Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times

Advertisements

I had an interview at an organisation I'd love to work for. About 1/4th of the early segment of the interview was a bit of a disaster, but I think I recovered in the latter 3/4th of the interview.

I have been given a writing task by which the decision will be made if I am chosen for the second interview.
(I completed the task tonight, just have to wait for a proofread and I will send it in).

There are other recent jobs that have come available at the same organisation. My position is that I would happily take any job there, and I would like to apply for these other roles.

However, they did tell me that the last person to hold the job I just interviewed for left after 9 months for another position in the org and they were a bit disappointed. They quizzed me on things I am passionate about and seemed to be worried that I might do the same (I am not interested in job hopping, after grad school I quite want some stability for several years!)

However, I am wondering if it would be a bad sign to apply for these other positions and should I hold out and see where this one takes me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I had an interview at an organisation I'd love to work for. About 1/4th of the early segment of the interview was a bit of a disaster, but I think I recovered in the latter 3/4th of the interview.

I have been given a writing task by which the decision will be made if I am chosen for the second interview.
(I completed the task tonight, just have to wait for a proofread and I will send it in).

There are other recent jobs that have come available at the same organisation. My position is that I would happily take any job there, and I would like to apply for these other roles.

However, they did tell me that the last person to hold the job I just interviewed for left after 9 months for another position in the org and they were a bit disappointed. They quizzed me on things I am passionate about and seemed to be worried that I might do the same (I am not interested in job hopping, after grad school I quite want some stability for several years!)

However, I am wondering if it would be a bad sign to apply for these other positions and should I hold out and see where this one takes me?
I would say hold off if you can. Chances are the same HR person is reviewing the applications, and you don't want to raise a red flag by applying for multiple positions with different qualifications and responsibilities within the same firm. If you are awarded the position, give yourself at least a year to learn the culture of the organization. Keep in mind as well that different departments within one organization can have very different standards. If you don't get this position, then by all means apply for others within the firm.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:10 AM

Thanks. If I did get the first position I would be happy to stay there as long as they wanted me there. I was just a bit nervous about forgoing other opportunities should the first position fall through.

However, you're right about the same HR person reviewing applications. I don't want it to seem like I am not committed to the hiring process or the potential for this position.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Thanks. If I did get the first position I would be happy to stay there as long as they wanted me there. I was just a bit nervous about forgoing other opportunities should the first position fall through.

However, you're right about the same HR person reviewing applications. I don't want it to seem like I am not committed to the hiring process or the potential for this position.
I'm assuming that you have a broad skill set that qualifies you for more than one position. I think HR people are programmed to assume that each person has one set of qualifications, so when one person has two resumes/CVs that suit two different positions they will be inclined to assume that they are both false. This is what you want to avoid. On the other hand, in a large organization, each department will be assigned an HR person, so there is less chance of this happening. Can I ask whether the company is large (as in gov't or educational institution) or mid-sized?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Well its a political organisation. I have the skillset that aligns with many of the positions there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search