Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
What about say a primary care doctor. If my doctor went on a long term vacation for 6 months, I wouldn't right him off saying he can no longer be my doctor because he is long term unemployed so his skills must not be good anymore. That is exactly what employers are doing. Automatic no hire if long term unemployed no matter the reason or position.

As a matter of fact, one of the conclusions when they did that big study on this, was that a person with ZERO industry experience, who was not qualified for the job on paper, but who wasn't long term unemployed, got more interviews than a long term unemployed person who had PERFECT experience for the position.

Basically relevant experience no longer mattered after you where long term unemployed and employers preferred candidates without relevant experience, but who weren't long term unemployed. Even those without relevant experience that where unemployed, just not long term (6 months or more), where preferred.

You would think employers would be smarter than that, but that is exactly what happened.
You are not unemployed while you are on vacation just like you are not unemployed on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Some in this thread do not comprehend the underlined.
I do not think the issue is comprehension. It does not measure success or longevity. Unfortunately, it is a reality and there is not much we can do.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why do you assume that a slurpee machine job is just sitting there waiting for someone who needs a job? Plus you need to know people even for those types of jobs at 7-11. Lot of people think because its a low paying job it's easy to get which is not the case.
Great point. I temped for a year. I was put through the ringer to get that job. At times, it was a lot of work for $12.00 an hour. I never thought that would be a reality for me but it was. Life is not easy.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Great point. I temped for a year. I was put through the ringer to get that job. At times, it was a lot of work for $12.00 an hour. I never thought that would be a reality for me but it was. Life is not easy.
Lot of people forget that those type of jobs are always filled and not sitting there open for someone who wants to work there temporary while they get their life together.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:01 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
This is a definite factor one must consider. Which is why I strongly urge people not to hit the dreaded "long term unemployed" status. To be clear I am not saying once you hit long term unemployed, " It's all over, you will never ever get a good job again", but it comes much harder. At that point you run the risk of HR writing you off immediately. Yea working at Staples or Stop and Shop Part time is not ideal but if it staves off the long term unemployed label, then working the retail, the fast food should be considered.
Good advice.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:47 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
This is a definite factor one must consider. Which is why I strongly urge people not to hit the dreaded "long term unemployed" status. To be clear I am not saying once you hit long term unemployed, " It's all over, you will never ever get a good job again", but it comes much harder. At that point you run the risk of HR writing you off immediately. Yea working at Staples or Stop and Shop Part time is not ideal but if it staves off the long term unemployed label, then working the retail, the fast food should be considered.
Easier today for sure to get that low wage job, but it wasn't that long ago that even those jobs where very difficult to get. And if you where a professional, forget it, they don't want to hire you for those jobs. Lots of people became long term unemployed no matter what they did.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Easier today for sure to get that low wage job, but it wasn't that long ago that even those jobs where very difficult to get. And if you where a professional, forget it, they don't want to hire you for those jobs. Lots of people became long term unemployed no matter what they did.
True. I recall the interviewer stating I was overqualified. I told him not to say that. Lol! I really did. Ha!

Creditors do not care about your experience and education. They are only concerned about your ability to pay debts. I will forever be grateful.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Lot of people forget that those type of jobs are always filled and not sitting there open for someone who wants to work there temporary while they get their life together.
I am not sure what you mean. It is a long term temporary position.

People do not realize what long term unemployment does to a person. You get to a point where you just want to work.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
About 7-8 years ago it was not the stigma it now is because so many were long term unemployed during a severely depressed time. The economy is healthier now so the impression is anyone can get a job.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 AM

270 posts, read 282,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not sure what you mean. It is a long term temporary position.

People do not realize what long term unemployment does to a person. You get to a point where you just want to work.
What he is saying is, people keep saying take any job inbeween looking for a job(For example Burger King), but what people dont understand is just because it's Burger King, that does not mean those jobs are readily available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search