Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I've had the darndest time getting interviews even for jobs I am overqualified for. I have had a few different resumes, this is the current one. Is there any suggestions you all would make?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Sorry, this may hurt.

I see a person who has been unemployed for a couple of years, landed a retail job and was fired within two weeks, and then did a quick, very short temp position with no significant responsibility.

What are you overqualified for?

Get rid of "Qualities" on the right column. Every candidate claims the same things, you aren't saying anything new.

References upon request? Nope. Not going to do it. If I have a job advertised, I am not going to jump through hoops for entry level talent. Include them or not, but don't be coy.

Skills include MS Office and data entry? Those aren't unique at all once again, those are so basic as to be assumed.

Sorry, you have a huge challenge ahead of you. I don't know how to spin what you have into something usable. Are you pursuing anything in the A/E world with your CAD skills?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've had the darndest time getting interviews even for jobs I am overqualified for. I have had a few different resumes, this is the current one. Is there any suggestions you all would make?
You used to be a CAD drafter but now you're a mail clerk? How does that even happen?

I would definitely take off the two-week trial position, you are shooting yourself in the foot there.

What happened to the CAD job?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
References upon request? Nope. Not going to do it. If I have a job advertised, I am not going to jump through hoops for entry level talent. Include them or not, but don't be coy.
Hmm. I've been in the workforce for 35 years and my resume has always had this. I've also done my share of hiring and I take no issue with this blurb being on a candidate's resume. I don't want to see them until I've cleared him for that step. I'm certainly not going to check references the first wave of interviewing.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Thanks for the honest responses, I will take them to heart. I do have another job lined up at a call center starting in a week and a half (they were hiring 1,000 people), at this point it's more about my struggles to get an interview. I know my resume looks terrible now but even when I had been at the first CAD job for 2 years it was a struggle. I am no longer in that industry because there are very few companies in my area with those jobs and outsourcing puts downward pressure on salaries in that industry. I can literally make the same at a warehouse. I did like the first CAD job but I was going through the Marriage from Hell and during a bad period at work I snapped and quit cold turkey. Marriage stress had me at the point of suicide, I wasn't thinking clear. I had a really bad childhood and have no support system from family when I need it. I have almost no contact with my biological family. I'm not saying someone owes me a job because of that, they don't. Just saying that I do try to do the right thing but with my background it's much harder than most people can understand. Second CAD job the work was more complicated and I struggle to maintain needed speed and quality. They found a job I could do really well, then the phone company suddenly decided to take that job back, there was nothing I could do there. Mattress Center job wasn't my fault, they needed someone who could unload a truck of huge mattresses by themselves, plus their sales started going down so they had less need to hire a third person. They gave me a good reference that helped with the call center job I'm waiting to start. One guy that worked they used other coworkers to babysit his 3 year old child. He would also change diapers on top of mattresses that consumers could buy. Yuck. I know a two week trial job looks bad but I wanted to take attention away from lacking formal employment.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I know a two week trial job looks bad but I wanted to take attention away from lacking formal employment.
Two weeks isn't bad to be looking for work. You having it on there will hurt you.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Combine the most recent jobs into one item

Various Employers, Temporary Staffing.

Don't include the line about "Mutually agreed"...

By clearly stating you had temporary positions you don't have to explain why you left.

If you aren't applying for CAD jobs listing software limited to those positions isn't going to help you.

The call center job is going to be a help in showing stable employment. Call centers usually aren't in booming areas though, so moving up is going to be tough in your area.

Is relocating an option? Maybe not now, but once you have a bit of stability on your resume.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
What kind of job are you looking for? That's where you need to start. Adjust your skills and history based on the jobs you are interested in.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Quote:
Sorry, this may hurt.

I see a person who has been unemployed for a couple of years, landed a retail job and was fired within two weeks, and then did a quick, very short temp position with no significant responsibility.

What are you overqualified for?

Get rid of "Qualities" on the right column. Every candidate claims the same things, you aren't saying anything new.

Skills include MS Office and data entry? Those aren't unique at all once again, those are so basic as to be assumed.

Sorry, you have a huge challenge ahead of you. I don't know how to spin what you have into something usable. Are you pursuing anything in the A/E world with your CAD skills?
I agree with this. Overqualified for WHAT??

Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
If the job posting deals with something like MS Office or Data Entry responsibilities, I make sure to include those two skills on the resume. Yes, to be assumed by an actual person, but its even worse to get filtered out by computer software or illiterate HR professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search