Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
I call BS.

All the calls I receive are from crappy staffing agencies

Try again Paul.

I don't have to 'try' anything.

I have a job and I don't care what you do. Hang up on all of them for all I care.

What I said is that among spazz, rude and poor excuses for recruiters are those who have, in spite of themselves, viable job orders.

If someone has to take ten spazz calls to get the one with the credible job and credible client, then so be it.

Paul............

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Recruiter Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
I call BS.

All the calls I receive are from crappy staffing agencies

Try again Paul.

Maybe you are a magnet for crappy staffing agencies. You would not be alone in this regard.

I've seen 'crappy recruiters' and I've seen them broadcasting viable opportunities with credible clients.

I watched an employer hire a real slime, in spite of my warnings she would be sorry. I insisted that I didn't want to be within ten miles of such slime but it was her call and he was hired.

He solicited job orders from credible companies and in spite of the fact he was not as competent as he had said, he got viable job orders and had people out on interviews...

I once sat across from someone who also was a slime, a hustler and he was quite offensive. But he also spoke with credible companies that gave him viable job orders.

I lost a client to a recruiter she frankly told me she could not stand; he was offensive and she did not like taking his calls but she did because the bottom line was that every time he called her with a candidate, the recruit was quite competent and a star and she hired every one of them, each time he called.

GO FIGURE.

So like I said, you can hang up on all of them for all I care; I was directing my post to a person who could not even figure out if they should return a call and had to ask a virtual group of strangers to find out what to do.

But since that person is in need of a job, it only takes a few minutes out of that person's life to find out if that bizarro recruiter has a credible client and a viable job order so I suggested that person PICK UP THE PHONE AND FIND OUT.

In sales, I have to go through a of calls to get a viable client. That's the nature of the business.

In your case, you want the best recruiters in the business to be the only ones calling you.

You don't seem to have that kind of Karma.

And until you need a job, you can keep hanging up.

Everyone else needs to return the call.

Paul.....

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 08-11-2017 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typo correction

Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
I am in IT with state of the art skills in data architecture. I normally find positions via word of mouth referrals and a handful of recruiters with whom I have dealt for 10+ years. Before I landed my current position (there for a year now with no end in sight), I had a several month stretch of down time where my network came up empty. I put a functional resume sans companies and dates up on several of the job sites and was inundated by responses from semi-literate "offshore" recruiters in indecipherable Hinglish proffering "greetings of the day" and asking me to share "the below details" which invariably included SSN and date of birth. Although my profile was explicit as to the type of jobs I wanted as well as geographic location and minimum acceptable rate. I was getting calls for 1 month contracts at lowball "all inclusive" rates for QA and system admin jobs 3000 miles away. Some of these assclowns were soliciting resumes for Infosys and Tata who last I checked only hire South Indian males on H-1B visas. These guys were at least 3 degrees of separation from the primary vendor and looking to pump resumes into the vendor portal on the off chance of getting an interview. I also got at least 5 emails for EACH of these jobs. I got well over 500 useless solications from this motley crewI dealt with NONE of them.

A step up from that were the mega staffing firms who contacted me. These recruiters were mostly fresh out of college recruiters who tried hard but really didn't have anything except the usual crappy contracts at the Verizons and the Bank of Americas. They also didn't understand the business well enough to "match make" between the candidate and the client not that it mattered that much for these short term POS gigs.

In the IT game, recruiting as you portray it does not exist below the "C" level and even then, the Board has a short list of candidates they want to romance. Everyone else flies coach as it were.

If you have any ideas on how I can avoid this nonsense in the future and connect with productive recruiters outside the staffing companies, I'm all ears.

Last edited by sonetlumiere; 08-13-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 05:11 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
It is probably for a temp job. Did they follow up with an e-mail?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:14 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Amazing how broken the whole process is. A simple process at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search