this one. The organization is great for promotion - at least it always has been. Not sure of that now. I'd probably get a room and commute home on weekends. Locality pay is great. Also they pay some commuter expense.

I've also interviewed for an Upstate NY job, near Plattsburgh. I love that area. Not where I'd want to be forever. Locality pay isn't much. I think the hiring official wants me but it's the same organization as Manhattan and there may be some conflict between the two. I'm hoping that not hearing back on this one means NYC is about to break loose.

There's an application out there for Key West. Sorta old. I probably need to follow up and get that one off my list if they've already filled it. I really only applied there because my other half has always complained that he's never moved to the Bahamas and that's as close as I can get him, probably. I've been to Key West a couple of times and am not sure I'd really want to be there. MY OTHER HALF IS NOW OUT OF THE EQUATION.

I could keep applying for Djibouti Africa but....really? I don't think so. Not at this point.

Mostly I started this thread in case anyone wants to follow the adventure. I don't get to choose unless more than one makes an offer. I apply for jobs to where I'm willing to relocate. Usually, if they offer, I have to accept or reject. Not like I can string them along. So far that's it. New jobs might open tomorrow, being Monday. I'll keep you informed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
Dijibouti africa is nice this time of year

houston has high locality for some reason when the col isnt as high

Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM

hmmm. I see "Houston-the Woodlands" has a higher locality pay than here in CT. I really love Texas, too, have some great friends there. I need green trees, though. One thanksgiving we went on a trail ride to see fall foliage. One tree. That was it. About 700 acres. It was pretty, but...

Djibouti? I have a friend there now and many co-workers who have been. I guess the money makes it worth it? Horn of Africa area. Seems like it could get hairy there. My military days are over. No more gas masks! (Probably)

Saw a job in Arkansas today but it's at the bottom of the list. It sure would be pretty there. Hard to get on at the VA.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Just applied to Hawaii. Different organization than when I was there before. I'm on the fence about Arkansas.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Okay, yeah, wth. Arkansas. I'm reading NWA is a quickly growing area.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 PM

Boulder is out. "Not Referred" Ah well. I'd rather get that news right up front rather than waiting and wondering.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:56 PM

AAGGHH! Upstate NY "Not Selected". Ouch. Probably a good blow to my ego and pride.
I'm not going to apply to Djibouti. I'd have to doctor up my resume and do a little stretching of the truth to get myself in the running and I just don't have the energy.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Just applied to Austin. That would be fantastic with the dear friends I have in Hill Country. Texas is 23 on my list of good places to retire. At least it's in the top half.

Where I am now, CT is only ahead of Alaska, California and Hawaii in cost of living expense.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 PM

The Boulder job was re-advertised, which probably means the person they pre-selected messed up their application. I reapplied anyway.

My application to Arkansas was referred to hiring official. So that means I came back qualified. The next step will be an email saying "although you are qualified, you are not among the best qualified" -OR- I'll get an interview. It's NW AR...pretty. It's at the bottom of the list of great places to retire, just above AK and WV. It's a 12.

Nothing else to report.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
I think a couple of years in Guam would be a pretty neat experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or