Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times

Advertisements

If you want a job you don't have much choice but to keep looking until you find a company that realizes it isn't 2010 anymore, has a real desire to actually hire and is willing to do what it takes to hire people in today's job market.

Of course keep polishing up that resume, cover letter, interview skills, networking more etc..... but you already know that.

I went through this for 3 years and there is no magic bullet. Just keep grinding away and hopefully you stumble across the right person and/or opportunity.

In the mean time, I would also put together other plans in case it doesn't happen for you. You still have to survive somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 PM

371 posts, read 526,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If you want a job you don't have much choice but to keep looking until you find a company that realizes it isn't 2010 anymore, has a real desire to actually hire and is willing to do what it takes to hire people in today's job market.

Of course keep polishing up that resume, cover letter, interview skills, networking more etc..... but you already know that.

I went through this for 3 years and there is no magic bullet. Just keep grinding away and hopefully you stumble across the right person and/or opportunity.

In the mean time, I would also put together other plans in case it doesn't happen for you. You still have to survive somehow.
I am struggling. I had a job that didn't work out. I found out while I was in the job that there had already been two people there before I was hired. One left as he hated the manager and the other person was fired. The person who was fired has 15 years experience like me and the job was essentially a secretarial position.

I don't put it on my resume as I was in school full-time. I have a year gap on my resume, but I was in school that time getting a Masters degree. I am trying to get my CPA.

I might be able to go back to school for a PhD so I am wondering if that is a good move or not.

Why is the country so screwed up? You get hired simply because someone likes you and not your skill set. No wonder why productivity is so low in the US, a lot of that is due to hiring. People get protected in their jobs and don't feel like they have to work hard. Even in the job I described above, the manager had her friend in the other role at my level and she got reviewed poorly but was allowed to keep her job. That is discrimination as the friend was a woman and the manager was a lesbian.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:05 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Don't give up. My friend is knocking on 70 and she just got two job offers. You can do it. Expand your search.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Don't give up. My friend is knocking on 70 and she just got two job offers. You can do it. Expand your search.
Shut up. What type of jobs?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:38 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Shut up. What type of jobs?
She has not responded yet. I just know it is part time and close by. She does not keep them very long but she finds them. She is tenacious and does not look her age.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Not suprised. Seen it many times through out my working life. I've seen good people get thrown out like trash, especially older employees from high positions to low positions, didn't matter. People do nothing to prepare themselves for the day age catches up and you are no longer employable in their eyes or employable at the rate you once enjoyed.

Work for a living but build something on the side, so that one day, when your employer come for you, you can tell them to go to hell because you will be fine and you don't need them.

Have you consider doing some contract side jobs? Start marketing yourself. Stop looking at yourself with an employee mentality, start thinking of yourself as an expert, a consultant in your field and market yourself out to others.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 AM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
You have to have a real skill that not everyone has. My company calls people out of retirement to program PLC's, run a CMM machine, do other skilled work. Go back to school to be a nurse, when my wife was in nursing school she said there were a lot of over 50 students, and she works with a lot of over 50(even over 70) year old people.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 PM

186 posts, read 125,545 times
You're basically screwed like the rest of us. The only jobs available are low skilled or very high skilled. With the amount of low wage jobs available and the numbers of people that work those jobs, I am shocked there aren't like 50 million homeless people in the US. Unless the government lies about the numbers. These low wage jobs aren't enough to pay for freaking car insurance so it's not really worth it. Trumpy Dumpy sold everyone a lie in 2016. It's almost been 1 year and he hasn't created 1 single job. Isn't that why he won these blue collar workers? I'd like to know where they all are now because this would be the right time to start rioting. There should be tons of jobs paying 20-30 hr all over the country but I haven't came across 1. Not 1 single job. Maybe they're all dead? And no things are not going to change in the next 3 years. People are nuts to elect someone president to create jobs. What's more pathetic is that people will wait around 20 years thinking they'll get a job and that day never comes.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
For IT Help Desk and technical support are pretty good jobs to take for 50 and over although don't make yourself wayyy too overqualified nobody likes that.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Anyone with 1) no college degree and 2) long term unemployment (big gap) on their resume will have it hard finding a job, no matter what their age is.

Also, employers might wonder why someone has reached the age of 55 but not completed college yet.

I do not feel age discrimination is solely responsible for the situation you are in. Get your degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search